Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Lions - CANCELED

I trust everyone understands I'm not pro-Corona virus. In fact, my mother is 81. That is why I mentioned these aren't just the "elderly", they are elderly already in poor health. Covid 19 isn't killing them, as much as exacerbating existing problems THE SAME AS ANY NUMBER OF OTHER contagions could. It's not good and it's not meaningless. But the exact same thing happens every single day of the year all around the world and no one bats an eye. 1500 people were dying PER WEEK of the flu at one point in 2017-18?  How many events were cancelled? I don't recall any.  I'm all for reasonable precaution. Lock down nursing homes. Stop international travelers, encourage hygienic practices, etc. 

But cancelling basketball games in empty gyms and hoarding toilet paper are feel good measures with zero impact that only feed the growing hysteria. Panic is counter-productive. 

My brother’s father-in-law is a doctor and he said that the Covid-19 is no worse than the common cold. He said that most people will carry it and be rid of it without even knowing that they carried the virus because our immune systems will adjust and kick it so quick. He said more people should be worried about regular flu season than what is going on and only people truly affected by it are the elderly and those that have an immune deficiency or health issues...just like with the cold or flu. He said while it is an “unknown” and there is no true medicine specified for it at this time, he said there’s no reason to be so much panic and the media is hyping this up way too much and for purposes you can probably guess. He said if they’re shutting events down for this, then they probably need to consider not playing sports or having events during the winter/flu season ever again...because that is much worse. Take it for what it’s worth, but he’s a doctor and I trust his word.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My brother’s father-in-law is a doctor and he said that the Covid-19 is no worse than the common cold. He said that most people will carry it and be rid of it without even knowing that they carried the virus because our immune systems will adjust and kick it so quick. He said more people should be worried about regular flu season than what is going on and only people truly affected by it are the elderly and those that have an immune deficiency or health issues...just like with the cold or flu. He said while it is an “unknown” and there is no true medicine specified for it at this time, he said there’s no reason to be so much panic and the media is hyping this up way too much and for purposes you can probably guess. He said if they’re shutting events down for this, then they probably need to consider not playing sports or having events during the winter/flu season ever again...because that is much worse. Take it for what it’s worth, but he’s a doctor and I trust his word.  

What is his take on Italy? They are having to make decisions there about who gets breathing treatment (much needed) and who does not.

The problem is the limited capacity for hospitals to treat the non life threatening cases let alone the life threatening ones. I am not sure how we are set up here but in Italy they did not have that capacity.

16 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

There is nearly nothing in this post that is correct. But thanks.

More transmissible than the flu.

15X more fatal compared to influenza when comparing persons that sought care for both disease.

If taken lightly and allowed to spread like the flu would result in 500,000+ US deaths

Edited by iu eyedoc

1 hour ago, coachv jr said:

the toilet paper aisle at my local walmart today. don't understand how toilet paper became an essential commode-ity 

IMG_20200312_151755679.jpg

Could just be a few trips to Taco Bell.  Although if they actually take a few trips there they have other problems.

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Experts are saying 3.8% and 6% of resolved cases have ended in a death. But sure your probably right and they are closer to .03% for the reason of it not fitting your narrative. 

Actually the reason would be the sample size and sample skew.  Once less vulnerable people are tested in any numbers, two things will happen: 1.  the positive cases will go up materially and 2 The morbidity rate will drop materially.

7 minutes ago, CS2 said:

Actually the reason would be the sample size and sample skew.  Once less vulnerable people are tested in any numbers, two things will happen: 1.  the positive cases will go up materially and 2 The morbidity rate will drop materially.

In order for it to drop from 6% to .07% you would need to have about 10 million people to already have been infected. 

Tomorrow. Is CANCELED. - GOD (Just thought I’d weigh in here)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Thanks . At this point I want to cancel everything till iu football

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The flu during flu season (Nov-Jan) claimed 16,000 lives in the US this year. Covid-19 has claimed 39 lives (22 of those in a single nursing home in Washington state) since January. The reason the fatality rate looks high is because A LOT more have had Covid-19 already without knowing so those numbers don’t get reported. Not to downplay this, but drink your OJ and wash your hands and we’ll get through this together.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

the media is hyping this up way too much and for purposes you can probably guess.

