Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

And when we draw those lines on the court to show where our players to go, it’s really easy to defend.

That’s why you draw the diagrams on card stock and have your assistant hold them up during the game. 

Oturu is averaging 20 and 11.  TJD has had three games where he has put those numbers up.  Oturu consistently puts up numbers.

Can’t argue that he puts up better numbers. I’m not suggesting TJD should be #7 ahead of Otturu but it was suggested that TJD wasn’t even getting looks to get drafted because doesn’t have an nba game/skill set and was an undersized 5 (paraphrasing).

My point is that Otturu is projected as a lottery pick and they aren’t that different in terms of size and skill set yet one is lottery and the other isn’t on any draft boards

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Draft boards agree but why is Otturu projected at #7? He the same height but skinnier than TJD and has no game outside the paint. He is #7 and doesn’t do anything that TJD doesn’t and head to head TJD crushed him

Trevor Mbakwe made Cody Zeller his b*tch for a game in 2013. That didn't mean he was a better pro prospect. 

Trevor Mbakwe made Cody Zeller his b*tch for a game in 2013. That didn't mean he was a better pro prospect. 

Come on now, that’s half the question/argument. The other half is that TJD and Otturu are similar in size and youth, in fact TJD is younger so maybe more upside/room to develop.

Mbakwe is 6’8”, Zeller is 7’0” - there aren’t many 7 footers that can move like Zeller

I have no idea what the NBA scouts look for in players or why they value certain players over others. I've grown tired of losing players prematurely to the pros while some of our competitors keep better players, so I'm certainly not going to complain if the shoe is on the other foot for once. 

I have no idea what the NBA scouts look for in players or why they value certain players over others. I've grown tired of losing players prematurely to the pros while some of our competitors keep better players, so I'm certainly not going to complain if the shoe is on the other foot for once. 

I would love for TJD to stay for 4 years because I think by his senior year he could be the best big in the country but it’s in his best interest and not a bad thing for IU to get him to the league at some point soon, otherwise word of mouth is that IU is the place where talented players go to die

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I would love for TJD to stay for 4 years because I think by his senior year he could be the best big in the country but it’s in his best interest and not a bad thing for IU to get him to the league at some point soon, otherwise word of mouth is that IU is the place where talented players go to die

The mental gymnastics that go on in this fanbase...incredible. 

Win and good players will come. If they're more worried about the NBA, they can go someplace that's more concerned with getting guys to the NBA. We'll be fine with our players who come here to win. (dreaming of the day we have a stable program that does this)

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Can’t argue that he puts up better numbers. I’m not suggesting TJD should be #7 ahead of Otturu but it was suggested that TJD wasn’t even getting looks to get drafted because doesn’t have an nba game/skill set and was an undersized 5 (paraphrasing).

My point is that Otturu is projected as a lottery pick and they aren’t that different in terms of size and skill set yet one is lottery and the other isn’t on any draft boards

Valid question. Oturu is a little heavier and a year older?

I haven't seen Oturu listed anywhere near the lottery (ESPN has him 38). Mostly back of the first round. He can also shoot a bit more from the outside. Not a great shooter, but 30% from 3, and seems like people believe he can develop that further. If TJD was able to score consistently away from the block, which I expect him to do next year, he will likely be a 1st rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen Oturu listed anywhere near the lottery (ESPN has him 38). Mostly back of the first round. He can also shoot a bit more from the outside. Not a great shooter, but 30% from 3, and seems like people believe he can develop that further. If TJD was able to score consistently away from the block, which I expect him to do next year, he will likely be a 1st rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

Article on Oturu and his growth from last year. His jump from last year's numbers and presence of an outside shot most likely the biggest difference in him being on draft boards and TJD not appearing anywhere.
https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/daniel-oturu-a-top-10-pick-in-the-2020-nba-draft/

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app