Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball vs Purdue - March 4 @ 3:05

I talk about winning cultures and not winning seasons as critical and this game and programs show it.

IU has built a winning culture last decade in baseball and as a result when we get in a tight spot we wiggle out of it. PU who has not built a winning culture and has had only a couple winning seasons gets in a mess and implodes.

Their is a reason IU lost to PU even in a down year this year in basketball, as despite a not great season PU is right near the bubble in their down year and can win big games (like IU baseball's one 'down' year in 2016 when we just missed tourney and finished high in conference). Purdue has a winning culture in basketball. IU has a winning culture in baseball (and soccer).

The other current up's at IU (Women's Basketball, Softball, Football etc.) are having winning seasons, but so has PU in baseball at times, so unless you can turn that winning season into a winning culture like IU baseball did in 08 you will be up and down at best. PU had similar winning seasons in baseball in 2012 and 2017 and imploded year after each time. IU turned their winning season in baseball into constant winning and other programs at IU need to learn from it and not do what Purdue has done in baseball each time they have sniffed success or you will be a mediocre program at best.

28 minutes ago, mamasa said:

This does not appear to affect the Governor's Cup standings (which we lead 9 to 4)

I would think the winner of three of the four games overall this year gets the point or if they split 2-2, they split the point as that is what happened last time we played four games in 2017. 

13-1 winning culture over the team with inconsistent winning seasons (see my previous post for what I am talking about).

Also small ball seems to have taken over since that is what Mercer wants. He was just smart enough to realize Lemonis left him power hitters, so he ran with it last year and made it better doing that and now will install his system of analytics and small ball.