Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southsidehoosier

Scott Dolson New AD

A reason to hire from within is continuity. It usually says that you are happy with the way things have been going. It's definitely not a shake things up move. That being said, he will succeed or fail based on the decisions he makes just like CAM's record will determine his future. I'm ambivalent on both at this point and waiting to see how it plays out.

A reason to hire from within is continuity. It usually says that you are happy with the way things have been going. It's definitely not a shake things up move. That being said, he will succeed or fail based on the decisions he makes just like CAM's record will determine his future. I'm ambivalent on both at this point and waiting to see how it plays out.

Continuity is the problem. We needed someone to come in and put basketball as the highest priority. The motto shouldn’t be something about “24 sports” it should be “basketball and 23 others.” This is just making sure they have someone who will do as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Continuity is the problem. We needed someone to come in and put basketball as the highest priority. The motto shouldn’t be something about “24 sports” it should be “basketball and 23 others.” This is just making sure they have someone who will do as they say.

I'm not saying it was a good or bad hire, I'm just saying that it was exactly what I expected. If the current administration was happy with Glass, and I have no reason to believe it wasn't, then why would anyone expect a new direction. What basketball fans might want isn't even on the radar. We aren't driving the bus.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Your bottom sentence says it all in a nutshell. IU hires coaches and now directors with no track record of success at the level they are hiring.

Generally it’s all underwhelming and anticipated.

For Indiana, the university, it’s probably a smart and safe hire. For Indiana becoming a powerhouse athletic university, time will tell.

Granted:

Football coming off a great season but a tough offseason. We will see. I like Allen a lot as a man. Rooting for him until the end.

Soccer- in a great place.

Baseball- in a good or great place.

IUBB- slight progress being made. If Archie turns the corner, Dolsen’s job will be easy. If not, he’ll have to earn his stripes in a big way.

‘Promote from within‘ is a very common best practice. Dolson’s record of success is the selection committee’s view of the contributions he made to Glass’s successes.

Doesn’t mean they’re promoting the right guy; there are advantages and disadvantages to this.

Ps; football is in about as good a place as it’s been in a generation. Same with women’s basketball, which is turning into a bit of a revenue sport.

Your bottom sentence says it all in a nutshell. IU hires coaches and now directors with no track record of success at the level they are hiring.

Generally it’s all underwhelming and anticipated.

For Indiana, the university, it’s probably a smart and safe hire. For Indiana becoming a powerhouse athletic university, time will tell.

Granted:

Football coming off a great season but a tough offseason. We will see. I like Allen a lot as a man. Rooting for him until the end.

Soccer- in a great place.

Baseball- in a good or great place.

IUBB- slight progress being made. If Archie turns the corner, Dolsen’s job will be easy. If not, he’ll have to earn his stripes in a big way.

IUWBB making great strides

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That is from your perspective and I tend to agree with you. It is not theirs.

IUWBB making great strides

Agree. Meant to include them. I’ve really enjoyed IUWBB the past couple years and men’s soccer is really fun.

That was the point I was trying to make. If Archie turns the corner, Dolsons job is easy for several years. A lot of programs in a good place.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I'm like everyone else with time on his hands, and lots of opinion, but I'll offer these simple points :

1)  Scott was the easy hire.  I'd personally have rather had Chris Reynolds, but Scott is a former basketball manager and he has relationships with dozens of former players.  They will have his ear.   I wish IU would have hired Chris, and I think it's a mistake they didn't; but that doesn't mean Scott's a mistake, and I happen to know him.  Good guy and a Hoosier through and through

2)  By most measures that really matter, Scott is set up for success.  The direction of IU's two most visible entities is positive.  Basketball is on a good trajectory, and to deny that is driven by something different than facts.  Is it on a steep curve upward?  No.  But an unhealthy program does not attract three 5-star players in 3 years.  Football is what it is, and I think solid if not spectacular.   Indiana is doing okay and better than it was 3-4 years ago.

3)  Baseball under Glass became big time.   IU has hosted the Big Ten tournament and the program is becoming one of the top in the midwest.  Glass gets credit for that and the corresponding facilities.  Scott will be an advocate of this continuing.   Women's basketball is similar.   On a great trajectory

IU remains one of the top sports properties in the country.  Its athletic program operates in the black.  Its top programs are on a positive trajectory.  I don't really think Glass botched a hire, unless you think IU Basketball should have won bigger than it has...Archie's improved every year, and still has a bunch of big wins.  Has a solid recruiting class coming, and depending on what Lander does, a solid start to 2021.    I like Scott personally.   I think he'll be fine.  But I wish Indiana had hired Chris.  Scott's a good, safe consolation prize.

I agree with all these points. This may not be a sexy hire for some, but it's certainly not a "BAD" hire. We got an IU guy who knows exactly what Indiana Basketball is. 

Agree. Meant to include them. I’ve really enjoyed IUWBB the past couple years and men’s soccer is really fun.

That was the point I was trying to make. If Archie turns the corner, Dolsons job is easy for several years. A lot of programs in a good place.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
I figured you did. Just making sure.

14 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I'm like everyone else with time on his hands, and lots of opinion, but I'll offer these simple points :

1)  Scott was the easy hire.  I'd personally have rather had Chris Reynolds, but Scott is a former basketball manager and he has relationships with dozens of former players.  They will have his ear.   I wish IU would have hired Chris, and I think it's a mistake they didn't; but that doesn't mean Scott's a mistake, and I happen to know him.  Good guy and a Hoosier through and through

2)  By most measures that really matter, Scott is set up for success.  The direction of IU's two most visible entities is positive.  Basketball is on a good trajectory, and to deny that is driven by something different than facts.  Is it on a steep curve upward?  No.  But an unhealthy program does not attract three 5-star players in 3 years.  Football is what it is, and I think solid if not spectacular.   Indiana is doing okay and better than it was 3-4 years ago.

