Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

My company apparently offered to build anything the government needs for this crisis. From what I gather we basically got told to stop talking. 

Couldn’t you talk to the states as well. Both the federal and states are out shopping and if you could make one of their products that should be helpful. Did the state say know too?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Essentially because no NCAA tournament revenue.  
The NCAA will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools for 2020 by about $375 million to $225 million, the association announced Thursday.  According to its 2020 Division I Revenue Distribution Plan document, the NCAA had been scheduled to distribute just under $600 million directly to conferences and schools from April 15 through June 10.
NCAA full news release:  http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-presidents-set-revised-financial-distribution-support-college-athletes

IU's official statement.  Especially note the second paragraph.
EUDk10QXsAgctU1?format=jpg%26name=medium&key=115c1b20c46dc2f0f3b5af179c3a78f5eda7112c0a60c20f06d42433e5ca85e9

I don’t think people realize how big that second paragraph is.

24 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Couldn’t you talk to the states as well. Both the federal and states are out shopping and if you could make one of their products that should be helpful. Did the state say know too?

Idk above my pay grade. The types of things we can build would be Large things to be moved around between areas that are suffering most. So maybe not as attractive to states

4 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

I know of three guys who picked it up in Denver. Two were skiing and one on business who works for my company. I think that stuff is running rampant around the Denver airport. Don’t go there guys!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Stay off of planes, trains and buses.   Germ infested tubes of death.   

1 hour ago, Banksyrules said:

The defense protection act

Those talking heads arguing about this act have no clue what it takes to tool up and manufacture something.  And medical supplies are subject to FDA approval -- even with relaxing of the regulations, getting a facility and product FDA approved is a big job.  You just can pull this stuff out of your butt.  The best bet is to work with current manufacturers and increase capacity by going 24/7 or partnering with similar businesses, with similar equipment.  The current manufacturers have the expertise and you can basically copy their processes instead of reinventing the wheel.  Someone has to tell me who is not cooperating -- everything I read is that they are moving mountains to produce.  

The problem is there isn't enough manufacturing left in the country.  We sold our souls to the devil that is global trade for cheap stuff and now we are paying a heavy price.   

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Those talking heads arguing about this act have no clue what it takes to tool up and manufacture something.  And medical supplies are subject to FDA approval -- even with relaxing of the regulations, getting a facility and product FDA approved is a big job.  You just can pull this stuff out of your butt.  The best bet is to work with current manufacturers and increase capacity by going 24/7 or partnering with similar businesses, with similar equipment.  The current manufacturers have the expertise and you can basically copy their processes instead of reinventing the wheel.  Someone has to tell me who is not cooperating -- everything I read is that they are moving mountains to produce.  

The problem is there isn't enough manufacturing left in the country.  We sold our souls to the devil that is global trade for cheap stuff and now we are paying a heavy price.   

Well maybe he should have those manufacturers working 24/7 as a first step. Right now without the ability to jack up prices they lack an economic incentive to make products that have a low margin on straight time and they will probably lose money when they are having to pay time and a half or double time on. 

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

The US just passed China with total cases.  Buckle up.

They have 4 times our population, it started there, and we have more than them now?  Yikes.  We've done a terrible job with this

They have 4 times our population, it started there, and we have more than them now?  Yikes.  We've done a terrible job with this
Yes that's partially true...but don't believe everything that the Chinese government puts out.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Yes that's partially true...but don't believe everything that the Chinese government puts out.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Very true.  But I kinda feel that way about our government too...

Very true.  But I kinda feel that way about our government too...

How many journalists in the US have gone missing over getting the word out about COVID-19? Our government is far from perfect, they do a terrible job but they struggle to cover things up like the Chinese.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well maybe he should have those manufacturers working 24/7 as a first step. Right now without the ability to jack up prices they lack an economic incentive to make products that have a low margin on straight time and they will probably lose money when they are having to pay time and a half or double time on. 

Show me who is refusing to ramp up production.  

https://news.3m.com/press-release/company-english/3m-partners-ford-help-further-accelerate-covid-19-response

https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-mask-and-the-coronavirus-more-production-underway

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/soaring-demand-for-ventilators-creates-political-tension-promises-to-ramp-up-manufacturing-2020-03-25

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How many journalists in the US have gone missing over getting the word out about COVID-19? Our government is far from perfect, they do a terrible job but they struggle to cover things up like the Chinese.

Ehh, all they have to do is scream "Fake News" and half the population believes it.  Cover up complete.

Ehh, all they have to do is scream "Fake News" and half the population believes it.  Cover up complete.

But it gets reported in the first place.. and there are places you can actually find the real news. That doesn’t quite happen in China.. I guess it kind of is the same (?)

35 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

They are starting a new production line not exactly the same as running their existing line 24/7. 

Do you have any clue how long it takes to get a production line up and moving at the same productivity as an already existing one. 

We currently have medical schools and dentists offices donating PPE to hospitals because production isn’t ramping up. 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They are starting a new production line not exactly the same as running their existing line 24/7. 

Do you have any clue how long it takes to get a production line up and moving at the same productivity as an already existing one. 

We currently have medical schools and dentists offices donating PPE to hospitals because production isn’t ramping up. 

Both NY gov and NYC mayor say the have enough supplies for the next week or two.  You haven’t shown me who is not cooperating and doing everything possible which would necessitate use of the defense production act.