Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

The rates in different areas are different because the density and travel characteristics are different.  LA is not seeing the same thing as NY.  LA's first case was Jan 26th.  NY's first case was March 1.  Washington state had it's first case on Jan 21st and First death on 2/19.  I am thinking density and public transportation is a huge factor in the spread.  

I would assume that's indeed a factor.  I would imagine acceleration rate is much faster in high density populations.  But that's just an assumption.  I lived in LA for a decade.  I lived in a beach town and we lived on top of each other there.  And the town I lived in had an estimated population of 750k.  Mass trans is completely different in LA compared to NYC that's for sure and that might be a big factor of the spread.  That being said I have very little doubt that LA will be effected though.  I also believe Florida will be our next region hit pretty hard.  Again, mid April, we as a country will get a better understanding of what's going on.  

Edit:  Another thought as to why the rates are different are due to the amount of testing?  It'll be interesting to see if NY is testing more than CA and WA.

I would assume that's indeed a factor.  I would imagine acceleration rate is much faster in high density populations.  But that's just an assumption.  I lived in LA for a decade.  I lived in a beach town and we lived on top of each other there.  And the town I lived in had an estimated population of 750k.  Mass trans is completely different in LA compared to NYC that's for sure and that might be a big factor of the spread.  That being said I have very little doubt that LA will be effected though.  I also believe Florida will be our next region hit pretty hard.  Again, mid April, we as a country will get a better understanding of what's going on.  

Edit:  Another thought as to why the rates are different are due to the amount of testing?  It'll be interesting to see if NY is testing more than CA and WA.

Yeah, I lived in Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo back in the 80’s/ early 90’s. Big difference between the “Freeway” culture vs the “subway” culture. Sure hope your wrong about Florida. So many older folks down here. We just need New Yorkers to stay outta here for awhile. It’s the worst in dade and Broward counties. Ie Miami and Ft Lauderdale. We’ve had problems with the bug being imported from the NE.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Yeah, I lived in Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo back in the 80’s/ early 90’s. Big difference between the “Freeway” culture vs the “subway” culture. Sure hope your wrong about Florida. So many older folks down here. We just need New Yorkers to stay outta here for awhile. It’s the worst in dade and Broward counties. Ie Miami and Ft Lauderdale. We’ve had problems with the bug being imported from the NE.

Honestly, I'll gladly eat crow on any of my predictive thoughts/opinions.  Gladly.

In just two days the world is going to hit the 5th 100k case.  We hit 400k cases on 3/24 and today we're going to hit 500k easy.  This thing is on a massive trajectory at a speed like nothing we've seen in our lifetime.  And the US is just getting started.  

Please take this very seriously folks and if you know someone in the front lines at a hospital thank them.  They're gonna need some love and encouragement.  They're our soldiers in this battle.    

On 3/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Golfman25 said:

The rates in different areas are different because the density and travel characteristics are different.  LA is not seeing the same thing as NY.  LA's first case was Jan 26th.  NY's first case was March 1.  Washington state had it's first case on Jan 21st and First death on 2/19.  I am thinking density and public transportation is a huge factor in the spread.  

What is yet to be seen is what happens as people flee New York City to try to go to safer places and unwittingly transport the virus elsewhere.  That's not likely to be the case amount the poor and lower middle class that don't own transportation and don't have the means to leave or places to go.  I know in northern Italy they are restricting people from going in and out of certain provinces.  That is something that they could ultimately attempt, though don't know how successful they would be.  It's the stuff of horror movies.

24 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What is yet to be seen is what happens as people flee New York City to try to go to safer places and unwittingly transport the virus elsewhere.  That's not likely to be the case amount the poor and lower middle class that don't own transportation and don't have the means to leave or places to go.  I know in northern Italy they are restricting people from going in and out of certain provinces.  That is something that they could ultimately attempt, though don't know how successful they would be.  It's the stuff of horror movies.

I've read that several states are enacting 14-day quarantines for people entering their state/city for people coming from the NYC metro area. Towns in the East End forks of Long Island are also contemplating keeping out people that think they're in the clear by going to their summer homes months early. NYC is such a petri dish for sharing anything yet alone a once in a century pandemic.

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

I've read that several states are enacting 14-day quarantines for people entering their state/city for people coming from the NYC metro area. Towns in the East End forks of Long Island are also contemplating keeping out people that think they're in the clear by going to their summer homes months early. NYC in such a petri dish for sharing anything yet alone a once in a century pandemic.

