Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

This should scare everyone a whole lot more than anything about the virus itself.
[/url]  

Yea there will be a lot of people filing for unemployment just to get paid while businesses are closed for the time being. Plus the amount of small businesses that won’t be able to handle it. Though I’m sure some towns and utility companies will suspend bills or **** offs to try and help.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The scary curves being bandied about show number of cases.  They are not adjusted for population. We have way more people — 300+mil vs 60 mil.  So we will have more total cases, but based on population we’ll be much less affected.  

Yes.  This.   More tests is going to equal more positive tests.   It's also going to equal more negative tests, and that number is one that's kind of invisible.   Our total cases, if every other country's curve is any indication, should start to round off in 7-10 days.   It may be longer, simply because of timing of testing and results, but this virus is not "aggressive," it's just contagious as hell. 

"Social distancing" has to eventually show its face.  And it will once the initial phase is over, and we're right in the middle of that now.  That will show in fewer cases per day and a lower death rate (God willing).   Our "curve" is steep specifically because we're doing more and more testing.  We're a week or two away from getting results in less than an hour.  Wait until THAT starts.  The curve will get steeper and more cases will be reported.   But so will total recoveries and a lower death %.  Then, I believe it will begin to taper off.  That's nothing more than some slightly educated logic; but I do believe it.

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I think you are right. We put in early mitigation but the testing is really just now picking up. Hopefully the mitigation helps flatten the curve.

Does the population of the US being higher than all but China create a steeper curve too?

We haven’t really put in mitigation efforts at least not serious ones. At this point Italy had gone into full lockdown. 2 days ago we still had people spring breaking. 

And no the way viruses spread doesn’t mean the curve will be steeper because our large population. It just means it can go higher than others.  Our steep curve is the result of those other countries having more effective efforts to curb spread.  Combined with under reporting of cases early by not testing. 

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

That sounds scary (US is on a steep curve) but what does that mean? The fact is COVID -19 is only dangerous to the old and infirm. That isn't good news, but also isn't a reason to panic and institute draconian measures like the ridiculous "shelter in place." Children are basically immune to it, so our efforts should be on protecting those that are vulnerable (again ONLY the old and immuno-compromised) and definitely NOT pretending it's the black plague and everyone is equally at risk. Most of what we hear and see is hysteria and fear-mongering. Look at the facts and it's a LOT less scary. Over-reacting is the greatest danger, IMO. Fear is much more contagious than COVID-19 and has a greater potential for harm. 

We've already damaged our economy enormously and if you think that doesn't impact people's lives and health you aren't paying attention. Second, the restrictions are creating the possibility of damaging our supply lines for food, etc. Not because people are sick, but because of the artificial constraints in place. If store shelves are empty there will be civil unrest. Once that begins all bets are off. Fortunately, I don't believe those things will happen. I believe in 2-3 weeks the truth will become obvious (there won't be millions of corpses lying in the streets or even overwhelmed hospitals) and normalcy will slowly resume. 

Half of people in hospitals in New York aren’t elderly or infirm. Couldn’t find that source but this article refuted only the old and sick are at risk. Almost like the data from China was cooked or something. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/19/younger-adults-are-large-percentage-coronavirus-hospitalizations-united-states-according-new-cdc-data/%3foutputType=amp

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We haven’t really put in mitigation efforts at least not serious ones. At this point Italy had gone into full lockdown. 2 days ago we still had people spring breaking. 

And no the way viruses spread doesn’t mean the curve will be steeper because our large population. It just means it can go higher than others.  Our steep curve is the result of those other countries having more effective efforts to curb spread.  Combined with under reporting of cases early by not testing. 

Half of people in hospitals in New York aren’t elderly or infirm. Couldn’t find that source but this article refuted only the old and sick are at risk. Almost like the data from China was cooked or something. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/19/younger-adults-are-large-percentage-coronavirus-hospitalizations-united-states-according-new-cdc-data/%3foutputType=amp

That 'report' from the cdc says nothing about pre existing conditions in those people who were hospitalized. Only 9 of the 3200 people who had died in Italy as of a few days ago were under the age of 40. 

Already happening and our economy is going to get a lot worse before it starts to recover.

545c9d704f010138f299005056a9545d&key=e67a680ced5569728fdb13c47004ae92396ad843a13c45b4bf187f22610d8f4e

Trump said last night they will re-evaluate things after the 15 day period. Newsflash for him: we’re halfway though that and still climbing the mountain. We can’t break these shutdown measures early. We can’t.

