Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MoyeNeeded

A Transfer Coming?

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Al had to play those minutes because of the limited amount of guard talent that has been recruited. Think about where they were ranked as recruits. Green was #197(3*), Al was #230(3*), Rob #135(4*), Franklin #151(3*). What are we bringing in? Lander who is #11(5*) in his class. Leal at #99, Geronimo #129 and Galloway #133. I won’t be surprised at all if our two best guards are freshmen. Al has peaked as to the type of player he is. And there are plenty like him. It’s not hard to find a SG who isn’t a good playmaker, isn’t a good rebounder, is a decent shooter, isn’t a scorer and isn’t a leader. He’s just an average player. Plenty of those around. He’s not a guy that puts us at the next level and him leading wouldn’t hurt us. And the same can be said for Phinisee.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

When you say a player has peaked at the age  of 20-22 years old, it sort of discounts your argument. If we have 4 or five guards better than Al, then I would say Archie is taking this program in the right direction. 

When you say a player has peaked at the age  of 20-22 years old, it sort of discounts your argument. If we have 4 or five guards better than Al, then I would say Archie is taking this program in the right direction. 

Al peaked as a Sophomore. It was clear what kind of player he was. A backup. He’s just not good enough to be in the role Archie tried forcing. He should be waiting to shoot 3’s, not a ball handler, playmaker or featured scorer. Because he’s not good at it.

So a freshman Leal, Geronimo, and Galloway are going to take up so many minutes from the guard who led the team in minutes played..?

IF Lander plays in 2020, he’ll take Green’s minutes. A freshman Franklin and sophomore Phin didn’t play more than Al even though they were ranked higher. Leal is going to magically take the majority of Al’s minutes? Based on..?

If Al continues, even though he peaked as a sophomore (?!), to improve his shooting he’ll easily be towards the top in mpg for guards. I know that eats you up but that’s what the track record shows.

If Leal comes in and shoots lights out I’d be happy to be wrong but how often does that happen? Best, realistic scenario is Leal comes and plays Franklin minutes. He knocks down some shots and gets a feel for life in the Big Ten. He improves after his freshman year and we get a better version of Al with a sophomore Leal.

Well Lander will be starting and probably playing 30 minutes. So he’s taking Greens minutes plus 7. We now have Lander, Phinisee, Al, Leal and Franklin to eat up the 80 minutes played at the 1-2 spot and that’s before we land a transfer. So someone is going to be losing minutes or getting passed up. And Durham isn’t good enough to be put on a level of impassable. We could end up seeing a duo of Lander and Phinisee.

10 hours ago, IU-DL said:

That's an opinion by another user, not ignorance. Durham has hit his ceiling and it's not terribly high. Does that make those of us who feel that way ignorant as well? People are entitled to pass along opinions on this site. Be nice - it goes a long way.

He's improved each and every season but you're sure he's hit his ceiling.

Well OK then.You missed your calling as a fortune teller.

He's improved each and every season but you're sure he has hit his ceiling.
 Well OK then.You missed your calling as a fortune teller.

That doesn’t mean he hasn’t hit his ceiling. He hasn’t changed at all from sophomore to junior year. He’s still just an average, playmaker, still not a trustworthy ball handler, he’s our best shooter(which isn’t saying much) but he only averaged three 3’s a game last season, he’s an average defender. Like I said, he’s a poor mans Robert Johnson and shouldn’t be starting in the Big Ten if we are wanting to compete for a Big Ten title next season. But we have two freshmen coming in that can make an impact and can pass our senior and junior guards. Along with the improvement of Franklin which I expect to be good.

If Justin does not come back then Al and Leal could get some time at the 3. Anyone hear anything on Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’d be completely okay with Smith, Durham and Anderson leaving. IF we got a great transfer out of it. We need a backup big man that’s athletic. As much as Brunk hustles, he still isn’t athletic enough to keep up and be in games against certain matchups. It’s not that I want them to transfer, I just wouldn’t be sad. Because all 3 can be replaced.

Well we are replacing Green and Anderson with Lander(who is better than both and all of our guards), Leal and possibly a transfer. Durham played that much, because we sadly didn’t have a better option.

Wait a sec, Anderson is transferring? I hadn’t seen anything. IF we are taking a transfer, I personally would want it to be either a pure shooter or a big. Brunk needs to be a 12-15 minute role player off of the bench and nothing more.
I think we’re just ok right now with the roster being what it is. Now IF 1 or 2 decided to transfer and we upgrade shooting and/or a big then, for me that is just a bonus.

36 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That doesn’t mean he hasn’t hit his ceiling. He hasn’t changed at all from sophomore to junior year. He’s still just an average, playmaker, still not a trustworthy ball handler, he’s our best shooter(which isn’t saying much) but he only averaged three 3’s a game last season, he’s an average defender. Like I said, he’s a poor mans Robert Johnson and shouldn’t be starting in the Big Ten if we are wanting to compete for a Big Ten title next season. But we have two freshmen coming in that can make an impact and can pass our senior and junior guards. Along with the improvement of Franklin which I expect to be good.

My response was to a statement in the absolute.He HAS reached his ceiling.

That's an unknown and a silly thing to say.You guys obviously don't see value in him but have no way of knowing if he improves or not. I'll be surprised if he doesn't with the addition of Lander. Al needs to be off ball as he isn't a great ball handler and will benefit from not having the lead guard responsibility.He is currently the best shooter on the team.

That's an unknown and a silly thing to say.You guys obviously don't see value in him but have no way of knowing if he improves or not. I'll be surprised if he doesn't with the addition of Lander. Al needs to be off ball as he isn't a great ball handler and will benefit from not having the lead guard responsibility.He is currently the best shooter on the team.

I think Chicken is the only one who does not see much of a role for him next year.

How do you know what impact they can make that Al can’t? Was Al involved with a high school pickup league I am not aware of? Also, what is exactly Al’s ceiling and how did you of all people come to that conclusion? I have seen you say these things many times and not offer anything to back them up. Please point me to that data. Would love to read that.

Indiana has reached out to Landers Nolley of Virginia Tech. So has 60 other schools.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Lilburn and Fairburn is only 30-40 miles apart. Wonder is Al and Nolley were buddy’s prior to college? If so, one would think that it’s possible that they have stayed in touch these last few years.

If Crean were his coach, he’d have a higher peak. Not because Crean is a better coach, but he’d be able to shoot more 3’s. As of right now he’s never hit more than 40 in a season and he hit 40 as a sophomore. He just doesn’t shoot enough. He drives too often, doesn’t work off ball enough and a lot of it is on Archie as his offense doesn’t put a guy like Durham in a place to succeed. It’s not that his talent would change any under Crean, he’s a backup no matter who is coaching him, he’d just find different spots in a more up tempo, 3 point shooting offense. He’s a good 3point shooter but he’s average at best everywhere else. And he’s peaked. He is what he is and he’s going to have way more competition for that 2 spot than he’s ever seen before.

I’d be completely okay with Smith, Durham and Anderson leaving. IF we got a great transfer out of it. We need a backup big man that’s athletic. As much as Brunk hustles, he still isn’t athletic enough to keep up and be in games against certain matchups. It’s not that I want them to transfer, I just wouldn’t be sad. Because all 3 can be replaced.

I’m with you on all of this except Brunk. We need a big that Brunk can be the backup for. Or play Trayce and Race