Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Lions - CANCELED

2009 - 2010 60 million people infected with swine flu and 300,000 hospitalized. Mostly attacked the young.
Do you remember it?
Me either.
What’s the difference with this virus?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I had H1N1 in 2009 paired with strep throat.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just because people are old doesn’t mean their lives are more or less valuable. That 81 year old is somebody’s mother, grandmother maybe great grandmother. 

Nobody made any type of assertion that their lives mean more or less.... That's you trying to find a way to argue your narrative.

The FACTS of the matter are that there is a difference between older or immuno compromised people dying from a new virus vs younger otherwise healthy people. There obviously need to be precautions... but the precautions taken by 1 group aren't the same as need to be taken by the other. The amount of PANIC in the streets would be much different as well....

Do you see people in Indiana boarding up and stocking up during Hurricane season? NO... but the people in Florida or on the East Coast do.... different precautions for different risks.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Swine flu has a .03% fatality rate. Versus 3% plus 

That is not currently ascertainable... nobody has any idea yet what the fatality rate is... If I was a betting man I would say it is much closer to the .03% - .1% range than this made up number of 3%

1 minute ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Nobody made any type of assertion that their lives mean more or less.... That's you trying to find a way to argue your narrative.

The FACTS of the matter are that there is a difference between older or immuno compromised people dying from a new virus vs younger otherwise healthy people. There obviously need to be precautions... but the precautions taken by 1 group aren't the same as need to be taken by the other. The amount of PANIC in the streets would be much different as well....

Do you see people in Indiana boarding up and stocking up during Hurricane season? NO... but the people in Florida or on the East Coast do.... different precautions for different risks.

That is not currently ascertainable... nobody has any idea yet what the fatality rate is... If I was a betting man I would say it is much closer to the .03% - .1% range than this made up number of 3%

Experts are saying 3.8% and 6% of resolved cases have ended in a death. But sure your probably right and they are closer to .03% for the reason of it not fitting your narrative. 

Not making light or looking to start an argument but the average age of the fatalities in Italy is 81. I don't want anyone to get sick or die. But these are elderly, infirm people that would be dying of something, and it just happens to be COVID 19. Personally, I think this degree of panic and hysteria is embarrassing and unnecessary. 

I TOTALLY agree with you. Some common sense and reasoning would go along way to stabilize the situation. They are creating a PANIC-Demic.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Experts are saying 3.8% and 6% of resolved cases have ended in a death. But sure your probably right and they are closer to .03% for the reason of it not fitting your narrative. 

Experts?

11 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Experts?

Any expert whose opinion is worth anything, would not be anywhere close to willing to provide an estimate or projection on mortality rate without sample size and statistically significant data (neither of which we have). If I roll dice three times and get 4 twice, and tell you the chances of dice rolled being 4 is 66% you would not call me an expert on dice. This is hyperbole, but about where we are with the amount of data they have on this virus. About three rolls of the dice.

Still serious. Don’t take this lightly. My opinion only. All the other disclaimers. 

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I trust everyone understands I'm not pro-Corona virus. In fact, my mother is 81. That is why I mentioned these aren't just the "elderly", they are elderly already in poor health. Covid 19 isn't killing them, as much as exacerbating existing problems THE SAME AS ANY NUMBER OF OTHER contagions could. It's not good and it's not meaningless. But the exact same thing happens every single day of the year all around the world and no one bats an eye. 1500 people were dying PER WEEK of the flu at one point in 2017-18?  How many events were cancelled? I don't recall any. 

I'm all for reasonable precaution. Lock down nursing homes. Stop international travelers, encourage hygienic practices, etc. 

But cancelling basketball games in empty gyms and hoarding toilet paper are feel good measures with zero impact that only feed the growing hysteria. Panic is counter-productive. 

There are simultaneous over-reactions and under-reactions. Cause more than a few people suck, ya know! :)

Sane adults weigh the evidence, consider the sources and context, and make decisions NOT based on guarantees, but based on the best odds for success. Experts like infectious disease organizations are not infallible; they're merely excellent.

So who ya gonna listen to? Infectious disease experts, or the advert for Alex Jones Coronavirus-cure toothpaste? images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSJJtfgowr_PqUAzLPqK(yes, that's a real item, and no, other than minty fresh oral hygiene it doesn't do jack).

51 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Any expert whose opinion is worth anything, would not be anywhere close to willing to provide an estimate or projection on mortality rate without sample size and statistically significant data (neither of which we have). If I roll dice three times and get 4 twice, and tell you the chances of dice rolled being 4 is 66% you would not call me an expert on dice. This is hyperbole, but about where we are with the amount of data they have on this virus. About three rolls of the dice.

Still serious. Don’t take this lightly. My opinion only. All the other disclaimers. 

I tried this angle earlier. It won't work here (or anywhere now).

8 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I tried this angle earlier. It won't work here (or anywhere now).

It’s okay. I’m not trying to change minds or be the word on this at all. It’s fluid and could change at any moment. But putting other views of the reality of this situation out there even if it doesn’t make an impact, at least evens out the conversation so it isn’t completely one-sided and folks get some perspective, no matter how minimal. Everyone be safe, do what you think is best for yourself and your families. But try to let things play out and remember statistics can be made to support almost any narrative. Try not to focus on any single one and look at the entirety of the information available to base your opinions. Respect everyone on this board and hope for the best for everyone, sincerely. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

There are simultaneous over-reactions and under-reactions. Cause more than a few people suck, ya know! :)

Sane adults weigh the evidence, consider the sources and context, and make decisions NOT based on guarantees, but based on the best odds for success. Experts like infectious disease organizations are not infallible; they're merely excellent.

So who ya gonna listen to? Infectious disease experts, or the advert for Alex Jones Coronavirus-cure toothpaste? images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSJJtfgowr_PqUAzLPqK(yes, that's a real item, and no, other than minty fresh oral hygiene it doesn't do jack).

"Buy my overpriced toothpaste to fund my conspiracy theories" during a pandemic.  Wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm really not.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The experts are also saying, as you surely know, that the only people being tested are the ones with symptoms. And even then, given the scarcity of tests, only people with more than mild symptoms. Plenty of people are walking around with this virus who are asymptomatic or only experiencing mild symptoms.

One of the only countries actually dedicated to testing EVERYBODY is South Korea where the death rate is 0.7%. So Str8Hoosiers just won big money on his bet.

Health officials believe this approach may be saving lives. The fatality rate for coronavirus in South Korea is 0.7%. Globally the World Health Organization has reported 3.4% - but scientists estimate that the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The experts are also saying, as you surely know, that the only people being tested are the ones with symptoms. And even then, given the scarcity of tests, only people with more than mild symptoms. Plenty of people are walking around with this virus who are asymptomatic or only experiencing mild symptoms.

One of the only countries actually dedicated to testing EVERYBODY is South Korea where the death rate is 0.7%. So Str8Hoosiers just won big money on his bet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

Familiar with the term cherry picking your data. 

besides South Korea has had 399 cases resolve and 66 of those cases end in death. Not sure how you claim that’s .7 percent but I’m sure you’ll find a way to twist it