Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Purdoodoo toiletmakers vs. THE Indiana Hoosiers (2/8 at 2:00 on ESPN)

Purdue's string of good and bad performances have shown no rhyme nor reason all season long.  A 36 point win or 36 point loss today means nothing for this weekend.  They followed their 29 point win against Michigan State with a 7 point loss at Maryland and a 17 point home loss to Illinois and their 19 point win over Wisky was followed with a loss to Rutgers.

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Never liked Cardinal.  The blocks where he flopped are plays where guys get hurt.

BC was one of those guys that hometown fan loved because of the grit and effort but opposing fans hated for the same reasons.  My only gripe with the kid was the elbows he threw.  Today he would be a Flagrant 1/2 machine.

11 hours ago, Aaron said:

He said the MSU crowd was loud and into the game but their were empty seats in the student section (it was less than usual but still some empty).  

All of that is correct. As I said blame IU for how they distribute tickets for the empty seats. 

One of my beefs with Glass has been his resistance to sell some of the 8K student seats to waiting young alumni who would fill them.  There are too many games with an empty or near empty East balcony.  8K students is great for a big game but too many for the full season.  The new AD needs to sell 1.5 - 2K to alumni.

I know this is a huge absolute, but I truly believe Archie's ability to possibly have a successful tenure here rests on this game. Win it and you probably get just enough home games moving forward to make tourney and build some moment next year and in future.
Lose and I think another long slide starts and it leads to the beginning of the end of his tenure here whether it is at the end of this year or next. Much like the  Michigan game in Crean's last year was the beginning of his end and really turned everyone including the media on him, a no-show I think turns everyone against Archie once and for all. He has not beaten PU before and this is an incredible mediocre Boilermaker team that you MUST beat at home if you want to be the coach here beyond this year or next.
I totally agree and was thinking the same. It also will mean archie has not beaten purdue a single time and would bet my life we don't win at wacky so yep this game is monster

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, zsmithey4 said:

I am a student here and I highly disagree with this statement. I had to get there hours before tip off jus to make sure I was not in the balcony and when we looked up in the balcony close to tip off the student balcony section was completely full. There was not a single seat open in the student section that night and anyone that says that was not there and is making an uneducated guess. As students we work too hard to get good seats at these games to be talked about as a problem and it’s ridiculous considering what we’ve been through these last 4 years that people criticize us when we still continue to come to the games even though we haven’t had a bit of success since the 2015-16 season

Some do some don't. We didn't have GA when I was in school so that helps which helps with getting people there early. I went to every game as a student but not many did and I know other students currently who use them sporadically. 

The very top of the GA balcony above you had a few empties at the back but was pretty full. Also the opposite west balcony which is not GA had a good amount of empty seats and above you in row 25 and above which is not GA had scattered empties behind you.

As I said I don't blame the students. I blame the administration for the way tickets are distributed to maximize revenue and the incredibly mediocre play last few years. If the administration cut student tickets (or won more) and really rewarded people like you who actually show up you would not have empty seats like you do now. Also outside of big games there are a lot more empty seats and the balconies can be nearly empty.  

I thank you as a student for your support and wish more would show up outside of big games and a change in how tickets distributed would help the mass amount of empty seats. 

1 hour ago, CS2 said:

One of my beefs with Glass has been his resistance to sell some of the 8K student seats to waiting young alumni who would fill them.  There are too many games with an empty or near empty East balcony.  8K students is great for a big game but too many for the full season.  The new AD needs to sell 1.5 - 2K to alumni.

Absolutely, especially in the East Main above GA from row 25-45 where you could easily sell those as season or individual tickets for a higher price. 

If it were up to me the court and lower GA would stay exactly the same as it is now with first come first serve via season tickets. However, rows 25-45 K, L, and M in East main which are now students would go as young alumni or regular season tickets as you said or individual seats and could be sold at normal price for twice as much ($20 for students $46 for non-students). East Balcony would continue as overflow GA. Anyone who buys season tickets and does not get in, would have their money refunded for that game ONLY if student section completely fills. This would ensure similar revenue with all the extra student seats now being sold at full price and the overflow. 

How you would handle the refund and ensure everyone made a legit attempt to get in, is everyone pays their $20 a game for the full season like now. You get a voucher for that game in your package for each game. Once you get there you, trade that in for a GA ticket while supplies last and fill the sections until when/if it is full. Once/if full, you would trade that voucher for a "refund ticket" with a unique number you would email IU with and request a refund back to your card for that game through your account and no other refunds issued. This ensures you made an attempt to show up and if you cannot provide that number in the email you would lose your money just as you do now if you fail to show up. 

