Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

We've already heard from mamasa that he's been confirmed with the virus but is beginning to feel better although still quarantined in his own home.  Let me share another story of this damn virus and its impact.  I buried my 96-year old dementia stricken mother this morning; her death unrelated to the virus; her heart just decided to call its final timeout.  But regardless of the official cause of her death, dementia is every bit as cruel of a disease as are physical diseases such as cancer, etc. 
She was born and spent her entire life in a small town (1,000 people) in northern Indiana.  Worked in the local bank for 30 years; township advisory board 20 years; library board; active in her church; you name it and she was likely involved.  Those of you who grew up in similar small towns know how close knit they are.  Because of the virus, there are no visitations at funeral homes.  Immediate family only for a private service and then whisk the body off to the cemetery for burial.  I've not lived there for 50 years, and there was no opportunity to re-connect or hear stories about my mother from those who were involved with her in her many activities.  Economic losses are not the only damage this sh** is causing.

Many sympathies, condolences, and prayers OF. This thing has taken away some of the most basic human rights and elements. I’m sorry you all had to suffer through the dementia. My grandmother suffered with this and thus did her children by extension. I see many families who bear the oft times long, drawn out, and just seemingly unnecessary course of that disease process. It sounds like she had a life well-lived and well-loved. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Before the earlier Coronavirus thread was put into permanent quarantine, a trendline graph of the virus by country was posted several different times.  Anyone know what the source for that graph was as I'm curious as to what it looks like today?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch

Hes the source. Posting them on Twitter. You’ll notice we are outpacing ALL countries in infections. Our bigger size other than China meant we have the hospital beds to absorb better.  We are still going the wrong direction in mortality. 

He updates daily after Italy and France  release their numbers

9AD55B4C-125A-4291-AADC-44EC3F65B618.jpeg

0FEC40FE-A775-4718-9CB8-135919A3B3E6.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Before the earlier Coronavirus thread was put into permanent quarantine, a trendline graph of the virus by country was posted several different times.  Anyone know what the source for that graph was as I'm curious as to what it looks like today?

The World Economic Forum has been updating statistics and information and has the trend graph which now shows the US on a pretty scary trend line closer to Italy than South Korea. 

1EBE313B-95AA-40E2-AC53-8BA91C92ADBE.jpeg

The US numbers on the worldcount website are wired. I was looking at it near midnight (EST) and our number dropped to 2500 from 7600. Then the number for Sat now shows total new cases at 4800. I think they shifted 2500 from the Saturday count to the Sunday count.

At the pace we were growing we would have around 10k-10.5k today but we are already over 11.5k. However if you take away 2500 we are back on pace.

Not criticizing the counters it is just interesting

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

In some bittersweet news some hope that Italian lockdown is starting to have benefits.  Total infections and total deaths down from previous days. Still 5000+ and 600+ but might be going the right direction. Hopefully. 

Are you sure on this? I’m watching MSNBC right now and they said Italy’s numbers were the worst day for any country so far during the pandemic. Reportedly had 793 deaths on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Are you sure on this? I’m watching MSNBC right now and they said Italy’s numbers were the worst day for any country so far during the pandemic. Reportedly had 793 deaths on Saturday. 

Sunday’s numbers just got reported and are lower than Saturdays. 

26 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

The World Economic Forum has been updating statistics and information and has the trend graph which now shows the US on a pretty scary trend line closer to Italy than South Korea. 

1EBE313B-95AA-40E2-AC53-8BA91C92ADBE.jpeg

While those numbers are accurate, the take-away from them is much less obvious:

-> Our cases are rising dramatically because our testing is rising even more dramatically.

Our fatality rate has dropped from about 4% a few weeks ago to about 1.5% yesterday. That's also a product of increased testing ability for people who were not dire enough to be hospitalized. That US fatality rate should continue to drop significantly.

