Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Purdoodoo toiletmakers vs. THE Indiana Hoosiers (2/8 at 2:00 on ESPN)

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

While it's not ideal, I would of killed for the current system when I  was in school (and my friends from my era feel the exact same way), but it needs to be improved further still. You don't know how good you have it relative to a decade ago.   

One of the reasons why I don't think I ever attended a game as a student. It was atrocious.

This is going to be a very cool article (series of articles).

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/02/06/state-of-basketball-part-one-introduction/

I didn't want to start a completely different thread, and considering Indiana and Purdue hail from the Hoosier state, I decided to post it here in case others have not found this series yet.  It's still early in the series, but it's already looking like a very cool article(s).  I hope others enjoy its early promise as much as I have.

The second part of the article begins to show a bit more of what the series will be about. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/02/06/state-of-basketball-part-2-pleasantville-gym/

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Clearly you are to young to know how much worse it use to be.

When I was in school in late 2000's ALL your seats were pre-assigned, so people like me who showed up every game still got 2/3 of games in balcony, the same as someone who showed twice a year. This led to an awkward situation where balconies would be 2/3 to 3/4 full but you would have even more empty seats low down in K,L and M. Also students who show up late for games after they started.

The current system may not be perfect, but at least it rewards people who care and are willing to get there early with very few balcony games, while people who care less and get there late end up being higher up in balcony. It also at least FILLS the lower GA section by tip-off vs. before when everyone got there two media timeouts in.

While it's not ideal, I would of killed for the current system when I  was in school (and my friends from my era feel the exact same way), but it needs to be improved further still. You don't know how good you have it relative to a decade ago.   

See, I'm the opposite. I loved having assigned seats and hated having GA. With assigned seats I could get there 15-20 minutes ahead of time and go right to my seat. The GA line would get out of hand with people holding spots for their friends, so even if you got there hours ahead of time you might not get a good seat. A lot of students have evening classes, and assembly hall doesn't let you bring in backpacks, so when games had 7:00pm start times it would be a struggle to get there on time. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

See, I'm the opposite. I loved having assigned seats and hated having GA. With assigned seats I could get there 15-20 minutes ahead of time and go right to my seat. The GA line would get out of hand with people holding spots for their friends, so even if you got there hours ahead of time you might not get a good seat. A lot of students have evening classes, and assembly hall doesn't let you bring in backpacks, so when games had 7:00pm start times it would be a struggle to get there on time. 

Not to mention zero security outside and people jumping the fences as soon as the doors opened. GA was a sick joke when I was there (about 5 years ago now).

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Glad you enjoyed being in the balcony half the time or more. I'd rather have had the chance to get there early and get lower seats most of the time but each to their own and I respect your opinion. May be they need to have free lockers for backpacks or something. 

The current system is not ideal either and probably needs to be updated again but in my opinion its better then the old one. 

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Not to mention zero security outside and people jumping the fences as soon as the doors opened. GA was a sick joke when I was there (about 5 years ago now).

I'm sure there are negative aspects but at least for the non big games you are guaranteed a low seat when the balcony rarely gets anyone in it. I remember being so frustrated for early games being stuck in the balcony when seats were assigned despite having many seats down low and not being allowed to move down as ushers checked tickets carefully. It also meant a lot more empty seats low down for no reason.

I am not saying the current system is ideal and it may need to be revamped again but its 100 times better then when I was in school and seats were 100% assigned and you were stuck high for no reason.    

57 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Glad you enjoyed being in the balcony half the time or more. I'd rather have had the chance to get there early and get lower seats most of the time but each to their own and I respect your opinion. May be they need to have free lockers for backpacks or something. 

The current system is not ideal either and probably needs to be updated again but in my opinion its better then the old one. 

Honestly I don't remember being in the balcony all that often. It seemed like the majority of my seats were in the lower level. I remember getting 2 behind the basket, 2 GA, like 2-3 balcony, and the rest somewhere in the lower level. Then I think they changed it to the current system during my senior year.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Honestly I don't remember being in the balcony all that often. It seemed like the majority of my seats were in the lower level. I remember getting 2 behind the basket, 2 GA, like 2-3 balcony, and the rest somewhere in the lower level. Then I think they changed it to the current system during my senior year.

That was between the current system and the one they used when I was in school. When I was there there was no GA at all and a lot more balcony. Initially, the GA was only for the lower level but often times it would not fill hence why they expanded it to the balcony so the empty seats are in balcony rather then lower level for most part.

