Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers

22 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Race 3-3 from the line, 10 boards, 50% from the field and the most telling stat 21 +/- 

Does anyone now where I can find a player's +/- stat?  I can't seem to find it on the various sites I'm looking at.  

I don't know that there is just one site that will give you that info.  You'd have to look at each individual game and it would take some time but that stat can be found at:

http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=ind

One negative.

I did notice on several occasions we had clogged driving lanes on the side we were driving.

Trayce was just an absolute beast and made up for a lot of the normal, same negative stuff we are used to seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I mentioned the one very early on when Rob had a screen set for him to drive right into Deron. Somebody or everybody is making the same mistakes over and over again. That or that's what they are instructed to do. It's almost as if they are trying to set the screen just so they can get a clean post entry??? However if that's the case then they still aren't doing that effectively. Sad thing is there are many times I feel that Rob would do something productive if he didn't have his own man protecting the rim against him. It's maddening now that it has been brought to my attention.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I mentioned the one very early on when Rob had a screen set for him to drive right into Deron. Somebody or everybody is making the same mistakes over and over again. That or that's what they are instructed to do. It's almost as if they are trying to set the screen just so they can get a clean post entry??? However if that's the case then they still aren't doing that effectively. Sad thing is there are many times I feel that Rob would do something productive if he didn't have his own man protecting the rim against him. It's maddening now that it has been brought to my attention.

That has been my thought about the offense the more I watch. It seems as if the ball screens are being set to give us a clean look at a post feed rather than an open driving lane, or maybe its being left to the discretion of the guard to decide once he has a lane. But, poor screening, driving, big men sealing their man, and decision making could all play a factor into the discombobulated offense that we see on most offensive possessions.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

That has been my thought about the offense the more I watch. It seems as if the ball screens are being set to give us a clean look at a post feed rather than an open driving lane, or maybe its being left to the discretion of the guard to decide once he has a lane. But, poor screening, driving, big men sealing their man, and decision making could all play a factor into the discombobulated offense that we see on most offensive possessions.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Seems more likely than what I had been thinking.

Even if he would make the center flash to the middle, and make a quick decision I think it would be better. The center can float to the opposite block if the guard turns the corner and dribbles once instead of passing. But keeping him on the block as that move is made just doesn’t give enough time for that. I too think they are trying to free up the open entry. I don’t like it, but if we are going to do that, it wouldn’t be a tough adjustment.

While we are adjusting things, might want to tighten up that baseline inbound defense under the opponents basket. If every defensive possession was to start from there, we’d have lost that game 287-0.

TJD kicked the shirt out of Otturu. Does a game like that put TJD on watch from the NBA or is he still not going to get any attention there?

He made Otturu look like a scrub

He’s still an undersized 5 with no jump shot. Yes he hit one against Minnesota but it was ugly. That’s not a fit for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s still an undersized 5 with no jump shot. Yes he hit one against Minnesota but it was ugly. That’s not a fit for the NBA.

Draft boards agree but why is Otturu projected at #7? He the same height but skinnier than TJD and has no game outside the paint. He is #7 and doesn’t do anything that TJD doesn’t and head to head TJD crushed him

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Draft boards agree but why is Otturu projected at #7? He the same height but skinnier than TJD and has no game outside the paint. He is #7 and doesn’t do anything that TJD doesn’t and head to head TJD crushed him

I have only watched a few games of Minnesota's and have been underwhelmed by Oturu. Must just be the games I watch.

But TJD absolutely destroyed him on both ends of the floor. Heck, Race had a few finishes over him. 

This begs the question though, Oturu will leave after this year and Minnesota in all likelihood will be much worse next year without him. Does Richard Pitino keep his job? 

Even if he would make the center flash to the middle, and make a quick decision I think it would be better. The center can float to the opposite block if the guard turns the corner and dribbles once instead of passing. But keeping him on the block as that move is made just doesn’t give enough time for that. I too think they are trying to free up the open entry. I don’t like it, but if we are going to do that, it wouldn’t be a tough adjustment.

So picture #1 is what we currently do. It’s not ideal. No driving lane. Makes the roll by Trayce completely useless. Picture #2 is what would be ideal with Brunk/Davis playing along side Trayce. Or even if it’s Trayce and Brunk/Davis are setting the screen. Davis can hit That 15 foot jump shot. I think THD can but he’s not confident to do it in game. Picture #3 is what would be best. Phinisee/Green/Al getting the screen from Trayce with Race/Smith out at the 3 in the corner. Gives the driving lane for the guard, a clearer roll lane, Race can hit the corner 3. Smith might be able to but it really works best because he could backcut if the guard doesn’t commit to the drive or if the defender is dumb enough to overplay Smith in the corner.
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

I have only watched a few games of Minnesota's and have been underwhelmed by Oturu. Must just be the games I watch.

But TJD absolutely destroyed him on both ends of the floor. Heck, Race had a few finishes over him. 

This begs the question though, Oturu will leave after this year and Minnesota in all likelihood will be much worse next year without him. Does Richard Pitino keep his job? 

Just opened the GopherHole Board to see what the fanbase is saying. First thread "Why would you keep Pitino?"

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So picture #1 is what we currently do. It’s not ideal. No driving lane. Makes the roll by Trayce completely useless. Picture #2 is what would be ideal with Brunk/Davis playing along side Trayce. Or even if it’s Trayce and Brunk/Davis are setting the screen. Davis can hit That 15 foot jump shot. I think THD can but he’s not confident to do it in game. Picture #3 is what would be best. Phinisee/Green/Al getting the screen from Trayce with Race/Smith out at the 3 in the corner. Gives the driving lane for the guard, a clearer roll lane, Race can hit the corner 3. Smith might be able to but it really works best because he could backcut if the guard doesn’t commit to the drive or if the defender is dumb enough to overplay Smith in the corner.
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

I totally agree with the concepts, but until we show we are a consistent threat to make those shots, I don't think we pull the defenders out with us. They will at least "hedge" toward the basket.

I totally agree with the concepts, but until we show we are a consistent threat to make those shots, I don't think we pull the defenders out with us. They will at least "hedge" toward the basket.

It’d be a good experiment. And worth the try. Race is a 30% 3pt shooter. Smith is at 27%. College players make mistakes on defense often. It would at least give us the option. OR as in this picture, have Race/Smith in the opposite corner with Green/Al/Rob in that corner giving the guard a better option at the 3. But that only works with Race or Smith playing the 4.

IMG_2844.jpg

5 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

And when we draw those lines on the court to show where our players to go, it’s really easy to defend.

15 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Oturu is averaging 20 and 11.  TJD has had three games where he has put those numbers up.  Oturu consistently puts up numbers.