Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rcbowla

2019-2020 Season Review

Overall this season was about what was expected in total wins but had some highs and some real lows. Very inconsistent and maddening at times. IU would have most likely been in the tournament and USPS can correct me if I'm wrong there. So I'd say it was ok and despite my anger and skepticism AM has earned himself another season at the least to provide more progress. TJD was one of the best FR in the nation and was even more than I thought he would be in year 1. Hunter progressed as the season went on and I personally think very highly of Franklin. Under normal circumstances I would not have been ok with this season but given our recent history it was just that......ok.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I thought we saw a real change in Archie towards the end of the year. I don’t know if it was because he is feeling pressure or what but even though they went 2-3 the last 5 games, I thought IU had turned a corner. Up to 26 defensively in KenPom. Regardless of what happens to the seniors, there is reason for optimism heading into next year. I expect another improvement and a team that will compete to win a lot of games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Micro level there were issues on a game by game basis. 

Macro level there was progression in year 3 from year 2. So that’s two consecutive years of progress. Slowly building. 

Im optimistic for next season. 

Had some serious doubts mid season about Archie here at IU. Was still in support and maintain that with a below average upper class.. and just one baller (TJD) in underclassman, what do you expect. Archie has ton a pretty good job recruiting if you ask me and seems to be picking up steam in my opinion. I feel like these last 3-4 weeks have completely turned my mind around about this program growing some serious stability moving forward. Come on guys, TJD and Khristian together, Arman and Hunter as sophomores, Phinisee possibly healthy.. Al doing Al things again. Race being a dog. That FEELS like a much better, cohesive squad hitting the floor.

Mid year, I was ready to bail. So many games we just did not seem to care and we got blown out.

Then something seemed to change. Archie started breaking white boards, arguing with assistants and having crazy talk moments post game.

At about the same time we started to fight a little more. One home game we led most of the way only to give up the lead and go down by 6 ish. Instead of abandoning ship we actually gritted it out and battled. I honestly can’t remember who it was against or even if we won. I was more impressed that we finally battled.

For the most part that effort seemed to be there the last third of the season. For the most part.

I went from 99% convinced we needed to make a coaching change this year to having some
Hope. That is all i wanted on year 3 was some hope.

Race and Hunter are starting so show some improvement. Al continues a slow steady ascent. TJD was very good. Damezi sat (not picking on him but we needed a tighter more effective rotation). And we signed a 5* PG.

There is hope. Yes there is till doubt, but there is also some hope as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If I recall (no research, too lazy) - conference rank wound up where we were protected to begin the season. I was confident we would "overachieve" and land somewhere around 6th to 8th. I think many others here felt the same.

Question is then, was the preseason predicted rank accurate? Or was it incorrect, as we suspected, but just happened to be true because the B10 as a whole was substantially better than expectation?

To put it another way, almost all B10 teams outplayed their predicted finish - which resulted in predicted rankings being accurate (and predicted win/loss not accurate).

16-15

19-16

20-12*

Progress. Slowly but surely. 

This season was not the most enjoyable as there were just as many lows as there were highs, and then of course it just ended without any finality. There was progress from the year before as this team won more games and in all likelihood was bound for the dance. I honestly think last years team was more talented, which makes this year much more successful. 

I projected the team would finish 19-12 and that is exactly what they did. I didn't expect the BIG to be as tough so 19-12 was probably more like 21-10 most years in the BIG. BUT it was still 19-12 and showed the team was flawed, as is this program right now.  This program is moving forward, just taking a lot longer than most of us would want or hope. Archie deserves another year easily and he will obviously get it. Although this years team met my expectations of 19-12, that is not my expectation for next years team or this program moving forward, but I knew that was realistic for this team. Still feel that Archie is the guy for the job and really hope he gets it done. But i feel there is reason for criticism and skepticism of Archie for those who do not share my sentiment. 

GO HOOSIERS.

16-15
19-16
20-12*
Progress. Slowly but surely. 
This season was not the most enjoyable as there were just as many lows as there were highs, and then of course it just ended without any finality. There was progress from the year before as this team won more games and in all likelihood was bound for the dance. I honestly think last years team was more talented, which makes this year much more successful. 
I projected the team would finish 19-12 and that is exactly what they did. I didn't expect the BIG to be as tough so 19-12 was probably more like 21-10 most years in the BIG. BUT it was still 19-12 and showed the team was flawed, as is this program right now.  This program is moving forward, just taking a lot longer than most of us would want or hope. Archie deserves another year easily and he will obviously get it. Although this years team met my expectations of 19-12, that is not my expectation for next years team or this program moving forward, but I knew that was realistic for this team. Still feel that Archie is the guy for the job and really hope he gets it done. But i feel there is reason for criticism and skepticism of Archie for those who do not share my sentiment. 
GO HOOSIERS.
I really like Archie from a personality aspect so I hope it starts clicking for him. I have just not enjoyed the on-court product for a majority of his tenure. I do realize I get too high and too low with my opinions of the coach and team so I seem like a bipolar fan (fanatic) most of the time. Anyhow he deserves next season for sure but he better produce. I'm talking 22-25 wins in reg season, top 6 of B1G and a 4-6 seed in NCAA tournament. I think that needs to be the next step to keep the fan base engaged.

6 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I really like Archie from a personality aspect so I hope it starts clicking for him. I have just not enjoyed the on-court product for a majority of his tenure. I do realize I get too high and too low with my opinions of the coach and team so I seem like a bipolar fan (fanatic) most of the time. Anyhow he deserves next season for sure but he better produce. I'm talking 22-25 wins in reg season, top 6 of B1G and a 4-6 seed in NCAA tournament. I think that needs to be the next step to keep the fan base engaged.

This is where I am at and honestly feel that is very reasonable. It seems he will have the team to achieve those results too. 

8 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I think I’m less interested in putting an overall regular season win total in place as a next step progress-wise. The other metrics will tell us more I think. So give me a top 5 or 6 finish in conference, a top 6 seed, and however many wins it takes to get there. Only 9 teams total had 25+ regular season wins this season, none in the big ten. Only 2 big ten teams had at least 22 wins. We don’t know enough context yet to know what our regular season win total goal should be.

This season is a great example. A realistic goal was to make the tournament. If someone said before it all started that we’d finish 11th in conference, not many people at all would think that was a tournament team and would assume this season was going to be a failure. But if we were told instead that we’d be the last team selected from the conference and be fairly safely off the bubble, most would likely have agreed that is a realistic target, and a step forward. Same with win totals. If we were told up front we’d have 19 at the end of the reg season, not many would feel great about that. Yet once we had more context on what the conference was going to be like, most agreed we needed to get to the 19 win mark to meet our goal.