Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iu eyedoc

Archie Miller: An Assessment

10 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Archie Miller on his radio show, says the coaching staff is going to have to do things differently whenever they play Michigan again. Says there are certain things defensively they've realized they just can't do anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Next hedge that goes to midcourt, Archie owes us 50 pushups.

11 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Archie Miller on his radio show, says the coaching staff is going to have to do things differently whenever they play Michigan again. Says there are certain things defensively they've realized they just can't do anymore

Took long enough to realize it.  Too bad nothing will change.

12 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Oh well glad they caught up to 60% of the fan base.  

7 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Next hedge that goes to midcourt, Archie owes us 50 pushups.

Especially by a guy who's slower than the guy he's guarding so he has no chance to get back to the screener when he rolls.  Good Lord...how many times do you have to see that?    You don't HAVE to blitz a ball screen with a slow guy.  Hell, I'd rather jam it and risk the foul call or switch it and give up the drive or the jump shot.  Anything but the uncontested roll.

Especially by a guy who's slower than the guy he's guarding so he has no chance to get back to the screener when he rolls.  Good Lord...how many times do you have to see that?    You don't HAVE to blitz a ball screen with a slow guy.  Hell, I'd rather jam it and risk the foul call or switch it and give up the drive or the jump shot.  Anything but the uncontested roll.

And plenty of times that ball screen is coming at 30’ out so the opponent as a 4v3 break in the half court. No idea how the staff hasn’t seen this live, on film, or a friend/relative that knows anything about basketball has told them to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 2/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, Uspshoosier said:

It’s hard to believe that we get that amazing insight for only a few million dollars a year.

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

And plenty of times that ball screen is coming at 30’ out so the opponent as a 4v3 break in the half court. No idea how the staff hasn’t seen this live, on film, or a friend/relative that knows anything about basketball has told them to stop.

They're trying to protect against the ball handler getting downhill; which is a maddening strategy because help should be there, and also his getting an open jumper off the ball screen.  But..even on the roll; help isn't there.  Defenders are chasing and hugged up.  No team defense or communication at all.  No effort sometimes on close outs (and it's that way so often that when there IS effort, it's noticeable).   It's almost like we're trying so hard to guard against even allowing the 3 point shot we've gotten away from the design of the pack line, which is to take away the paint.   I don't get it.

BTW....it might be time to start addressing what could be the real log clogging issue.  Might not be Brunk.  Might be Justin Smith playing the three.  If you can’t shoot, you can’t be a three.  And if you can’t be a three and aren’t willing to play the four, you can’t play.  TJD is a better 4, so unless Smith is willing to back him up or be in when Brunk sits, maybe he simply can’t play. At this point I’d rather have Hunter anyway.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, brumdog45 said:

BTW....it might be time to start addressing what could be the real log clogging issue.  Might not be Brunk.  Might be Justin Smith playing the three.  If you can’t shoot, you can’t be a three.  And if you can’t be a three and aren’t willing to play the four, you can’t play.  TJD is a better 4, so unless Smith is willing to back him up or be in when Brunk sits, maybe he simply can’t play. At this point I’d rather have Hunter anyway.

Yep. Race and Hunter need to get the minutes. 

Smith doesn’t help. But Brunk is a bigger issue. Archie is the biggest issue.