Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Lions - CANCELED

9 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

1) We don’t have ENOUGH of a sample size to assume the true mortality rate, especially when comparing to influenza. With the low and asymptomatic cases out there and limited testing, we currently have a falsely low number of total cases and subsequently the likelihood of a lower true mortality rate. The current sensationalized ‘15x more fatal’ than the flu won’t be true in the end (and really isn’t now).

2) Influenza is less selective. I’ve watched it kill the elderly, those with cardiopulmonary comorbidities, poorly controlled diabetics, the immunocompromised.... healthy middle aged adults, healthy young adults, and healthy children. Of course, weighted to the first group. Coronavirus is near exclusive in targeting the first group aggressively. And to my knowledge thus far, there hasn’t been a handful (if any) reports of critical pediatric cases or deaths.

3) It spread like wildfire in China because China is packed in shoulder to shoulder. It’s killing heavily in Italy because their population is top heavy (large geriatric percentage) and their healthcare system is less than stellar and easily taxed.

4) If more of us had a bidet the toilet paper crisis wouldn’t be a thing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree. I think once we get a lot more cases people will realize it's not as serious as its being made out to be. The US has a lot more sprawl than the Chinese cities that have been hit. NYC will probably be hit hard, but Midwestern states like Indiana will be ok, imo. There are a lot of people out there walking around with the virus but no symptoms. Not good for spread, but good for the fatality rate.

29 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

1) We don’t have ENOUGH of a sample size to assume the true mortality rate, especially when comparing to influenza. With the low and asymptomatic cases out there and limited testing, we currently have a falsely low number of total cases and subsequently the likelihood of a lower true mortality rate. The current sensationalized ‘15x more fatal’ than the flu won’t be true in the end (and really isn’t now).

2) Influenza is less selective. I’ve watched it kill the elderly, those with cardiopulmonary comorbidities, poorly controlled diabetics, the immunocompromised.... healthy middle aged adults, healthy young adults, and healthy children. Of course, weighted to the first group. Coronavirus is near exclusive in targeting the first group aggressively. And to my knowledge thus far, there hasn’t been a handful (if any) reports of critical pediatric cases or deaths.

3) It spread like wildfire in China because China is packed in shoulder to shoulder. It’s killing heavily in Italy because their population is top heavy (large geriatric percentage) and their healthcare system is less than stellar and easily taxed.

4) If more of us had a bidet the toilet paper crisis wouldn’t be a thing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with this, especially #4. Bidets are my favorite reason to visit Europe. If loving them is wrong, I don't want to be right. 

9 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That can be canceled also in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My dad has been a season ticket holder since Coach Hep’s first season, and 2020 will be the first year he declines to renew his tickets. I told him to use those preferred points or whatever towards basketball (apparently you lose all that you accumulated if you sit out a season).

On 3/12/2020 at 7:36 PM, Brass Cannon said:

In order for it to drop from 6% to .07% you would need to have about 10 million people to already have been infected. 

You may want to consult a calculator.  The sample currently is so small, the number move quickly and materially.

21 hours ago, CS2 said:

You may want to consult a calculator.  The sample currently is so small, the number move quickly and materially.

I’d suggest you get the calculator. In order for Italy to finish with a mortality rate of .07 over two million more people have to get the disease without any more deaths. 

On 3/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, Brass Cannon said:

I’d suggest you get the calculator. In order for Italy to finish with a mortality rate of .07 over two million more people have to get the disease without any more deaths. 

Italy...I am talking bout the virus.