Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Whether or not sports resume in the fall, I don’t see 100,000+ people packing into football stadiums (sans a 100% effective vaccine by then). 

It’ll also be interesting to see the sustainability of the movie theater industry when this is all said and done. Some films have been released earlier for streaming in response to everyone being home. There should be some solid market data on if just releasing new movies at a premium is the way to go, which had already been a growing trend anyway. 

Also, I’d be hard pressed to think many new sit-down restaurants will be opening once the dust settles for a while. With so much uncertainty in that industry already, this is showing just how precarious the restaurant business can be.

Lastly, and not to interject too much politics here, but the impact on the 2020 election from a timing perspective will be interesting to follow. 

This is more a general statement..

Why can’t there be humor in serious matters? It’s how some of us cope with stuff.

As for the virus, I hope that we, as a society, can maintain order when this really starts affecting us and those around us. I have my doubts but I’m holding out hope.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Apparently the previous thread titled Coronavirus and the NCAA Tournament has come down with the virus and is in permanent quarantine along with the originator of that thread.  There was some worthwhile conversation being posted along with some less than worthwhile but given the present day situation, I think there is value to maintaining open discussion about the virus.   And just because I've posted some humor in the virus topics don't think for a moment that I'm not taking it seriously because I am.  So to kickstart this new thread.

image.png.db7a6eb3ee25df318d8dbbd4eaf5ff50.png

Thanks for this thread. It is important to share and discuss, rationally, this issue and its implications. I recently began reading "Deadliest Enemy" by Michael Osterholm. It is an excellent discussion of the world of microbial and viral infections and pandemics. He also recently appeared on Joe Rogan's podcast discussing the current COVID-19 outbreak. There is no such thing as too much accurate, reliable information about anything that impacts human life.

Yesterday was an unfortunate day over 1000 people died and worldwide total hit 10,000 reported deaths. Most likely higher. 

Italy, Spain, France and Netherlands health systems are overwhelmed. Germany,Switzerland and UK not far behind.  

US curve is accelerating. NYC will run out of hospital beds by the end of the month and ventilators much sooner. 

This outbreak is not unprecedented. The 1918 Spanish flu pandemic killed 40 to 50 million people worldwide and it hit young adults, 18 to 25 ish, the hardest. A viral pandemic that we can't get in front of has always been the greatest threat to humanity.

If people are anxious, scared or just uncertain about all of this I suggest listening to Sirius XM radio channel 110. You will be calmed, informed and skeptical of all other reports/media after listening to these medical professionals.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Millions of people's lives are going to be ruined by the economic devastation. At a certain point we have to go back to work. We can't keep the country shut down for months and months. 
Thankfully working for Wal-Mart I am able to go to work everyday. Even though we are struggling to keep up with all of the over buying

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I certainly applaud those businesses that are attempting to continue compensating their employees to the extent they can but there's a limit on how long that can be maintained.  As 2017 said above, economic devastation is going to ruin a lot of lives.

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Whether or not sports resume in the fall, I don’t see 100,000+ people packing into football stadiums (sans a 100% effective vaccine by then). 

It’ll also be interesting to see the sustainability of the movie theater industry when this is all said and done. Some films have been released earlier for streaming in response to everyone being home. There should be some solid market data on if just releasing new movies at a premium is the way to go, which had already been a growing trend anyway. 

Also, I’d be hard pressed to think many new sit-down restaurants will be opening once the dust settles for a while. With so much uncertainty in that industry already, this is showing just how precarious the restaurant business can be.

Lastly, and not to interject too much politics here, but the impact on the 2020 election from a timing perspective will be interesting to follow. 

1)  Like any other virus, this one has a life span.   The effect on massive sporting events is unknown, but the treatments for this are far more rapidly advancing than a vaccine, and with a treatment, it'll be the same as the flu.  If you're sick, stay home.  If you get it, treat it like the flu at home unless symptoms magnify.   Right now, there is neither a treatment nor a vaccine, so we have to treat it....like we're treating it.  That will change.  An interesting case study might be the Indianapolis 500.   Large outdoor event and the first after this 6-8 week period in which we're all being uber-careful.   I think those events will come back, simply because a corona virus is a known in the medical community, and it'll be treated like the others.   This one is contagious as hell, but not very strong.

