Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB @ Nebraska - 2/9/20 @ 3:00 ET

Someone mentioned to me that several of the ladies were sick with cold/flu symptoms.  Cannot speak for the validity but would help explain the running out of gas and being off-step.  I'm just happy to get a W lol.  @Class of '66 Old Fart, we about had to do the double negative thing and let @JerryYeagley23 start the next one!  

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think everybody knows that if we blow this, it'll pretty much be your fault! 

I try to refrain from posting comments like that in game threads, because if being an IU fan has taught me anything, no game is over until the clock shows all zeroes, the scoreboard shows us with a higher number, and the officials have left the field/court. 

But I actually have a bit of confidence in this team, and blowing a 20 point lead seemed unlikely. Glad we still managed to win. 

So, looking at the remaining schedule, it looks like 4th in conference is the most likely finish for us, which I think I’m okay with. It feels like Iowa @ Maryland on Thursday is the last truly significant swing game in the standings for the top four teams. I’ll be rooting for Iowa, because assuming the B1G tourney for the women is seeded the same as the men’s, I would much rather play a #1-seed Iowa after winning the 4/5 game against Rutgers or OSU, than have to take on Maryland again before the final. Honestly, Northwestern has the easiest schedule remaining, and should probably end up second in the conference behind the winner of Thursday’s Iowa/UM game. I think we will only lose one more game coming home, @Minny or @UM on their senior night more likely. Today’s win was big even if it wasn’t pretty, because it was a road game and likely locks us into the top four in conference. 

2 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

So, looking at the remaining schedule, it looks like 4th in conference is the most likely finish for us, which I think I’m okay with. It feels like Iowa @ Maryland on Thursday is the last truly significant swing game in the standings for the top four teams. I’ll be rooting for Iowa, because assuming the B1G tourney for the women is seeded the same as the men’s, I would much rather play a #1-seed Iowa after winning the 4/5 game against Rutgers or OSU, than have to take on Maryland again before the final. Honestly, Northwestern has the easiest schedule remaining, and should probably end up second in the conference behind the winner of Thursday’s Iowa/UM game. I think we will only lose one more game coming home, @Minny or @UM on their senior night more likely. Today’s win was big even if it wasn’t pretty, because it was a road game and likely locks us into the top four in conference. 

That is pretty much where I am at. This is our third win over a probable tourney team on the road in Big Ten play along with Rutgers and PU. There appears to be a gulf talent wise between Maryland and everyone else but also a similar gulf at the next tier between Iowa, Northwestern and IU and everyone else. Fortunately, the top 4 all get byes so if we are not going to win the conference whether we are the 2, 3 or 4 matters little. With that said if Maryland could end up on the opposite side of bracket that would be great as I do not see us beating them but think we have an even shot with Iowa and NW and a really good chance against anyone else. 

If we want a top 4 seed in NCAA tourney we probably need to win out then knock off one of those teams in the tourney Saturday and at least make Big Ten Championship. Otherwise we are probably a 5.

While this season is not quite what we expected early, it is nice to be firmly in and just working on improving our seeding and no matter what will have best seed in program history very likely whether we are a 4, 5 or 6. Hopefully if we get the 5 or the 6 and not the 4 we end up getting a 4 seed like DePaul or UK that are an easy drive rather then traveling far. 

Also while we need to stop blowing leads, it is an improvement to hold it this time (unlike against Iowa and NW) on the road against a probably tourney team. Nebraska is what IU has been in recent years past (a mid-pack bubble team), so its nice to move up a bit in the pecking order finally.

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

That is pretty much where I am at. This is our third win over a probable tourney team on the road in Big Ten play along with Rutgers and PU. There appears to be a gulf talent wise between Maryland and everyone else but also a similar gulf at the next tier between Iowa, Northwestern and IU and everyone else. Fortunately, the top 4 all get byes so if we are not going to win the conference whether we are the 2, 3 or 4 matters little. With that said if Maryland could end up on the opposite side of bracket that would be great as I do not see us beating them but think we have an even shot with Iowa and NW and a really good chance against anyone else. 

If we want a top 4 seed in NCAA tourney we probably need to win out then knock off one of those teams in the tourney Saturday and at least make Big Ten Championship. Otherwise we are probably a 5.

While this season is not quite what we expected early, it is nice to be firmly in and just working on improving our seeding and no matter what will have best seed in program history very likely whether we are a 4, 5 or 6. Hopefully if we get the 5 or the 6 and not the 4 we end up getting a 4 seed like DePaul or UK that are an easy drive rather then traveling far. 

Also while we need to stop blowing leads, it is an improvement to hold it this time unlike against Iowa and NW on the road against a probably tourney team. Nebraska is what IU has been in recent years past (a mid-pack bubble team), so its nice to move up a bit in the pecking order finally.

Agree on all fronts @Aaron  One comment as it relates to your point on the Ladies’ ability to hold onto the lead today: I didn’t get to watch the game today, but something stuck out to me looking over our box score. It seems like our lack of depth is really starting to affect our ability to close out games. Potentially the most immediate impact of the two transfers is showing up right now. We only played 7 players more than 10 minutes today, 9 saw any time at all. Nebraska played 12 players today, and 9 played more than 10 minutes. Love Ali and Grace’s motors, but they’re putting out a lot of effort for 37 minutes a game right now. I think we might be running out of gas in some of these late game struggles holding leads.

Now, I think we can compete with the lack of depth come time for the Big Dance, because you’ve basically got two games in three days, and then five days off; but getting through the grind of the B1G putting that many minutes on your starters is gonna have some effect and closing out games, especially on the road, might be a struggle for this squad right now.

In addition to the minutes played, it’s also worth noting that this was the Lady Hoosiers’ 4th game in 10 days. A tough stretch. They only have 3 games in the next 14 days, and a nice six-day break in between OSU and Minny; so some time to get their legs back for the home stretch heading into the B1G tourney. Just think right now we probably have some heavy legs which is resulting in some of the poor shooting and sloppy play in the second half of games.