Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
JerryYeagley23

Women's College Basketball General Thread

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

South Carolina took UConn to the woodshed tonight -- 70-52. It's their first win over the Genos. 

Noblesville's Ty Harris led the way with 19 points. 

I guess since we beat South Carolina by 14 and they beat UConn by 18, we'd be a 32-point favorite over the Huskies. LOL! 

That win will likely stand as the single best win on any tournament team’s resume by season’s end. Neutral court, double digit win, only loss of the season. Man I want to see that IU team come out a couple more times this year. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

UConn has been drubbed a couple times this year. Is their stranglehold on women's basketball finally starting to weaken? 

Ha. Not sure I’m ready to go there yet. Granted, it’s weird seeing UCONN lose by double digits at all; but their only three losses are to South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon. The #1, #2 and #3 teams in the country respectively. Certainly starting to see some more much-needed parity in the women’s game for sure. Next year might be when we will have a better idea if your questioning UCONN’s dominance has legs. They graduate 5 seniors this year of an 11-player roster. That’s some significant turnover and even though Arriema undoubtedly will bring in a class, UCONN has perennially had senior-led teams usually with one senior being marginally better than almost every player in the country. 

All that said, certainly don’t want to see them in our region anywhere before the sweet 16. 

Good lord. Maryland beating Iowa by 40 in the 3rd quarter! They are just head and shoulders better than everyone in the conference. We would need a miracle to get to 2nd I’m the conference standings based on Iowa having 3 of 4 left at home against fluff. So it’s looking like IU will see Maryland again if we hold at the 4 seed. 

Pretty clear at this point in the season that there’s three tiers of teams in the B1G. Top 4, Bottom 3, and the middle pack. Rutgers losing at MSU was only game not chalk tonight. They’ve lost 3 of their last 4 and still have to play Iowa and NW yet. Maryland locked up the B1G crown tonight. 

Also, #9 Louisville with an impressive win at #4 NC State. 

Lot of action in the B1G today. Huge momentum games for IU and OSU. With the Lady Hoosiers dropping that game at home to OSU, they need the win at Minny today pretty badly. OSU plays at Rutgers, who has been really good at home. Both IU and OSU are 10-5 in conference. An IU win and and OSU loss today more than likely locks us into the 4-seed in the conference tourney. Double bye and one winnable game before having to face Maryland in the semis. 

So I was looking at the projections for the women's tournament. Currently a 5 seed, and if I'm reading this right, we'd potentially have to play Gonzaga on its homecourt in the second round. That would kind of suck. 

Also, Purdue is a classic case of a program still living off a championship legacy 20 years after the fact. Safely in as a 10 seed with an overall record of 18-14. Finished 9th in the Big Ten, went 8-10 in conference, with five of those wins coming against the bottom three teams, haven't beaten a ranked opponent all year, yet they aren't even on the bubble. Someone is getting hosed. I guarantee we don't sniff the tourney with that kind of resumé. 

4 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

So I was looking at the projections for the women's tournament. Currently a 5 seed, and if I'm reading this right, we'd potentially have to play Gonzaga on its homecourt in the second round. That would kind of suck. 

Also, Purdue is a classic case of a program still living off a championship legacy 20 years after the fact. Safely in as a 10 seed with an overall record of 18-14. Finished 9th in the Big Ten, went 8-10 in conference, with five of those wins coming against the bottom three teams, haven't beaten a ranked opponent all year, yet they aren't even on the bubble. Someone is getting hosed. I guarantee we don't sniff the tourney with that kind of resumé. 

I wonder what effect the virus-related stuff will have on seedlings if at all. We might sneak into hosting a couple games of places like Spokane are in high-risk areas where even traveling to the city could be considered a threat to the teams visiting for the tourney. 

This would seem to be a little unexpected.

Kierstan Bell (6-1 FR guard, Canton, OH) has announced that she's placing her name into the transfer portal out of Ohio State, where she was the #2 scorer (10.9 PPG) and #3 rebounder (4.4 RPG) in 2019-20; was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team; ranked #8 in the 2019 class.