2)  To be very honest, I'm more worried about the media's coverage of it.  The "mainstream" press is treating President Trump with as much unfair criticism and vitriol, it's outright vile.  (Today's press hearing was seriously offensive)  I am not a big fan of Trump the man (although he's not been a bad president in my opinion), and I don't think he's a good orator.  I would far rather watch what he does than listen to him.  But if anyone thinks Hilary Clinton, Barack Obama, George Bush, John F. Kennedy, or anyone else would have done "better," I'd like to know how that'd be defined because the leader of the WHO botched this from the beginning, China lied about it and covered it up for 3 weeks.  The CDC had misinformation about this thing.  The president listens to those people and anyone with the benefit of hindsight and elimination of the human factor can always take the easy road.  This is showing why, first of all, not very many people want the job; and secondly why the media in this country is as doubted and mis-trusted as it is.

You're right....the time "post breakout" will be very interesting, however I'd simply say this in reality is no different than any other viral breakout.  The reaction to it will be more out of fear than science.  The internet, social media, etc have been far more harmful than helpful.

1)  Like any other virus, this one has a life span.   The effect on massive sporting events is unknown, but the treatments for this are far more rapidly advancing than a vaccine, and with a treatment, it'll be the same as the flu.  If you're sick, stay home.  If you get it, treat it like the flu at home unless symptoms magnify.   Right now, there is neither a treatment nor a vaccine, so we have to treat it....like we're treating it.  That will change.  An interesting case study might be the Indianapolis 500.   Large outdoor event and the first after this 6-8 week period in which we're all being uber-careful.   I think those events will come back, simply because a corona virus is a known in the medical community, and it'll be treated like the others.   This one is contagious as hell, but not very strong.
2)  To be very honest, I'm more worried about the media's coverage of it.  The "mainstream" press is treating President Trump with as much unfair criticism and vitriol, it's outright vile.  (Today's press hearing was seriously offensive)  I am not a big fan of Trump the man (although he's not been a bad president in my opinion), and I don't think he's a good orator.  I would far rather watch what he does than listen to him.  But if anyone thinks Hilary Clinton, Barack Obama, George Bush, John F. Kennedy, or anyone else would have done "better," I'd like to know how that'd be defined because the leader of the WHO botched this from the beginning, China lied about it and covered it up for 3 weeks.  The CDC had misinformation about this thing.  The president listens to those people and anyone with the benefit of hindsight and elimination of the human factor can always take the easy road.  This is showing why, first of all, not very many people want the job; and secondly why the media in this country is as doubted and mis-trusted as it is.
You're right....the time "post breakout" will be very interesting, however I'd simply say this in reality is no different than any other viral breakout.  The reaction to it will be more out of fear than science.  The internet, social media, etc have been far more harmful than helpful.
I don't agree with you a lot of times but on this matter I agree with essentially everything you said.

I don't agree with you a lot of times but on this matter I agree with essentially everything you said.

I mean people want to say that this should have been taken care of in early January, but as of mid January, WHO was told by the Chinese government that the virus wasn’t contagious. All of this is because of the lying and incompetence of the Chinese government because they really don’t care about anyone. They were reporting 3000 cases when it was probably close to 100,000. Even now we have no idea who has it or has had it and didn’t even know. But I don’t the first case was in February. It was likely well before then.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I mean people want to say that this should have been taken care of in early January, but as of mid January, WHO was told by the Chinese government that the virus wasn’t contagious. All of this is because of the lying and incompetence of the Chinese government because they really don’t care about anyone. They were reporting 3000 cases when it was probably close to 100,000. Even now we have no idea who has it or has had it and didn’t even know. But I don’t the first case was in February. It was likely well before then.

The first journalist that reported it in China died from it. There are other missing journalists that reported on it early. Odd

When this is over we need to ***** slap china real good.  

The FDA is killing us.  They are waiting for "the science" regarding treatment.  There is enough evidence to try the malaria drugs.  Get it done, NOW.  

The economic devastation will be worse than the virus.  We are fkd.  

Regardless of the cover up the countries that responded when the information did become available are handling this much better. 

South Korea, Taiwan and Japan for example. 

Haven’t heard much from North Korea either... but there is probably a good reason for that...

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

When this is over we need to ***** slap china real good.  

The FDA is killing us.  They are waiting for "the science" regarding treatment.  There is enough evidence to try the malaria drugs.  Get it done, NOW.  

The economic devastation will be worse than the virus.  We are fkd.  

100% of doctors “Clinical Trials are important in developing vaccines”

Yet people on the internet still think they know better