Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball @ LSU - Feb. 14-16

Thought Bierman would go Friday as more the power guy. I worry as has been the case for several years that Sommer and Bierman are two and three starters forced into the one role. Sommer is clearly not a one (unless we has REALLY improved) so the fact Bierman wasn't able to grab it may not speak well. I like Bierman as your two and have no idea on Tucker as the three. My thought if things go badly Friday and Sunday, is throw Tucker out to open a series and pray for the best then bring Bierman and Sommer on weekend where we can get wins which is kind of how its been since Hart left.

Outside of the starting rotation I am optimistic about bullpen and offense. For this weekend I will take one win and be happy or even not panic if we lose all three. LSU is the best team we face this year and am more curious how we do in future games after this weekend. Love the challenge though and nice to play with house money to open the season. 

SCHEDULE CHANGE

Because of the strong probability of rain for Sunday, the teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday.  First game set for 2:00 ET followed by the second game 60 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.  Both are scheduled for 9-innings.

On Friday night we dropped our season opener 8-1 to LSU.  Sommer started and pitched 4 innings giving up 5 runs on 5 hits; 2 BB.  Two of the hits were home runs.  Stahl pitched 1.1 innings allowing 2 more runs on 1 hit and 3 BB.  Krueger and Litwicki also pitched in relief before Platt pitched 1.1 innings to finish out the game.   Platt gave up another run on 3 hits.  We scored our lone run in the 5th and we committed 2 errors in the game.   We faced 4 separate LSU pitchers and could only get 3 hits.

Hoosiers fall to 0-2 after a 7-4 loss to LSU earlier today.  Bierman started and pitched 5 innings and gave up 7 hits.  LSU scored 5 off Bierman but only 2 were earned.  Scott pitched the final 3 innings allowing 2 hits (both doubles) and 2 more LSU runs to score.  We banged out 10 hits but couldn't put them together to score more runs.  Dunham and Richardson both had 3 hit games.  Barr had a 2-run homer.  We committed 1 error.

Final game of the series just getting started.  Tucker on the mound.

Hoosiers win their first game of the season 7-2 as Braydon Tucker gets the win.  He pitched 6 solid innings only allowing 1 run on 4 hits and no BB throwing just 74 pitches to the 21 batters he faced.  Manous pitched 2 innings allowing 1 hit while striking out 4. McCade Brown came on in the 9th and closed the game out allowing 1 run on a solo home run.  We only had 6 hits, but Richardson had 4 RBIs with a double and 3-run homer.  

Next weekend we'll be at the South Alabama tournament for 3-games.

Well that went better then I thought, especially after looking awful Friday. 

I honestly thought we would get swept this weekend and would not of thought a thing of it or diminished my confidence. With that said we have some little things we need to clean up, but to get even one game on the road against a legit LSU team who will probably be hosting a regional will look fabulous on the resume. Remember in a similar situation last year we went to Tennessee and got swept so this is already an improvement to get a game in our big road SEC series. 

I am heading to Mobile next week to watch (have a Southwest credit that is about to expire and have to use it somehow) and warm up (low 60's sounds nice if the forecast holds) and excited to see what we have to offer. After this weekend nothing changes my mind that we are a regional team and upper Big Ten team despite losing all our pitching talent.

Based on early returns might want to flip the rotation and make Tucker the Friday guy who was fantastic today and Sommer the Sunday guy. Also happy to see McCade Brown find the strike zone in mop up duty tonight after walking pretty much everyone he faced last year.