This system would ensure seats are actually full and students who really care get in and in those who attempted to get in get their money back. It would also end most/if not all of the empty seats except games where student section does not fill.        

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Absolutely, especially in the East Main above GA from row 25-45 where you could easily sell those as season or individual tickets for a higher price. 

If it were up to me the court and lower GA would stay exactly the same as it is now with first come first serve via season tickets. However, rows 25-45 K, L, and M in East main which are now students would go as young alumni or regular season tickets as you said or individual seats and could be sold at normal price for twice as much ($20 for students $46 for non-students). East Balcony would continue as overflow GA. Anyone who buys season tickets and does not get in, would have their money refunded for that game ONLY if student section completely fills. This would ensure similar revenue with all the extra student seats now being sold at full price and the overflow. 

How you would handle the refund and ensure everyone made a legit attempt to get in, is everyone pays their $20 a game for the full season like now. You get a voucher for that game in your package for each game. Once you get there you, trade that in for a GA ticket while supplies last and fill the sections until when/if it is full. Once/if full, you would trade that voucher for a "refund ticket" with a unique number you would email IU with and request a refund back to your card for that game through your account and no other refunds issued. This ensures you made an attempt to show up and if you cannot provide that number in the email you would lose your money just as you do now if you fail to show up. 

This system would ensure seats are actually full and students who really care get in and in those who attempted to get in get their money back. It would also end most/if not all of the empty seats except games where student section does not fill.        

This is a really interesting idea.  I do think we should ditch the pride of the "largest student section in the country" if students continue to be content with sitting at Kilroy's when they don't feel like making the walk in the cold.

I'm not sure turning people away at the door would work, but I do think it'd be smart to reduce to # of student tickets for games that aren't Purdue, MSU, big home matchup in B1G/ACC Challenge, etc.

Logistically possible? No idea. But it's embarrassing when Assembly Hall isn't even close to full for the Maryland game.

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Some do some don't. We didn't have GA when I was in school so that helps which helps with getting people there early. I went to every game as a student but not many did and I know other students currently who use them sporadically. 

The very top of the GA balcony above you had a few empties at the back but was pretty full. Also the opposite west balcony which is not GA had a good amount of empty seats and above you in row 25 and above which is not GA had scattered empties behind you.

As I said I don't blame the students. I blame the administration for the way tickets are distributed to maximize revenue and the incredibly mediocre play last few years. If the administration cut student tickets (or won more) and really rewarded people like you who actually show up you would not have empty seats like you do now. Also outside of big games there are a lot more empty seats and the balconies can be nearly empty.  

I thank you as a student for your support and wish more would show up outside of big games and a change in how tickets distributed would help the mass amount of empty seats. 

The GA system is awful. Some schools have students wait in line for tickets earlier in the day of a game or a few days before that way they can do whatever they want and then go to the game at a reasonable time rather than having to wait in line for hours just to make sure they don’t end up in the balcony. This is especially tough for weeknight games because some people aren’t able to get to the line early enough to get a decent seat because of class and they would rather watch on tv than sit in the balcony.

31 minutes ago, zsmithey4 said:

The GA system is awful. Some schools have students wait in line for tickets earlier in the day of a game or a few days before that way they can do whatever they want and then go to the game at a reasonable time rather than having to wait in line for hours just to make sure they don’t end up in the balcony. This is especially tough for weeknight games because some people aren’t able to get to the line early enough to get a decent seat because of class and they would rather watch on tv than sit in the balcony.

Clearly you are to young to know how much worse it use to be.

When I was in school in late 2000's ALL your seats were pre-assigned, so people like me who showed up every game still got 2/3 of games in balcony, the same as someone who showed twice a year. This led to an awkward situation where balconies would be 2/3 to 3/4 full but you would have even more empty seats low down in K,L and M. Also students who show up late for games after they started.

The current system may not be perfect, but at least it rewards people who care and are willing to get there early with very few balcony games, while people who care less and get there late end up being higher up in balcony. It also at least FILLS the lower GA section by tip-off vs. before when everyone got there two media timeouts in.

While it's not ideal, I would of killed for the current system when I  was in school (and my friends from my era feel the exact same way), but it needs to be improved further still. You don't know how good you have it relative to a decade ago.