Like I said they could easily improve the current GA system. Have lockers for backpacks. Ensure no one is in line before a set time for GA and watching that more closely. No system is ideal but its better now then it was when I was in school despite the issues you described. 

23 hours ago, Aaron said:

Absolutely, especially in the East Main above GA from row 25-45 where you could easily sell those as season or individual tickets for a higher price. 

If it were up to me the court and lower GA would stay exactly the same as it is now with first come first serve via season tickets. However, rows 25-45 K, L, and M in East main which are now students would go as young alumni or regular season tickets as you said or individual seats and could be sold at normal price for twice as much ($20 for students $46 for non-students). East Balcony would continue as overflow GA. Anyone who buys season tickets and does not get in, would have their money refunded for that game ONLY if student section completely fills. This would ensure similar revenue with all the extra student seats now being sold at full price and the overflow. 

How you would handle the refund and ensure everyone made a legit attempt to get in, is everyone pays their $20 a game for the full season like now. You get a voucher for that game in your package for each game. Once you get there you, trade that in for a GA ticket while supplies last and fill the sections until when/if it is full. Once/if full, you would trade that voucher for a "refund ticket" with a unique number you would email IU with and request a refund back to your card for that game through your account and no other refunds issued. This ensures you made an attempt to show up and if you cannot provide that number in the email you would lose your money just as you do now if you fail to show up. 

This system would ensure seats are actually full and students who really care get in and in those who attempted to get in get their money back. It would also end most/if not all of the empty seats except games where student section does not fill.        

As a first step I would sell the West balcony student seats to the public as season tickets.  there are already a number of alumni up there in CC and DD.  Step two is to sell the East balcony off leaving the main for the kids.  I think one of the many reason kids don't come is that they are afraid they will end up in the balcony.  Self fulfilling prophecy gives you empty rows in GA main.  If they have a ticket that is ensured to be Main GA I think that section fills more often.

I like most of what Glass has done but he dug in on this "largest student section" claim and it isn't working except for big games.

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Years ago as young alumni with a small points balance yet we started in the balcony and frankly if you are in the center three sections it isn't that bad.  Typical "nosebleed" seats you have in any major arena.  We got used to them quickly.  Twentysomethings just getting started plus some older budget-minded folks will buy them up.

Edited by CS2
misspelling

22 minutes ago, CS2 said:

Years ago as young alumni with a small points balance yet we started in the balcony and frankly if you are in the center three sections it isn't that bad.  Typical "nosebleed" seats you have in any major arena.  We got used to them quickly.  Twentysomethings just getting started plus some older budget-minded folks will buy them up.

The “badness” of the balcony is incredibly overhyped. It’s not bad up there especially since they replaced the red bars with safety glass. Only bad part is getting up there, but the view is fine. 

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We're honoring the 1980 team tomorrow in front of Gene & the General. Can Archie do his best Bob Knight impression and have these guys ready to play. Isiah will be there also so hopefully he shares some wisdom with Rob. Maybe Woody can show Justin some moves, Kitchel or Wittman so someone how to hit a 15-foot jumper. Tolbert helps TJD get back on track. If there is one thing the whole board should agree on is POTFB. 

Is it confirmed that Knight will be there? Or as confirmed as possible with him? ... Instead of the 1980s guys showing the current players any specific basketball moves, I'd be happy if they spoke to them about playing with pride and heart and what it means (or used to mean, I guess) to wear those candy stripe pants and that red & white uniform. And whether you play for 40 minutes or 35 or 25 or 5, bust your a$$ when you're on the floor and give everything you have. Demand that of yourself and your teammates. Kitchell, Wittman, Isiah, Woodson, Tolbert, Turner & Co. settled for nothing less and neither should the current players. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Is it confirmed that Knight will be there? Or as confirmed as possible with him? ... Instead of the 1980s guys showing the current players any specific basketball moves, I'd be happy if they spoke to them about playing with pride and heart and what it means (or used to mean, I guess) to wear that red & white uniform. And whether you play for 40 minutes or 35 or 25 or 5, bust your a$$ when you're on the floor and give everything you have. Demand that of yourself and your teammates. Kitchell, Wittman, Isiah, Woodson, Tolbert, Turner & Co. settled for nothing less and neither should the current players. 

It was confirmed last time and he didn't show. But yes it has been again this time. There will be a halftime presentation for the 1980 team and Isiah is bringing Coach Knight as it was explained to me. Of course, he will be there with Pat & Gene has been confirmed also. Not confirmed in public but confirmed with IU that he will be there. 

Totally agree with your post also.