Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

NCAA Immediate Play Transfer Close to Reality for Next Season

Per ESPN article and with other news sources confirming, looks like a one time immediate eligibility transfer proposal is likely for next season for D1 players in good standing:

NCAA studies idea of 1 transfer with no penalty

The NCAA Division I transfer waiver working group is considering a concept that would allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out a year of competition.

If adopted by the Division I council, the new waiver criteria would allow athletes in all sports to compete immediately if they are in good academic standing, not facing suspension at their original school, and receive a release to transfer. The NCAA's announcement comes a day after the ACC voiced its support for a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all sports.

The waiver transfer working group will gather feedback about the new concept in advance of the Division I Council's April meeting, and targets approval for those transferring during the 2020-21 academic year.

"The current system is unsustainable," said Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher, chair of the transfer waiver working group. "Working group members believe it's time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today's college landscape."

NCAA rules currently allow a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all but five sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey. Athletes transferring in those sports must sit out a year of competition unless they graduate from their original institution or obtain an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA.

Waiver criteria changes are not part of the NCAA's normal legislative cycle and still must be approved by the Division I Council, which next meets in April. The NCAA board in November placed a moratorium on transfer related proposals, as the Big Ten in October introduced a proposal outlining a one-time transfer exemption for all sports.

In a news release, the NCAA said its board acknowledged the "stress" of the current waiver process, which has led to several high-profile players being declared immediately eligible and others being denied.

"More than a third of all college students transfer at least once, and the Division I rule prohibiting immediate competition for students who play five sports hasn't discouraged them from transferring," Steinbrecher said. "This dynamic has strained the waiver process, which was designed to handle extenuating and extraordinary circumstances."

Steinbrecher added that the transfer working group will examine potential problems with an immediate-eligibility concept, such as "other coaches potentially tampering with currently enrolled student-athletes."

The group supports a waiver process for athletes who have previously transferred or would not qualify for the new guidelines, saying approvals would only be granted for "truly extenuating and unique circumstances that threaten a student-athlete's health and safety."

Per ESPN article and with other news sources confirming, looks like a one time immediate eligibility transfer proposal is likely for next season for D1 players in good standing:

NCAA studies idea of 1 transfer with no penalty

The NCAA Division I transfer waiver working group is considering a concept that would allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting out a year of competition.

If adopted by the Division I council, the new waiver criteria would allow athletes in all sports to compete immediately if they are in good academic standing, not facing suspension at their original school, and receive a release to transfer. The NCAA's announcement comes a day after the ACC voiced its support for a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all sports.

The waiver transfer working group will gather feedback about the new concept in advance of the Division I Council's April meeting, and targets approval for those transferring during the 2020-21 academic year.

"The current system is unsustainable," said Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher, chair of the transfer waiver working group. "Working group members believe it's time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today's college landscape."

NCAA rules currently allow a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all but five sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey. Athletes transferring in those sports must sit out a year of competition unless they graduate from their original institution or obtain an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA.

Waiver criteria changes are not part of the NCAA's normal legislative cycle and still must be approved by the Division I Council, which next meets in April. The NCAA board in November placed a moratorium on transfer related proposals, as the Big Ten in October introduced a proposal outlining a one-time transfer exemption for all sports.

In a news release, the NCAA said its board acknowledged the "stress" of the current waiver process, which has led to several high-profile players being declared immediately eligible and others being denied.

"More than a third of all college students transfer at least once, and the Division I rule prohibiting immediate competition for students who play five sports hasn't discouraged them from transferring," Steinbrecher said. "This dynamic has strained the waiver process, which was designed to handle extenuating and extraordinary circumstances."

Steinbrecher added that the transfer working group will examine potential problems with an immediate-eligibility concept, such as "other coaches potentially tampering with currently enrolled student-athletes."

The group supports a waiver process for athletes who have previously transferred or would not qualify for the new guidelines, saying approvals would only be granted for "truly extenuating and unique circumstances that threaten a student-athlete's health and safety."

Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Bad idea. Coaches won't be able to discipline players if they can just freely leave and play immediately. Don't like your playing time? No need to stick it out and work harder when you can just leave. 

Can only do it once. 

I've heard all of the talk about how "tough" it is for IU to get transfers.  Admittedly, I don't know much about it.  Will the restrictions/roadblocks make it more difficult for IU to take on a transfer or is that mainly related to "grad transfers?  

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Can Archie win these recruiting battles? We need a miracle next year and maybe this is it.

Do we want Keion Brooks? Really would change the college landscape. I, personally don’t like it one bit, but it’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Good point. This could be Archie’s salvation. 

This will amp up recruiting to a whole new level.

Imagine being a college coach that has to recruit not just 16 year olds, but also has the ability to recruit every single D1 player that hasn't transferred before.

Seems like it will be an advantage to young, energetic coaches with a solid travel budget.

2 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I've heard all of the talk about how "tough" it is for IU to get transfers.  Admittedly, I don't know much about it.  Will the restrictions/roadblocks make it more difficult for IU to take on a transfer or is that mainly related to "grad transfers?  

I believe that is grad transfers. IU has to offer a program the previous school did not offer, if I remember correctly. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This will amp up recruiting to a whole new level.

Imagine being a college coach that has to recruit not just 16 year olds, but also has the ability to recruit every single D1 player that hasn't transferred before.

Seems like it will be an advantage to young, energetic coaches with a solid travel budget.

Wonder if some coaches fully transition away from high school kids. 

Can Archie win these recruiting battles? We need a miracle next year and maybe this is it.

Do we want Keion Brooks? Really would change the college landscape. I, personally don’t like it one bit, but it’s happening.

Smith out and Keion in? Would love that.

****, are we comfortable with the NCAA “studying” anything? They don’t know their ******* from a hole in the ground.

This will be college free agency. You can bet some top freshmen will be seeking their “second contract” after not getting exactly what they had hoped at their first stop.

****, are we comfortable with the NCAA “studying” anything? They don’t know their ******* from a hole in the ground.

This will be college free agency. You can bet some top freshmen will be seeking their “second contract” after not getting exactly what they had hoped at their first stop.

It will be madness. But maybe fun in a way. Should make things easier for elite programs if Indiana could ever act like one again.

I only want to keep 2 or 3 on our whole team. Let Archie try again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app