Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MoyeNeeded

A Transfer Coming?

31 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

With this situation causing teams to have to scatter and likely keeping kids off campus until the fall I wonder if that will be an advantage to a team that returns 9 guys and all coaches. And likely all 5 starters. 

Heck yes it is.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Exactly why I don’t think Smith nor Durham will leave, next year is the year they finally get it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

After seeing what Landon Turner did in season in '81, I always have hope that kids can figure it out and be who we always thought they could be.

I know things are fluid but with Mineland committing to Lville are we still interested/tracking any other grad transfers? Thought for sure Damezi would transfer and we would fill the spot with a grad transfer and likely someone who can shoot the rock. Do I think our shooting will be better next year, yes. But it still won't be a strength imo. 

I know things are fluid but with Mineland committing to Lville are we still interested/tracking any other grad transfers? Thought for sure Damezi would transfer and we would fill the spot with a grad transfer and likely someone who can shoot the rock. Do I think our shooting will be better next year, yes. But it still won't be a strength imo. 

Not unless someone transfers which doesn’t appear to be happening.

10 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I think the reason Damezi isn't transferring is because nobody really wants him. I'm being honest, I'm not sure he would've even started for the Evansville Aces this last year. I was off on him too. I thought he would be a decent role player. 

Interesting thing about Damezi Anderson. Both Juwan Morgan and D'Ron Davis predicted Anderson would be IU's "breakout" player during the 2019-2020 season. Even Archie Miller suggested Anderson would be more of a contributor going into last season. Obviously, there was no "breakout" for Anderson last season. But Morgan's and Davis' prediction suggests there is untapped talent and a work ethic there. If there isn't reasonable interest in Anderson as a transfer he might as well stay at IU. Maybe the predictions of Anderson contributing were premature rather than simply off base?

10 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think the reason Damezi isn't transferring is because nobody really wants him. I'm being honest, I'm not sure he would've even started for the Evansville Aces this last year. I was off on him too. I thought he would be a decent role player. 

Well that’s not really fair.  Kid was playing pretty good in November. He could easily have started for some of those teams.  

I really think word on transfers and the fact that we haven’t announced anybody incoming has a lot to do with the May 21 meeting of the Division I Council when they will be voting to change the transfer rule. Archie and crew are smart to wait for that vote if they may only have room for one transfer, because all of the sudden there could be a free agency market to go choose from. If you’ve already grabbed several players from the small group available now, you might hamstring yourself from grabbing an elite transfer who will be immediately eligible based on the vote. Same may go for DA’s decision. He may be waiting to see if he has the option of being eligible right away because if he has to sit out a year it’s not worth it to him. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I"m still wondering why Justin Smith hasn't declared for the NBA draft.  Not that he's draft material but there's no penalty to declare unless you sign with a non-certified agent and I would have thought his daddy would have been pushing him in this direction.

Listened to a podcast last night. I guess they aren’t getting the same evaluations this year.  All they are getting this year is a yes or no on whether they will get drafted. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well that’s not really fair.  Kid was playing pretty good in November. He could easily have started for some of those teams.  

Plus, you also can’t officially gauge interest until you’re in the portal. Not sure how “no one wants him” if he’s not to be had. 

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Plus, you also can’t officially gauge interest until you’re in the portal. Not sure how “no one wants him” if he’s not to be had. 

Damezi went 15-33 against non Big Ten competition. 

So no he wasn’t ready to play in the hardest toughest deepest league ever.  But he’s certainly a capable player.  

Damezi could still be a solid role player as a junior and senior. It’s possible that he decided to stick around and compete for playing time or he didn’t want to try transferring in the midst of this coronavirus chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Damezi showed promise early in the season and could be a good contributor to a wining team as a junior and senior. I thought we wanted to encourage players to stick around for four years and become solid Juniors and Seniors? I realize we have had some success with transfers, but if you look at the bigger picture, it is more misses than hits when it comes to transfers contributing to programs.

Damezi showed promise early in the season and could be a good contributor to a wining team as a junior and senior. I thought we wanted to encourage players to stick around for four years and become solid Juniors and Seniors? I realize we have had some success with transfers, but if you look at the bigger picture, it is more misses than hits when it comes to transfers contributing to programs.
He might be a year from graduating and wants the degree from IU so will stick it out for another year then leave with a free degree.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

How would he know that before becoming available? I'm not naive and understand feelers can "unofficially" be put out there, but it's not like he can openly gauge interest prior to entering the portal, right? 

I also would argue that he'd still garner attention. Not a ton of high-level, power 5 teams probably, but a guy with decent size that has a reputation as being a shooter would land someplace. Lots of people willing to offer that second chance. 

16 minutes ago, maharkn said:

He might be a year from graduating and wants the degree from IU so will stick it out for another year then leave with a free degree.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly, he might realize a degree from IU is better than a degree from Toledo (or wherever) and want to stick it out.

I hope he does, and becomes a solid contributor for us his last 2 seasons.  As long as he's not a cancer in the locker room, which I've never heard to be the case, I hope he stays and improves.

How would he know that before becoming available? I'm not naive and understand feelers can "unofficially" be put out there, but it's not like he can openly gauge interest prior to entering the portal, right? 
I also would argue that he'd still garner attention. Not a ton of high-level, power 5 teams probably, but a guy with decent size that has a reputation as being a shooter would land someplace. Lots of people willing to offer that second chance. 

There are ways of finding out. In fact I’ve heard it stated before you should never put your name in the portal unless you know 100% that there is a school that will take you.