I just don't know how that is enforceable at this point.  I know Cuomo has  stated anyone leaving NYC needs to quarantine for 14 days and I'm sure that a certain segment with the ability to do so will, but not everyone will have the means or fortitude to do so.

I live in a part of Indiana fairly unaffected -- I'm not really that far from Chicago -- about an hour drive -- but at this point it seems a world away.  Chicago has certainly been hit, but nothing like NYC.

25 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

As long as they don't get on a bus, train or plane, it won't spread like it has in NYC.  The more space you have and the less public transportation, the better off you'll be.  

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I just don't know how that is enforceable at this point.  I know Cuomo has  stated anyone leaving NYC needs to quarantine for 14 days and I'm sure that a certain segment with the ability to do so will, but not everyone will have the means or fortitude to do so.

I'm in the proverbial 'belly of the beast'. I'm home from work cuz 2 people in my building have been verified as positive for COVID-19(municipal gov't). In my situation as most others, you're better off staying home and not moving if your biggest worry is spreading the virus. These jackasses are potentially are making it worse by going to the Hamptons, the Jersey Shore, or wherever else they have a vacation home.

I'm in the proverbial 'belly of the beast'. I'm home from work cuz 2 people in my building have been verified as positive for COVID-19(municipal gov't). In my situation as most others, you're better off staying home and not moving if your biggest worry is spreading the virus. These jackasses are potentially are making it worse by going to the Hamptons, the Jersey Shore, or wherever else they have a vacation home.

Yeah, they are to good to stay at home so they get on a plane to Florida . To the tune of 180 ish flights a day from nyc to Florida and bringing us the gift that keeps on giving. That’s from our governor by the way! Miami-Dade, and Broward- Ft. Lauderdale have 616 and 504 respectively . Those counties are on Stay at Home and they keep coming. There’s 65 now in Naples and they’re coming here too. It sucks! I’m pissed! Do ya think they are going to self quarantine for 14 days? Lol. Hell no!

21 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

As long as they don't get on a bus, train or plane, it won't spread like it has in NYC.  The more space you have and the less public transportation, the better off you'll be.  

I'm not sure that'll be the case.  I think any town regardless of size is susceptible based on how it spreads.  People go to grocery stores.  People got to gas stations.  People go to parks.  It just takes a location like these examples and it spreads like wildfire.  

Does anyone know the test rate NY has over all other states in the country?  It'll interesting to see if that's a factor.  

Palm beach county has 169 where Stuhoo is! Maybe he can chime in here. This is ***’d! And those idiots are t just coming here. Where else are they going? Look out!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Yeah, they are to good to stay at home so they get on a plane to Florida . To the tune of 180 ish flights a day from nyc to Florida and bringing us the gift that keeps on giving. That’s from our governor by the way! Miami-Dade, and Broward- Ft. Lauderdale have 616 and 504 respectively . Those counties are on Stay at Home and they keep coming. There’s 65 now in Naples and they’re coming here too. It sucks! I’m pissed!

I posted it in the old CV thread that I thought domestic flights should've been suspended for a weekend similarly to how flights were grounded in the near aftermath of 9/11. It wouldn't have been sureproof but it could've limited how many CV spreaders would've moved the virus to 'new' communities.

I know of three guys who picked it up in Denver. Two were skiing and one on business who works for my company. I think that stuff is running rampant around the Denver airport. Don’t go there guys!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Does anyone know the test rate NY has over all other states in the country?  It'll interesting to see if that's a factor.  

Last weekend, NY was testing people higher than the equivalent rate of mainland Europe. The past few days due to lack of supply, most tests were being done once patients were admitted to hospital.

3 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Last weekend, NY was testing people higher than the equivalent rate of mainland Europe. The past few days due to lack of supply, most tests were being done once patients were admitted to hospital.

Thanks for sharing.  So it looks like NY is testing more than the rest of the country.  That might explain the count discrepancy.  

Essentially because no NCAA tournament revenue.  

The NCAA will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools for 2020 by about $375 million to $225 million, the association announced Thursday.  According to its 2020 Division I Revenue Distribution Plan document, the NCAA had been scheduled to distribute just under $600 million directly to conferences and schools from April 15 through June 10.

NCAA full news release:  http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-presidents-set-revised-financial-distribution-support-college-athletes

IU's official statement.  Especially note the second paragraph.