Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Lions - CANCELED

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Will we play? If we do and nobody sees it, does it count? Crazy times. Anyway.....

IU: 20-12

Penn State: 21-10

TV: BTN

GO HOOSIERS! Lets get another win and shove Lunardi in his trash can for good. 

Sounds like we will play.  Not sure about Tourney might depend on death toll in the coming days. If we follow Italy’s progression it could be really bad by Sunday. 

I saw that Archie said he would have to change his coaching style since nobody will be in the arena to drown out his cursing. I am willing to bet that will be impossible to do once the game starts and he feels like he needs to exchange some "pleasantries" with the officials. 

20 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I saw that Archie said he would have to change his coaching style since nobody will be in the arena to drown out his cursing. I am willing to bet that will be impossible to do once the game starts and he feels like he needs to exchange some "pleasantries" with the officials. 

I was thinking the same thing about the players. I wonder how many of those exchanges will be audible.

8 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I was thinking the same thing about the players. I wonder how many of those exchanges will be audible.

Will they have courtside mics since the announcers will be covering the games remotely from Chicago.  Maybe they'll just pipe in some crowd noise kinda like laugh tracks on sitcoms.

22 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

This will be an issue across the board today and going forward both coaches and players. It should be quite funny at times. This may have been subconscious last night b/c I knew we'd be watching games with no crowds today, but I felt like they had the mics around the court turned up and I could hear the shoes squeaking more. Maybe they were transitioning? But I can see by the end of the weekend that TV broadcasts somehow loop in some moderate crowd noise, or the arenas start going the NBA route with music and other things being piped in to drown out language. 

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Will they have courtside mics since the announcers will be covering the games remotely from Chicago.  Maybe they'll just pipe in some crowd noise kinda like laugh tracks on sitcoms.

That's funny. I can't stand that piped in laughter. I'm just thinking of a guy sitting there with different applause noises and he has to quickly decide if this was a highlight so that he can nail the correct applause level.

9 minutes ago, bigrod said:

That's funny. I can't stand that piped in laughter. I'm just thinking of a guy sitting there with different applause noises and he has to quickly decide if this was a highlight so that he can nail the correct applause level.

Well, I'm not so sure that's not what they did for Logan Duncomb's high school game in Ohio that I watched last evening.  Basically no spectators; both teams with cheerleading squads but no one to lead in cheers.  There was always some background noise but a lot of times, the volume level jumped when nothing was really happening on the court and what people you could see in attendance were just sitting and doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sounds like we will play.  Not sure about Tourney might depend on death toll in the coming days. If we follow Italy’s progression it could be really bad by Sunday. 

Not making light or looking to start an argument but the average age of the fatalities in Italy is 81. I don't want anyone to get sick or die. But these are elderly, infirm people that would be dying of something, and it just happens to be COVID 19. Personally, I think this degree of panic and hysteria is embarrassing and unnecessary. 

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Not making light or looking to start an argument but the average age of the fatalities in Italy is 81. I don't want anyone to get sick or die. But these are elderly, infirm people that would be dying of something, and it just happens to be COVID 19. Personally, I think this degree of panic and hysteria is embarrassing and unnecessary. 

It's not so much the death rate. event though high, it's about overloading the hospital system. There's only a finite number of beds, healthcare workers and supplies needed for an outbreak like this. This is less panic and hysteria and more being diligent and trying to prevent something worse.  The exponential growth of the number of cases can skyrocket quickly. 

19 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

So if these were 18 year olds dying you would feel differently?

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

So if these were 18 year olds dying you would feel differently?

Yes... as would most people.

If HEALTHY 18 year olds were dying this would signify a very BIG difference vs what is actually happening.

15 minutes ago, sirhoosierlot said:

It's not so much the death rate. event though high, it's about overloading the hospital system. There's only a finite number of beds, healthcare workers and supplies needed for an outbreak like this. This is less panic and hysteria and more being diligent and trying to prevent something worse.  The exponential growth of the number of cases can skyrocket quickly. 

No doubt, but don't you think that playing in empty arenas on TV mitigates the risk?   Where do you draw the line?

Just now, Str8Hoosiers said:

Yes... as would most people.

If HEALTHY 18 year olds were dying this would signify a very BIG difference vs what is actually happening.

Just because people are old doesn’t mean their lives are more or less valuable. That 81 year old is somebody’s mother, grandmother maybe great grandmother. 

2009 - 2010 60 million people infected with swine flu and 300,000 hospitalized. Mostly attacked the young.
Do you remember it?
Me either.
What’s the difference with this virus?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners