Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

We Have TWO Open Schollys For Next Year?!?

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I still can't figure out what happened with him. He's an Indiana kid who wanted to play at IU. I never actually saw him play in high school, but have seen playoff games streamed and videos of his play (the videos, naturally, are edited to accentuate the positive). He had a nice shot and, I thought, would be a nice piece off the bench. I'm not sure if I ever saw him as a starter, but I figured he could play 20-25 minutes a game and maybe average 8-10 points. The main knock seemed to be that he needed to get stronger.

My question is this: Did he get too strong? Because now, he's a beast. He was on the air with Fischer during Archie's show one night and said that he tests out as the strongest guy on the team. Did all that weightlifting ruin his shot? In high school, he had some lift on his shots and drifted backward a little after his release. But at IU, he gets about 2 inches off the ground, goes straight up and .. clanks it. Maybe he's got a very fragile ego -- and like a lot of guys on this team, once things start to go wrong, they steamroll? A couple times earlier in the season, he came off the bench and knocked down a couple 3s here and there. But now, he couldn't throw the ball into the proverbial ocean. I think it was in the PSU game, he had an open 3 from beyond the top of the key. He totally bricked it. Didn't even hit the rim. It went to the left and was so hard and so long, that I thought it was gonna break the glass. Maybe his talents were overestimated in the first place -- and he's more of a mid-major caliber player? I don't know. His case is very puzzling to me, though. 

I have always thought he was a reach. I'm sure if he leaves he will probably play out of his mind. I just didn't think he was a Big Ten type player. 

Yeah, it’s been my feeling that Smith is absolutely going to go, someone is going to be really excited to get him as a grad transfer, and they will learn, as Archie has, the definition of “tease.”

Or he will go somewhere with a basketball coach that will know how to use him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

43 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Maybe he's thinking TJD enters the draft?

I swear I just read somewhere that TJD said he would be coming back to IU for his Sophomore yr, but now I can't find it. Anyone have that quote?

Edited by fwgreenway
Sorry didn't see OF post

3 minutes ago, fwgreenway said:

I swear I just read somewhere that TJD said he would be coming back to IU for his Sophomore yr, but now I can't find it. Anyone have that quote?

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/trayce-jackson-davis-returning-to-indiana-sophomore

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You can't use someone who believes their game is something it's not. I know for sure Archie tried this year to compromise some with him to play some outside but also be the slasher and inside scorer. Justin and his family have it in their mind that he is a ball-handler and spot-up shooter. He is one of the only players who went home this summer instead of staying here to work on his game. We should have let him go last year. 

Interesting — he’s a guy who *could* be that but isn’t now. He has strengths but right now he should be in a Troy Williams role with a bit less ball-handling, not a Robert Johnson one.

You can't use someone who believes their game is something it's not. I know for sure Archie tried this year to compromise some with him to play some outside but also be the slasher and inside scorer. Justin and his family have it in their mind that he is a ball-handler and spot-up shooter. He is one of the only players who went home this summer instead of staying here to work on his game. We should have let him go last year. 

He obviously knows he’s not a spot up shooter. He’s shooting 0.5 more a game this season but he’s also shooting 28% instead of 22%. He’s still shooting 7 shots a game from inside the arc and shooting a little better percentage than last season. Just watching games, he clearly understands what he’s better at. Problem for him is that the lane gets easily clogged because there is always someone posting up on both blocks. No room for him to slash and that’s setup by Archie. Y’all may want to hate on the kid but he’s probably has the highest IQ on and off the court on the team.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That's fine but if he's a problem he shouldn't keep playing him. Play Hunter, Anderson, or go small with Franklin. Shoot find a walk on. There isn't any point in playing him unless Archie feels he's the best option and he's coaching for his job. At that point then that could explain why he keeps playing certain guys. 

Just now, lillurk said:

Interesting — he’s a guy who *could* be that but isn’t now. He has strengths but right now he should be in a Troy Williams role with a bit less ball-handling, not a Robert Johnson one.

I hate to say it but IMO Troy shot it much better. Troy also hustled a little more. Gave better effort and didn't have near as many excuses as Justin has. Always someone else's fault

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

How does someone as smart as Justin Smith seems to be not realize that ballhandling and spot-up shooting are his two biggest weaknesses...

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He obviously knows he’s not a spot up shooter. He’s shooting 0.5 more a game this season but he’s also shooting 28% instead of 22%. He’s still shooting 7 shots a game from inside the arc and shooting a little better percentage than last season. Just watching games, he clearly understands what he’s better at. Problem for him is that the lane gets easily clogged because there is always someone posting up on both blocks. No room for him to slash and that’s setup by Archie. Y’all may want to hate on the kid but he’s probably has the highest IQ on and off the court on the team.

Totally agree the lane is too clogged. But I'm telling you he thinks he should be getting a lot more outside looks.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How does someone as smart as Justin Smith seems to be not realize that ballhandling and spot-up shooting are his two biggest weaknesses...

Because of his parents. 

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

That's fine but if he's a problem he shouldn't keep playing him. Play Hunter, Anderson, or go small with Franklin. Shoot find a walk on. There isn't any point in playing him unless Archie feels he's the best option and he's coaching for his job. At that point then that could explain why he keeps playing certain guys. 

Can't argue not playing him. I think that should have been done more. I'm never in favor of playing walk-ons unless your up a bunch or down a bunch. Their walk-ons for a reason. 

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Justin Smith has nowhere near the highest BB IQ on this team. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Easily the book-smartest player we have had in a long time. But when it comes to working on his game the effort is just not there. I hate using the L word but he is a little bit. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Can't argue not playing him. I think that should have been done more. I'm never in favor of playing walk-ons unless your up a bunch or down a bunch. Their walk-ons for a reason. 

True about the walk ons but other coaches have done it to send a message. I get Archies not in those other coaches situation right now but I'd be putting anyone out there that's going to play for the team and compete their rear end off. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

True about the walk ons but other coaches have done it to send a message. I get Archies not in those other coaches situation right now but I'd be putting anyone out there that's going to play for the team and compete their rear end off. 

Yes I see what your saying, send a message for a short time. I've known Cooper Bybee all his life. But I crack up when people say put him in. He couldn't guard a chair in high school, but now a few years later he's going to guard someone in the Big Ten. 

He would be about 18th in BB IQ. That's counting managers. #1 in academic IQ easily. 

I was so dumbfounded last year when he tried to put his shoe on underneath the goal during the middle of a defensive possession against Michigan