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That 'report' from the cdc says nothing about pre existing conditions in those people who were hospitalized. Only 9 of the 3200 people who had died in Italy as of a few days ago were under the age of 40. 

So are you saying anybody over 40 is elderly?  

Folks I'm not trying to come on here and be a Debbie Downer but based on how this virus spreads we're not really going to get a grasp of the situation in the US until like mid April.  The current situation is bad but this is just the start. 

In my opinion, which means nothing and trying not to sound political, we aren't taking the proper measures right now and the worst is yet to come.  This country is missing direction because the safety of people in this country is dependent on whatever state you reside.  This is unfortunately a sad truth to the reality of the situation.  In my region (suburb of Evansville) there are only 44 vents and 200 beds at the closest hospital.  We'll start to see just how much the US healthcare system will be stressed due to the nature of the system itself.

Also it is of my opinion this virus will be around for 12 to 18 months, but I truly hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow.  

Folks I'm not trying to come on here and be a Debbie Downer but based on how this virus spreads we're not really going to get a grasp of the situation in the US until like mid April.  The current situation is bad but this is just the start. 
In my opinion, which means nothing and trying not to sound political, we aren't taking the proper measures right now and the worst is yet to come.  This country is missing direction because the safety of people in this country is dependent on whatever state you reside.  This is unfortunately a sad truth to the reality of the situation.  In my region (suburb of Evansville) there are only 44 vents and 200 beds at the closest hospital.  We'll start to see just how much the US healthcare system will be stressed due to the nature of the system itself.

Also it is of my opinion this virus will be around for 12 to 18 months, but I truly hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow.  

In 12-18 months we should have a vaccine or something near it.

5 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Right, NYC and Evansville are different and should take different precautions.  At the moment, there is one recorded case in your area.  Take precautions, but the cure can't be worse than the disease.  

Personally, I am not trusting that they are being truthful with regard to how this thing spreads.  Maybe they don't really know.  But, I keep hearing officials say its spread mainly by droplets from coughs and sneezes that enter an unsuspecting persons mucus membranes.  Then it seems to me the coughers and sneezers can be isolated, as well as old people.  Hard surfaces, can and should be wiped down frequently.      

Right, NYC and Evansville are different and should take different precautions.  At the moment, there is one recorded case in your area.  Take precautions, but the cure can't be worse than the disease.  
Personally, I am not trusting that they are being truthful with regard to how this thing spreads.  Maybe they don't really know.  But, I keep hearing officials say its spread mainly by droplets from coughs and sneezes that enter an unsuspecting persons mucus membranes.  Then it seems to me the coughers and sneezers can be isolated, as well as old people.  Hard surfaces, can and should be wiped down frequently.      
Also what I've heard from medical professionals and they also say that the virus will only live on surfaces for a couple of hours. As for the surfaces although it is possible to get the virus onto your skin you then also have to then put it into your body through the eyes, mouth or nose. So basically don't be around infected people coughing or sneezing and practice safe/good hygiene and you'll in all likelihood be just fine. Some portray this that if you are inside a Walmart with one person infected then all people inside that Walmart at that time are doomed and will probably die. That's the problem with studies that are being thrown around without being peer reviewed, which is basically all of them that you are seeing, they give misleading or sometimes false information.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

The Evansville area has recorded cases (keep in mind we are a river town and place like Henderson and Owensboro, KY should also be considered) and since we don't have sufficient testing available the numbers are absolutely not to be trusted.  Like I said mid April is where we'll start to get a grasp of what's going on in our country.  

Testing is ramping up quickly and so will the case counts.  Much better handle on this by next Monday as this week's tests are processed.

From what i have seen of the lifespan of it.

Airborne: 30 minutes-3 hours
Stainless Steel: 2 days
Plastic: 3 days

Cardboard may have been 1 day.

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

From what i have seen of the lifespan of it.

Airborne: 30 minutes-3 hours
Stainless Steel: 2 days
Plastic: 3 days

Cardboard may have been 1 day.

Right.  that was a scientific lab study.  Doesn't deal with whether it's still infectious under those timeframes.  

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well in some good news Italy really does seem to be going the right direction with this. Another day with numbers going down. 

Looks like Italy started flattening on 5/20.  Went from a growth rate of 14.5%, to 14%, 10%, to 8%  Each day.  Progress.