3)  Baseball under Glass became big time.   IU has hosted the Big Ten tournament and the program is becoming one of the top in the midwest.  Glass gets credit for that and the corresponding facilities.  Scott will be an advocate of this continuing.   Women's basketball is similar.   On a great trajectory

IU remains one of the top sports properties in the country.  Its athletic program operates in the black.  Its top programs are on a positive trajectory.  I don't really think Glass botched a hire, unless you think IU Basketball should have won bigger than it has...Archie's improved every year, and still has a bunch of big wins.  Has a solid recruiting class coming, and depending on what Lander does, a solid start to 2021.    I like Scott personally.   I think he'll be fine.  But I wish Indiana had hired Chris.  Scott's a good, safe consolation prize.

FG was perfect for IU in many ways given the timing of BTN $$ etc. He did a magnificent job of creating facilities that are among the very best. Many sports are thriving both in performance as well as attendance. IU's student athletes achieve in the classroom and get degrees. FG is exceptionally well connected and raised a lot of much needed money and created public/private partnerships that will serve IU for years to come.

Football is on a good trajectory.

Men's Basketball has not done well and that is an issue.  A big issue. To be fair, FG tried to get Crean out a year earlier but was thwarted. AM...who did get the NCAA tourney monkey off of his back this year would have been entering his fifth season so either he would have improved or likely been gone. We will never know.

I suspect that this has all crossed Scott's mind. We shall see if he can get the 9,000 gorilla off of his back because it came with the job.

This is a re-dedication to mediocrity that will mean another lost decade for IU basketball. Of course, I can't blame Dolson for that. I can only blame the administration that hired him. The kneecapping of IU basketball by its own administration will continue unabated. 

The reason given for his hiring? We need continuity during the pandemic. Reasonable approach in the short term but unconscionable in the long term given the quality of available candidates.

Why didn’t they hire Chris?

29 minutes ago, CS2 said:

FG was perfect for IU in many ways given the timing of BTN $$ etc. He did a magnificent job of creating facilities that are among the very best. Many sports are thriving both in performance as well as attendance. IU's student athletes achieve in the classroom and get degrees. FG is exceptionally well connected and raised a lot of much needed money and created public/private partnerships that will serve IU for years to come.

Football is on a good trajectory.

Men's Basketball has not done well and that is an issue.  A big issue. To be fair, FG tried to get Crean out a year earlier but was thwarted. AM...who did get the NCAA tourney monkey off of his back this year would have been entering his fifth season so either he would have improved or likely been gone. We will never know.

I suspect that this has all crossed Scott's mind. We shall see if he can get the 9,000 gorilla off of his back because it came with the job.

I'll say this again and keep saying it.  Men's basketball is only "not doing well" if you look solely at results as they pertain to your own expectations and goals which were unreasonable for the last 3 teams to achieve.   Archie's team year one was riddled with injury to the point where Zach McRoberts was 5th in total minutes played.  The front court lost DDavis and Hartman, and there was no depth.   Last season improved a bit, but you saw as well as I did the chaos created by Langford's being here.  You also saw the injury problems; and reliance on youth.  That matters.

This season's team was better, but the most consistent problems on it were still the guys Crean recruited.   Archie's guys are sophomores.   Indiana made the tournament and had a legit shot to win a game or two.  I don't like the finishing position in the Big Ten, but you saw how Indiana was playing late.  They were better than that.    And we won 20 games.  That used to be a benchmark.  It's not at all a finished product, but a long term solution isn't possible without a beginning phase.

You said "to be fair," and I think it's wise to do that, but not selectively.   Indiana was 26th this season in KenPom defensive efficiency.  That's better than we've been since 2007 or something like that.  Indiana has recruited three 5-star kids in 3 seasons.  I think we're in a much better position moving forward than you do, and I'm not sure what 9,000 pound gorilla you're referring to, but I'll use a popular question : how do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.

49 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is a re-dedication to mediocrity that will mean another lost decade for IU basketball. Of course, I can't blame Dolson for that. I can only blame the administration that hired him. The kneecapping of IU basketball by its own administration will continue unabated. 

The reason given for his hiring? We need continuity during the pandemic. Reasonable approach in the short term but unconscionable in the long term given the quality of available candidates.

Have you read Dolson's comments and those of the hiring committee chair?  You really should before you post this stuff

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Very busy this week but thought I would say this. From the people I have talked to the committee was split between Chris & Scott so the decision went to McRobbie. McRobbie knows Scott is not going to change much, and Chris wanted to have sole power over basketball. Scott has said many times to me that Archie is going to be great so I see him sticking with him for a couple of seasons if he is a man of his word. Otherwise, his close friendship with Alford scares me. I don't think it was a bad hire but could have been better. Peace out, stay safe

Just confirms this was a yikes hire. Thanks for the info 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Very busy this week but thought I would say this. From the people I have talked to the committee was split between Chris & Scott so the decision went to McRobbie. McRobbie knows Scott is not going to change much, and Chris wanted to have sole power over basketball. Scott has said many times to me that Archie is going to be great so I see him sticking with him for a couple of seasons if he is a man of his word. Otherwise, his close friendship with Alford scares me. I don't think it was a bad hire but could have been better. Peace out, stay safe

Yay for status quo, because that's worked so well the last couple decades.