Almost all of the fatalities are with the very elderly and those with significant pre-existing conditions. People in those categories should be very strictly quarantined IMO. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sunday’s numbers just got reported and are lower than Saturdays. 

Ahhh, sorry BC, that’s my bad (and kind of MSNBC’s) - I forgot that Sunday is already over for them. I just read like you mentioned that deaths on Sunday in Italy were 651, which would be down from the 793 reported for Saturday. 

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

The US numbers on the worldcount website are wired. I was looking at it near midnight (EST) and our number dropped to 2500 from 7600. Then the number for Sat now shows total new cases at 4800. I think they shifted 2500 from the Saturday count to the Sunday count.

At the pace we were growing we would have around 10k-10.5k today but we are already over 11.5k. However if you take away 2500 we are back on pace.

Not criticizing the counters it is just interesting

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They pull some shenanigans to help Americans understand it. The official counts are based on GMT but people would be confused if the count reset at 6PM here so it continues. 

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While those numbers are accurate, the take-away from them is much less obvious:

-> Our cases are rising dramatically because our testing is rising even more dramatically.

Our fatality rate has dropped from about 4% a few weeks ago to about 1.5% yesterday. That's also a product of increased testing ability for people who were not dire enough to be hospitalized. That US fatality rate should continue to drop significantly.

Almost all of the fatalities are with the very elderly and those with significant pre-existing conditions. People in those categories should be very strictly quarantined IMO. 

Rate will go down unless the hospitals become overwhelmed. In New York they will. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Rate will go down unless the hospitals become overwhelmed. In New York they will. 

The national rate should continue to go down. Period. People in danger are being quarantined. Many more people will test positive now that tests are becoming readily accessible, but those who are more and more the ones who are testing positive are not likely to be those in danger.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The national rate should continue to go down. Period. People in danger are being quarantined. Many more people will test positive now that tests are becoming readily accessible, but those who are more and more the ones who are testing positive are not likely to be those in danger.

Testing on a large scale is really only getting done in New York. 

New York has over half the confirmed cases and 90% of new cases today were in New York. And they are shifting to not testing unless it will affect treatment which is going create a higher percentage of confirmed being serious. 

The true death rate of this isn’t going to be know for a long time until the crisis is over.  But right now in the US more people have died than recovered from it so it’s not going to be a good number. 

South Korea has one of the best healthcare systems in the world done tremendous amounts of testing and reacting quickly to slow it.  And their mortality rate is a 1.2% so that’s likely our best case scenario  

They pull some shenanigans to help Americans understand it. The official counts are based on GMT but people would be confused if the count reset at 6PM here so it continues. 

Yeah but does that explain why at around 11 EST on Sat our count was at 7800 ish and 15 minutes later it was at 2500? Or if you look at yesterday’s count instead of seeing something around 7800 it is around 4800?

Testing on a large scale is really only getting done in New York. 

New York has over half the confirmed cases and 90% of new cases today were in New York. And they are shifting to not testing unless it will affect treatment which is going create a higher percentage of confirmed being serious. 

The true death rate of this isn’t going to be know for a long time until the crisis is over.  But right now in the US more people have died than recovered from it so it’s not going to be a good number. 

South Korea has one of the best healthcare systems in the world done tremendous amounts of testing and reacting quickly to slow it.  And their mortality rate is a 1.2% so that’s likely our best case scenario  

It’s not just the healthcare system though. South Korea and Japan have a completely different outlook on doing what’s best for everyone.

Edit: the healthcare in those countries are also more focused on proactive (preventative) than reactive like the US.

8 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Yeah but does that explain why at around 11 EST on Sat our count was at 7800 ish and 15 minutes later it was at 2500? Or if you look at yesterday’s count instead of seeing something around 7800 it is around 4800?

From 6 PM on they keep adding the reported numbers. So you are getting essentially a 32 hour total. Until they wipe it. Then at 11 or midnight they wipe it and only have what’s been reported since 6PM as the new US total. But only the number as it was at 6pm is what’s recorded as the official number.