You're blaming the media for the World Health Organization declaring this a pandemic?  Really?

And what is the supposed purpose to which you're referring? 

What is his take on Italy? They are having to make decisions there about who gets breathing treatment (much needed) and who does not.

The problem is the limited capacity for hospitals to treat the non life threatening cases let alone the life threatening ones. I am not sure how we are set up here but in Italy they did not have that capacity.

Well Italy is a sh!thole. Was before the virus. They’ve been struggling for years. They don’t have the capacity to even take care of everyone. And because they have government healthcare only... well guess who is making the calls on who is being treated... China got hit hard as well because of how poorly the air quality is there. They wear mask there without a virus going around. Obviously those are just pieces to everything. Something that should still be taken seriously and hopefully researchers figure out something quickly.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Familiar with the term cherry picking your data. 

besides South Korea has had 399 cases resolve and 66 of those cases end in death. Not sure how you claim that’s .7 percent but I’m sure you’ll find a way to twist it 

Citing an actual source is cherry picking now? That source being one of the only countries in the world actually prepared to test large amounts of people and therefore having a more accurate reading of the actual fatality rate. 

You follow up by citing figures implying a 16.5% fatality rate with NO SOURCE. Classic.

”Nice cherry picking of that reputable source with a large sample size. Here’s some numbers I made up instead.”

4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Citing an actual source is cherry picking now? That source being one of the only countries in the world actually prepared to test large amounts of people and therefore having a more accurate reading of the actual fatality rate. 

You follow up by citing figures implying a 16.5% fatality rate with NO SOURCE. Classic.

”Nice cherry picking of that reputable source with a large sample size. Here’s some numbers I made up instead.”

You didn’t cite a single source. 

399 cases is the official number reported by 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

They have since updated to 510 recovered and 67 dead. 

So of 577 cases resolved 67 have died.  Yep certainly less than a percent  

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

From the same line: Out of 7,402 active cases, 93 are in serious/critical condition. Without having specifics on each case(age/existing health/etc.) all these numbers are useless. Take care of yourself and your loved ones and hopefully some of these pre-emptive measures keep this disease away from those it can harm.

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

“BBC reporting isn’t a source, so here’s WORLDOMETERS.”

I think we’re done here hahaha. Next time try to make the trolling a little less obvious. 

2 hours ago, jbell833 said:

The flu during flu season (Nov-Jan) claimed 16,000 lives in the US this year. Covid-19 has claimed 39 lives (22 of those in a single nursing home in Washington state) since January. The reason the fatality rate looks high is because A LOT more have had Covid-19 already without knowing so those numbers don’t get reported. Not to downplay this, but drink your OJ and wash your hands and we’ll get through this together.

I dont believe it just showed up in that nursing home. With all the down time I suggest doing some research. Start with Event 201. This was released in China.

1) We don’t have ENOUGH of a sample size to assume the true mortality rate, especially when comparing to influenza. With the low and asymptomatic cases out there and limited testing, we currently have a falsely low number of total cases and subsequently the likelihood of a lower true mortality rate. The current sensationalized ‘15x more fatal’ than the flu won’t be true in the end (and really isn’t now).

2) Influenza is less selective. I’ve watched it kill the elderly, those with cardiopulmonary comorbidities, poorly controlled diabetics, the immunocompromised.... healthy middle aged adults, healthy young adults, and healthy children. Of course, weighted to the first group. Coronavirus is near exclusive in targeting the first group aggressively. And to my knowledge thus far, there hasn’t been a handful (if any) reports of critical pediatric cases or deaths.

3) It spread like wildfire in China because China is packed in shoulder to shoulder. It’s killing heavily in Italy because their population is top heavy (large geriatric percentage) and their healthcare system is less than stellar and easily taxed.

4) If more of us had a bidet the toilet paper crisis wouldn’t be a thing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners