Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

IUWBB vs Purdue 2/3 6 pm BTN

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yes, I realize there's a thread about this. But I was curious if anybody here had an answer. And if she wants to transfer, that's fine with me. I wish her the best. I'm just confused about the timing. Believe me, I've been on this board a while and know how to post. But thanks. 

No disrespect intended. It was said tongue in cheek. I know I’m relatively new as a contributor. I guess my take on that is she made her public statement that seemed pretty sincere and she said in the interview that it was primarily due to a family member whose health had deteriorated. All we can do is take her for her word on it and assume that’s all there is to it unless something else comes out. The timing to me kind of supports that it just really may be a family thing and there was some immediacy to the decision because of her family members condition. But I don’t know anymore than the next guy. 

We survived an incursion into hostile territory and came away with a 66-54 win.  And in the process we retain control of the Barn Burner Trophy.  Our fourth consecutive win for this trophy.

A rocky 3rd Q but we were able to re-group and come back with a strong 4th Q.   

Reb.  Patberg 9; Wise 7; Gulbe & Penn 4 each.             Patberg 7 assists.

We were not one of the top 16 seeds in the big reveal tonight. Got some work to do ... 

Maryland was No. 8

Iowa was No. 15

Northwestern was No. 16

Man, those losses to Iowa and N'Western are looking pretty costly right now. 

Greenville: 1. South Carolina, 7. NC State, No. 11 UCLA, No. 15 Iowa 

Dallas: 2. Baylor, 6. Stanford, 12. Gonzaga, 13. Arizona 

Portland: 4. Oregon, 8. Maryland, 10. Mississippi State, 14. DePaul 

Fort Wayne: 3. Louisville, 5. UConn, 9. Oregon State, 16. Northwestern 

Thats the team we saw early in the year.

Took control early and other then a PU run late in the third quarter which we responded to, got a really important road win against a tournament team for the second time in conference play. If the team from earlier in the year that showed up tonight really is back, the sky is once again the limit.

Have one more really tough game against Maryland at home on Thursday, then a fairly tough road game against a Nebraska team who is similar to PU. After that the schedule really lightens up to close the season with a road game at Illinois who is worse team in the Big Ten by far, then a home game against a mediocre Ohio St. team, a road game against a bad Minnesota team, senior day against Nebraska which should be a win at home before closing it out at a decent but not great Michigan team. If the team that showed up tonight really is back and we can get one of the next two, baring a collapse we really shouldn't lose more than one down the stretch. This puts us in great position for at least a top four seed and double bye in Big Ten Tourney as well as a top 4 seed and home court in NCAA Tourney.

I said after Wisconsin that either that win was a lesson and saved the season or it was a warning sign of a collapse. If tonight is any indication appears we took the former path which would be really good. PU is not what they once were (due to their refusal to get rid of Versyp who is a mediocre coach), but they are still solid and we have owned this series recently after never being able to beat them for a long time.

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

We were not one of the top 16 seeds in the big reveal tonight. Got some work to do ... 

Maryland was No. 8

Iowa was No. 15

Northwestern was No. 16

Man, those losses to Iowa and N'Western are looking pretty costly right now. 

Greenville: 1. South Carolina, 7. NC State, No. 11 UCLA, No. 15 Iowa 

Dallas: 2. Baylor, 6. Stanford, 12. Gonzaga, 13. Arizona 

Portland: 4. Oregon, 8. Maryland, 10. Mississippi State, 14. DePaul 

Fort Wayne: 3. Louisville, 5. UConn, 9. Oregon State, 16. Northwestern 

We might be after tonight or at least very close. We were certainly on the 5 line (17-20) before tonight and this win helps a lot.

That NW loss though could be the difference between a Big Ten title and a top 4 seed in tourney though and I knew it at the time.  A win over Maryland Thursday would be wonders towards getting us there. 

I’ll get my thoughts out there quickly, because my wife has started noticing a newfound attention to my phone and I’m hearing about it at home:

-Patberg. Girl is tough as nails. If her teammates haven’t nicknamed her floor burn yet, they should. She has a certain “Tommy Coverdale-ness” to her game that I love. 
-Grace Berger had it going early and was really a key to not only building that lead, but then keeping it as well. Had a heady and1 and then a great drop pass to Gulbe for a layup a possession later that kept Purdue from ever getting it to danger territory. Admittedly, my prediction came up a little short on the 20pts and 60% shooting. But I’ll take 15 on 50% all day. 
-Great win against a tourney team on the road. Hostile environment. Good for confidence. 
-GREAT clock management to kill this game off in the 4th. They had several times where they smartly pulled it out instead of going to the hoop. Killed almost the entire shot clock on every possession starting at about the 7 minutes to go mark, but still executed and got a good shot or drew a foul. And excellent free throw shooting. 
-One thing I think they need if they’re gonna beat a really good Maryland team Thursday, is better production from Holmes and Gulbe. The Terps are a lot more athletic in the front court, and we’re gonna need better production out of the post to avoid scoring droughts that could let Maryland go on a run we can’t recover from. 

Really great win. I’ll second what @TheWatShot said, and say I’m really enjoying watching this women’s team this year with the men’s team being what I was brought up on, but being seriously difficult to watch at times this year. Very glad I’ve taken the time to give this team my attention, because it’s exciting stuff and really fun to watch. Now let’s go get the Terps and put ourselves in position to win this conference title!