Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early BIG Projections (2020-21)

5 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Late to the news, but figured I would add it to this thread. 

Marcus Carr enters draft will not hire agent at this time. 

Isaiah Livers enters draft will not hire agent at this time.

If Livers stays in the draft Michigan is gonna take a step back next year. And yes, I know they have a great glass coming in. But losing those three guys who played a big part on the team this year will have an impact with fewer veterans with experience in Coach Howard’s system to get those frosh integrated and rolling. 

1 minute ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

If Livers stays in the draft Michigan is gonna take a step back next year. And yes, I know they have a great glass coming in. But losing those three guys who played a big part on the team this year will have an impact with fewer veterans with experience in Coach Howard’s system to get those frosh integrated and rolling. 

I agree. They went 19-12 and finished 8th this year with those three guys, who were undeniably their best three players. I have a hard time believing that freshman class with what they have coming back will be better. Especially with how the rest of the BIG stacks up

There is no reason for him to do so. TJD knows what he has to work on. If he has any doubt his father can tell him. Besides, getting before NBA scouts may highlight his weaknesses rather than strengths. He should wait until he is actually ready to go pro. OG Anunoby did not enter the draft for feedback after his freshman year even though some projected him as a 1st round draft pick.

I so disagree! And I am all in on TJD staying at IU, both selfishly and from a look at his professional development.
When a young person gets a chance to receive independent mentoring from the absolute best in the world at their chosen field, it is not something to be turned down! If Trayce and his dad were doctors, musicians, or any other profession, we wouldn't think twice about the value of him getting feedback from the pinnacle of his future profession. This is largely the same in my opinion.

Basketball is completely different. You can just google yourself at this point and figure it out. If if you’re not even on the radar as a first round pick, no reason to go. You just need to be better. If you’re not a lottery pick, no reason to leave school early. If you’re leaving just because of the money, you won’t make it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Basketball is completely different. You can just google yourself at this point and figure it out. If if you’re not even on the radar as a first round pick, no reason to go. You just need to be better. If you’re not a lottery pick, no reason to leave school early. If you’re leaving just because of the money, you won’t make it.

1. "You can just google yourself at this point and figure it out." So not true. People that learn and improve do so with the input of experts.
  2. I did NOT say "leave school early."
  3. I said "get feedback."

The only reason some players who are not likely 1st round draft picks (e.g., Al Durham) go through the process is to try to get on the radar of some NBA executives. If you are not invited to the combine, there is no "mentoring" involved. And, there is little feedback. And going through the process could hurt if you are player who is not invited to the combine because it announces to the pro basketball world that you are not a player who would even be drafted in the 2nd round.

1. "You can just google yourself at this point and figure it out." So not true. People that learn and improve do so with the input of experts.
  2. I did NOT say "leave school early."
  3. I said "get feedback."

And what’s a pro scout going to tell him that Archie couldn’t? Beef up, get quicker, work on your right hand, develop a jump shot. That’s all he will be told. Durham, consistency, consistency, consistency, more consistency, show up against good teams, shoot the 3 more, ball handling, decision making. What’s changed since this rule was added? Anyone go out and get way better because of the “advice” or “input” they got? Nope. It’s just a waste of the NBA guys time when he has several guys to work with who actually have a shot right now or who are actually on their radar to make it

The only reason to argue against a kid going through this this process is because your desire for them to stay at IU longer and make our team better is outweighing your ability to let the kid choose what is best for them. It's absurd. It's absolutely absurd to argue against a kid taking advantage of this opportunity that has aspirations of playing at the next level. Having your weaknesses pointed out? Yeah, that's kind of exactly what they want to get feedback on and have the opportunity to prove they can work to get better at those things. Not on the radar for the first round there's no reason to go? That's exactly WHY you go! Find out what you should do to get on the radar! I'm not sure "absurd" even covers some of these arguments. 

I feel that the NBA feedback should be more about where a player falls with regard to potential and fit in the NBA, and less about their actual game. I mean, I kinda agree with Joe in the sense that the players know what they need to work on and the coaches/trainers they have around them can tell them all the need to know. NOW I wouldn't say that a player should just google it lol 

However, I do believe it is useful for players like TJD to figure out what the NBA sees as his potential for the draft and fit within the NBA. They could tell him something like....we feel you need one more year to work on your game in college and if everything goes right you can be a first round pick next year. We see you as a role player in the NBA as you can rebound, have length, etc. Go work on a jump shot and you can be that player. Same for players who are on the fringe of being drafted this year.

Heck, it could be useful for a junior who won't get drafted, but the NBA says look there are a few teams who will give you a chance if you come out and don't get drafted. They are interested in you as an undrafted rookie.

I find the whole process necessary for players who are on the fringe of being drafted or have NBA potential. For guys like Al Durham, I honestly feel it is pointless. There have been those inside NBA organizations who have said the same thing. 

"The only reason to argue against a kid going through this process is because of your desire for them to stay at IU longer..."

That's a totally absurd statement. The question isn't whether TJD is going through the process in order to see if he can go pro now rather than later. He has already stated he is coming back to IU. The question is whether a player who knows he is coming back to school benefits sufficiently from the process to make it worth his time. I think in most cases it doesn't, imo. But it wouldn't bother me if he went through the process or even if he decided to try to latch onto an NBA team. The latter is not likely to happen, however.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

"The only reason to argue against a kid going through this process is because of your desire for them to stay at IU longer..."

That's a totally absurd statement. The question isn't whether TJD is going through the process in order to see if he can go pro now rather than later. He has already stated he is coming back to IU. The question is whether a player who knows he is coming back to school benefits sufficiently from the process to make it worth his time. I think in most cases it doesn't, imo. But it wouldn't bother me if he went through the process or even if he decided to try to latch onto an NBA team. The latter is not likely to happen, however.

You're actually right. It's absurd for me to say "The only reason TO argue...." because there is no good reason to argue that. My statement should have read, "The only reason someone would argue...." Which is not absurd at all. Some people may do it subconsciously, not realizing their own bias is getting in the way. 

Also, how could going through the process not be worth someone's time? Even if every single person you talk to during the process tells you what you already know, at very least it confirms the very things you need to work on. Which would make it incredibly worthwhile to go through the process. 

I feel that the NBA feedback should be more about where a player falls with regard to potential and fit in the NBA, and less about their actual game. I mean, I kinda agree with Joe in the sense that the players know what they need to work on and the coaches/trainers they have around them can tell them all the need to know. NOW I wouldn't say that a player should just google it lol 
However, I do believe it is useful for players like TJD to figure out what the NBA sees as his potential for the draft and fit within the NBA. They could tell him something like....we feel you need one more year to work on your game in college and if everything goes right you can be a first round pick next year. We see you as a role player in the NBA as you can rebound, have length, etc. Go work on a jump shot and you can be that player. Same for players who are on the fringe of being drafted this year.
Heck, it could be useful for a junior who won't get drafted, but the NBA says look there are a few teams who will give you a chance if you come out and don't get drafted. They are interested in you as an undrafted rookie.
I find the whole process necessary for players who are on the fringe of being drafted or have NBA potential. For guys like Al Durham, I honestly feel it is pointless. There have been those inside NBA organizations who have said the same thing. 

TJD is a Tristan Thompson mold. Even at 6-9 he will be able to play center as he builds lower body strength and has the length to rebound and block shots. Honestly, unless he starts shooting the 3 like Watford, he’s a 4 year player.