20 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This would seem to be a little unexpected.

Kierstan Bell (6-1 FR guard, Canton, OH) has announced that she's placing her name into the transfer portal out of Ohio State, where she was the #2 scorer (10.9 PPG) and #3 rebounder (4.4 RPG) in 2019-20; was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team; ranked #8 in the 2019 class.

I saw where, she, crooms, and satterfield all got in BIG trouble before a game and up to this game, crooms and bell were starting and satterfield was playing 10-20 mpg

After this game where they were all forced to sit, crooms and bell never got back into the starting lineup the rest of the year. And satterfield barely left the bench. Crooms earned back some playing time, bell got a little more than the other two, but this incident definitely was a major turning point in the season.

Satterfield left before the season was over and to me, bell leaving wasnt much of a surprise either.

They had so many good recruits in their freshman class, mcguff just gave the ones not causing problems the playing time (madison greene 4*, jacy sheldon 5*) 

and 5* ricki harris from north central took a redshirt

He also has another 5* kid coming in kateri poole, so it seems he will probably be okay losing potentially a great player in k bell that was causing chemistry problems in the team

I thought Shakira Austin leaving Maryland was quite the surprise, however. 

Some interesting available transfers:

Rokia Doumbia G (ark) SO

Lauren Hansen G (aub) FR

Robyn Benton G (aub) SO

Erin Howard F (aub) SO

Ellie Mack F (bucknell) GR

Kyra Lambert G (duke) GR

Ariel Johnson G (fla) SO

Iho Lopez F (fsu) GR?

Nicole Cardaño Hilary PG (gmu) GR?

Petra Holesinska G (il) GR

Keyen Green F (lib) GR

Shakira Austin F (terps) SO

Olivia Owens C (terps) SO

Destiny Pitts G (min) JR

Jayla Alexander G (ole miss) FR

Deja Cage G (ole miss) JR

Dominique Banks F (ole miss) JR

Kiersten Bell G (osu) FR

Aixa Wone F (osu) FR

Loretta kakala F (pacific) JR

Lauren Ebo F (psu) JR

Maori Davenport F (rutgers) FR

Tiana England PG (st johns) GR?

Dijonai Carrington W (stanford) GR

Dara Mabrey PG (VT) SO

Niya Beverly PG (wisc) JR

Courtney Frederickson F (wisc) GR

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

I thought Shakira Austin leaving Maryland was quite the surprise, however. 

Some interesting available transfers:

Rokia Doumbia G (ark) SO

Lauren Hansen G (aub) FR

Robyn Benton G (aub) SO

Erin Howard F (aub) SO

Ellie Mack F (bucknell) GR

Kyra Lambert G (duke) GR

Ariel Johnson G (fla) SO

Iho Lopez F (fsu) GR?

Nicole Cardaño Hilary PG (gmu) GR?

Petra Holesinska G (il) GR

Keyen Green F (lib) GR

Shakira Austin F (terps) SO

Olivia Owens C (terps) SO

Destiny Pitts G (min) JR

Jayla Alexander G (ole miss) FR

Deja Cage G (ole miss) JR

Dominique Banks F (ole miss) JR

Kiersten Bell G (osu) FR

Aixa Wone F (osu) FR

Loretta kakala F (pacific) JR

Lauren Ebo F (psu) JR

Maori Davenport F (rutgers) FR

Tiana England PG (st johns) GR?

Dijonai Carrington W (stanford) GR

Dara Mabrey PG (VT) SO

Niya Beverly PG (wisc) JR

Courtney Frederickson F (wisc) GR

Moren, get to work. It would seem we need two off of this list right?

36 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Moren, get to work. It would seem we need two off of this list right?

We arent desperate for anything but picking up one or two would be a big plus since we have nobody in this upcoming class

The transfer portal has a lot of kids in it this year, I wonder why so many kids are transferring this year compared to other years. but The NCAA is having a vote to let one time transfers play right away which I think will be get passed so this year of college basketball is going to be very interesting if the vote goes through.