Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

IUWBB vs Purdue 2/3 6 pm BTN

Against my better judgement (after the last game thread I started), I present...

Barn Burner Trophy Game Set For Monday Night On Big Ten Network

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Barn Burner Trophy is up for grabs on Monday night when No. 20 Indiana travels to Purdue. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network at Mackey Arena.

NO. 20/23 INDIANA (17-5, 7-3 B1G) AT PURDUE (15-7, 6-4 B1G)
Monday, February 3, 2020 • 6 p.m. ET
Mackey Arena • West Lafayette, Ind.  
Broadcast: BTN (Chris Vosters, Vera Jones)
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

­­­ABOUT THE COACHES
Indiana Purdue
Teri Moren Sharon Versyp
Career Record: 319-120 (17th Season) Career Record: 408-234 (20th Season)
Indiana Record: 120-71 (6th Season) Purdue Record: 291-169 (14th Season)

ABOUT THE BOILERMAKERS
Purdue will look to keep its three-game win streak alive, coming off a win at Michigan State on Thursday night. Junior guard Karissa McLaughlin leads the way with 13.5 points per game and shoots 34 percent from 3-point range. Reigning Big Ten Player of the Week Ae'Rianna Harris adds 13.2 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. They average 65.5 points per game while shooting 43 percent from the floor.

SERIES HISTORY
Purdue leads 55-34

LAST MEETING
1/9/20 – W, 66-48 (Bloomington, Ind.)

NOTES
  • Indiana looks for the series sweep of the Boilermakers on Monday night. It would be the second time in three seasons IU has swept the season series as it won both regular season meetings in 2017-18 along with a third round WNIT game at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. They are also looking to keep a hold of the series annual trophy, the Barn Burner Trophy, for the third-straight season.
  • In the previous meeting this season, Indiana defeated Purdue, 66-48, at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg led with a game-high 18 points while sophomore forward Aleksa Gulbe added 10 points in the win.
  • The Hoosiers are coming off a gutsy 75-65 overtime win over Wisconsin on Thursday night. Junior guard Jaelynn Penn's corner 3-pointer tied the game at 61-all as IU overcame a 16-point deficit and outscored the Badgers 14-4 in overtime. Patberg led with way with 20 points in the win.
  • Patberg along with sophomore guard Grace Berger are both pacing Indiana with a team-high 13.5 points per game this season. Freshman forward Mackenzie Holmes (12.2 ppg.) and junior guard Jaelynn Penn (10.1 ppg.) are also both in double figure averages.
  • They also come in to the game having faced the 12th toughest schedule in NCAA Division I action this season and are No. 13 in the latest NCAA RPI.

UP NEXT
IU will return home to face No. 17 Maryland on Thursday night. Tipoff on Big Ten Network is set for 8 p.m. ET.

Think we are gonna come out fired up in this rivalry game. Feels like the team got a bit of a wake up call last week after maybe feeling some insecurity about how good they can be after the three game skid. Rattled their cage. Found a way to win as good teams do. Got some unexpected news that a few members of the family are leaving. Gotta believe the ones that remain in the locker room have sat down and looked at each other and said, “this is it guys. We are all that we’ve got, and the people in this locker room are the ones who believe in this thing and want to be here, and are all united towards common goals.” Sometimes adversity can be alarming as a fan, but unifying for a locker room. I think this team knows the opportunity they have, and understand that if they want to achieve the goals they have for themselves, it has to start now, and it has to be all or nothing from everybody that’s a part of it. Bold prediction: Grace Berger doesn’t go 0-10 from the field. In fact, bolder prediction: she scores 20+ on 60%+ from the field shooting. You know it’s been eating at her the way she shot the ball against Wiscy. And if she’s the true shooter I think she is, she’s itching for this game to start so she can get that taste out of her mouth. Big game. Sets us up for a showdown Thursday with the Terps. I think this team makes a statement tonight on the road against a tough Purdue team who will be up to the task as you’d expect with a rivalry game. Go get ‘em girls!

At halftime of the UConn - Oregon (approx. 7:00) the NCAA selection committee will reveal its top 16 teams through this point of the season.   Charlie Creme of ESPN makes his predictions.  Spoiler alert:  Hoosier #4 in Dallas.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28623858/who-top-16-seeds-women-basketball-right-now

Really do not like this officiating crew. The two female refs have called it very hard against IU in the past, especially against Allen

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Really do not like this officiating crew. The two female refs have called it very hard against IU in the past, especially against Allen

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They also watched Berger get slapped on the arm loud enough to hear on TV and called nothing. 

That first half was the best they have looked since early in the Iowa game against a quality opponent. Got off to a good start finally, played tough D in the post and Berger found her shot again.

Now the trick is to bring this home and put ourselves back in contention in the Big Ten and for a top 4 tourney seed which this would do. Game is not over and we need another half like that but finally they were fun to watch again for first time in a few games and played well.

Halftime Hoosiers leading 34-21.         

We avoided our SOP of slow starts and have controlled the game virtually from the outset.   Have held PU to 29% FG and we’ve controlled the backboards with a 20-13 advantage.  We’ve also taken a little better care of the ball with just 8 TOs.

Points:  Patberg 9; Berger 10; Wise 5; Penn 6.     48% FG for the team.

Reb.  Patberg 6; Holmes 4                  Gulbe and Warthen each with 2 fouls.

NOTE:  Yeagley predicted Berger would get 20 on 60% shooting.  She’s halfway there with 10 pts. On 5-9 FG.

Just need to be sure we come out just as focused to start the 3rd Q and not let the PUkers begin to think they have a chance.

Great first half on the road! Took the crowd out of it early. Defense has been locked in. THAT’S how a top 20 team should look. Gonna have to take their punch which the refs will undoubtedly let them have in the form of a mini-run in the third quarter, bend but don’t break, and close ‘em out. 

P.S. I’m not gonna say I called it on Berger coming out hot, but.... Amirite??

I'm still curious about Yeaney's transfer. She played two full years and six games this season. She can't still apply for a redshirt, can she? So this year is lost? Unless she has a dramatic reason for leaving right now -- I saw someone write something somewhere about a sick relative -- or is totally miserable, why not finish the season? 

Or can she be considered a midseason transfer and get half this year back? 

Otherwise, I still don't get the timing ... 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Otherwise, I still don't get the timing ... 

You're not alone.  I suppose there's a chance the NCAA would grant her a waiver since she was coming off an injury but unless a) the ill relative is seriously ill or b) she's really miserable at IU, the timing makes no sense to me either.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You're not alone.  I suppose there's a chance the NCAA would grant her a waiver since she was coming off an injury but unless a) the ill relative is seriously ill or b) she's really miserable at IU, the timing makes no sense to me either.

Game thread ladies and gents. There’s a whole thread about this. As my niece would say, “Let it go, let it gooo...”

;)

Just now, JerryYeagley23 said:

Game thread ladies and gents. There’s a whole thread about this. As my niece would say, “Let it go, let it gooo...”

;)

Yes, I realize there's a thread about this. But I was curious if anybody here had an answer. And if she wants to transfer, that's fine with me. I wish her the best. I'm just confused about the timing. Believe me, I've been on this board a while and know how to post. But thanks. 

I opened the stats tab at halftime to see the first-half numbers. I left it open and the score was getting updated a couple seconds before the action on TV. ... And I'm watching the game on TV, not on a stream -- didn't realize the feed was that far behind!