Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Saw where the has been a class action suit filed against China. I say attach their us treasuries of $1.1 trillion when this is over. Screw’m !

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This is what was going around if this covid bug was in Indy since January we would have seen an increase in ventilator needs back then. 

Not necessarily. It has mutated at least once since jumping from animal to human. Seasonal influenza does the same, hence the varying rates of the flu shot year to year and the occasional unlucky person who gets influenza twice in one season.

But, we’ll never know. We’re only left with theory and assumption for that time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

27 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Not necessarily. It has mutated at least once since jumping from animal to human. Seasonal influenza does the same, hence the varying rates of the flu shot year to year and the occasional unlucky person who gets influenza twice in one season.

But, we’ll never know. We’re only left with theory and assumption for that time frame.

You think it mutated into a lesser dangerous and less contagious strain during January. So as not to make everybody sick and not force people onto respirators?  

Because it was already dangerous as all hell in China so it didn’t need to mutate into what we are seeing now.  

So while it’s possible. Occams razor would say that it was the flu back in January.  

You think it mutated into a lesser dangerous and less contagious strain during January. So as not to make everybody sick and not force people onto respirators?    

Because it was already dangerous as all hell in China so it didn’t need to mutate into what we are seeing now.  

So while it’s possible. Occams razor would say that it was the flu back in January.  

Not at all. We just don’t have all the information, so I’m just looking at possibilities.

A) Don’t fall for the connotations of ‘mutated’. A virus wants to live and replicate. By whatever means work best. Couldn’t it mutate into a more easily transmittable strain with less aggressive attributes? Sure. Any variant of those combinations. Virus gonna virus.

B) Who’s to say the/a lesser strain didn’t get here first? Maybe a less severe and/or less transmittable strain? Because China sucks, we don’t have a true timeline on anything, nor do I trust anything they’ve put forth.

Even hindsight sucks because the general public will never have the full truth on this thing, and that makes most arguments of ‘right and wrong’ useless. There is only now and how we deal with it.

BTW, Here are Indiana‘a updated numbers as of this morning:

IMG_1518.thumb.jpg.89995a7865cd367ee69b5c55b5113e5e.jpg

We have 4 siblings working in various hospitals here in IN. They are being told to expect the surge to pick up this weekend (more admissions).

The challenges they face are obvious-lack of equipment and rooms dedicated to treat a large number of patients. But they have also had to change how they do their job. Instead of having multiple nurses and techs covering multiple rooms they now work with a dedicated set of patients. This limits effectiveness but they implemented this last week so they are getting better at this.

They are working incredibly long stressful hours right now. I am hopeful we find the waves of sick people be less than expected and manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We have 4 siblings working in various hospitals here in IN. They are being told to expect the surge to pick up this weekend (more admissions).

The challenges they face are obvious-lack of equipment and rooms dedicated to treat a large number of patients. But they have also had to change how they do their job. Instead of having multiple nurses and techs covering multiple rooms they now work with a dedicated set of patients. This limits effectiveness but they implemented this last week so they are getting better at this.

They are working incredibly long stressful hours right now. I am hopeful we find the waves of sick people be less than expected and manageable.

God bless the healthcare workers around the globe. I feel like they find themselves in a similar position to many service members right after 9/11. Stay safe and thank you for your service!

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

It is incredibly rewarding to be entrusted with an urgent purpose during extraordinary circumstances.

Our thanks to the current class of front line first responders!

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We've already heard from mamasa that he's been confirmed with the virus but is beginning to feel better although still quarantined in his own home.  Let me share another story of this damn virus and its impact.  I buried my 96-year old dementia stricken mother this morning; her death unrelated to the virus; her heart just decided to call its final timeout.  But regardless of the official cause of her death, dementia is every bit as cruel of a disease as are physical diseases such as cancer, etc. 

She was born and spent her entire life in a small town (1,000 people) in northern Indiana.  Worked in the local bank for 30 years; township advisory board 20 years; library board; active in her church; you name it and she was likely involved.  Those of you who grew up in similar small towns know how close knit they are.  Because of the virus, there are no visitations at funeral homes.  Immediate family only for a private service and then whisk the body off to the cemetery for burial.  I've not lived there for 50 years, and there was no opportunity to re-connect or hear stories about my mother from those who were involved with her in her many activities.  Economic losses are not the only damage this sh** is causing.

OF,

So sorry for your loss and the lack of appropriate closure. That aspect truly sucks.

Sounds like your mom had a very long life well-lived. Peace for her and your family.

We've already heard from mamasa that he's been confirmed with the virus but is beginning to feel better although still quarantined in his own home.  Let me share another story of this damn virus and its impact.  I buried my 96-year old dementia stricken mother this morning; her death unrelated to the virus; her heart just decided to call its final timeout.  But regardless of the official cause of her death, dementia is every bit as cruel of a disease as are physical diseases such as cancer, etc. 
She was born and spent her entire life in a small town (1,000 people) in northern Indiana.  Worked in the local bank for 30 years; township advisory board 20 years; library board; active in her church; you name it and she was likely involved.  Those of you who grew up in similar small towns know how close knit they are.  Because of the virus, there are no visitations at funeral homes.  Immediate family only for a private service and then whisk the body off to the cemetery for burial.  I've not lived there for 50 years, and there was no opportunity to re-connect or hear stories about my mother from those who were involved with her in her many activities.  Economic losses are not the only damage this sh** is causing.

That is such a great example of the costs of this thing. Watched a story today about Italy and then going through similar struggles but your story paints a picture most of us know well. Sorry to hear of your loss and the lost opportunity to celebrate her life with those in the town.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sorry for your loss! 

Sorry OF. Thanks for sharing about her, and these weird, unfortunate circumstances at the end. Dementia. It’s rough. 

Tonight I had my parents over for a bonfire happy hour. We kept our appropriate 6’ social distance, cracked beers and jokes and enjoyed the time. Just never hugged my mom or shook my dad’s hand. Everything is different. 

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Sorry OF. Thanks for sharing about her, and these weird, unfortunate circumstances at the end. Dementia. It’s rough. 

Tonight I had my parents over for a bonfire happy hour. We kept our appropriate 6’ social distance, cracked beers and jokes and enjoyed the time. Just never hugged my mom or shook my dad’s hand. Everything is different. 

Yeah.  I have been quarantined from the Mrs.   :)   

China reporting no new cases in 2 days........impossible
China sending millions of PPEs to OTHER countries........not surprising

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Shows 46 new cases for China today. If true that is still pretty good but not sure I believe them. Hopefully it is.

I think S Korea is one to watch. They are flattening out

Shows 46 new cases for China today. If true that is still pretty good but not sure I believe them. Hopefully it is.

I think S Korea is one to watch. They are flattening out

South Korea and Japan are doing it right.

Here’s one example.