Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Indiana Hoosiers vs Ohio St. Buckeyes - 12pm ET Tip-off

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because I got the excuses out of the way. Didn’t need to be said.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

But nobody made those excuses after PSU and everyone seems to be on the same page today, so wouldn’t you say that’s unnecessary?

“It’s Archie” is too convenient for me to buy. Is it partially him? Of course. Everything isn’t him though. No offense to the “kids” who play on this team, but we have really bad guards. None of them are any good. They just aren’t. Green has the most talent and fire but it comes with emotionality (bad kind) and lack of team concepts. Part of that I do believe is that his teammates are so bad and he can’t accept (for better or worse) a team concept when everyone around him is inept. 

Rob and Durham are pretty poor guards. Sure they’ll have a good game once every 2-3 weeks but when you have the ball in your hands all the time, that’s bound to happen. Rob is herky jerky and has zero leadership, confidence, etc...Durham has confidence but no one thinks he is worth listening to on the floor. He doesn’t exude respect because he isn’t very good. Franklin is far superior physically and talent wise, and he knows it. That’s the problem. Our upperclassmen aren’t good enough or confident enough to lead any freshmen. The coach can only do so much. Archie needs to somehow recruit better. That will solve a lot. 

The vast majority of teams don’t have the players to be good. I’m sure lots of those programs have fine coaches. It isn’t that KU has a coach that is 50x better than 95% of the other schools in the country, it’s because KU (just as an example) gets 3-4 players every year that are just better than 95% of the other programs. 

A lot of programs get 1 or even 2 great players every year or every other year. To be consistently good in D1 you need 2-3 highly talented recruits per year. IU most years gets only 1: TJD, Blackmon, Vonleh, Romeo. That ain’t enough. 

TJD, Race, Hunter, Franklin, Brunk are a solid core. Everyone else is just not very good at what they are supposed to do. TJD may not be here much longer but I digress. IU gonna keep being bad to mediocre until Archie can convince 1-2 talented/tough guards to come to IU every year. If that doesn’t happen, IU will forever be like this. It happened under Crean. How many good guards did he have in 9 years? Oladipo and Yogi...that’s really it..and we know how Crean fared...

I want a superior magical coach too, but great players make coaches look great most of the time. It’s a snowball effect. If Coach K started suddenly getting 3-4 star players only, he would abruptly stop having 30 win seasons.

just my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

These last few games are the most inept, awful display of basketball I’ve seen in a long time. 

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

A long time.....Did  you mean to say since last year?

39 minutes ago, Adillac said:

“It’s Archie” is too convenient for me to buy. Is it partially him? Of course. Everything isn’t him though. No offense to the “kids” who play on this team, but we have really bad guards. None of them are any good. They just aren’t. Green has the most talent and fire but it comes with emotionality (bad kind) and lack of team concepts. Part of that I do believe is that his teammates are so bad and he can’t accept (for better or worse) a team concept when everyone around him is inept. 

Rob and Durham are pretty poor guards. Sure they’ll have a good game once every 2-3 weeks but when you have the ball in your hands all the time, that’s bound to happen. Rob is herky jerky and has zero leadership, confidence, etc...Durham has confidence but no one thinks he is worth listening to on the floor. He doesn’t exude respect because he isn’t very good. Franklin is far superior physically and talent wise, and he knows it. That’s the problem. Our upperclassmen aren’t good enough or confident enough to lead any freshmen. The coach can only do so much. Archie needs to somehow recruit better. That will solve a lot. 

The vast majority of teams don’t have the players to be good. I’m sure lots of those programs have fine coaches. It isn’t that KU has a coach that is 50x better than 95% of the other schools in the country, it’s because KU (just as an example) gets 3-4 players every year that are just better than 95% of the other programs. 

A lot of programs get 1 or even 2 great players every year or every other year. To be consistently good in D1 you need 2-3 highly talented recruits per year. IU most years gets only 1: TJD, Blackmon, Vonleh, Romeo. That ain’t enough. 

TJD, Race, Hunter, Franklin, Brunk are a solid core. Everyone else is just not very good at what they are supposed to do. TJD may not be here much longer but I digress. IU gonna keep being bad to mediocre until Archie can convince 1-2 talented/tough guards to come to IU every year. If that doesn’t happen, IU will forever be like this. It happened under Crean. How many good guards did he have in 9 years? Oladipo and Yogi...that’s really it..and we know how Crean fared...

I want a superior magical coach too, but great players make coaches look great most of the time. It’s a snowball effect. If Coach K started suddenly getting 3-4 star players only, he would abruptly stop having 30 win seasons.

just my opinion. 

Most reasonable and well-put post I’ve read in weeks. I concur. 

40 minutes ago, Adillac said:

just my opinion. 

Archie is responsible for the roster construction he’s responsible if there’s no good guards. 

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because I got the excuses out of the way. Didn’t need to be said.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You're shampoo.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  

Don't be shampoo.  There's nothing worse than being unoriginal.  Bring something new.

I'm still holding on that I'm fairly pleased with the actual Archie players at this point in the season (TJD, Franklin, Hunter) then (Phinisee, Race) and (Brunk). The only hangup is Rob gets very discouraged or timid and Brunk has had two difficult games which does not yet takeaway how good he has been, in my opinion.

The next group is not actually an Archie recruitment. He had to talk Smith and Al into staying. It was too late to go snag new players when these guys obviously expressed they could be talked into staying. It doesn't hurt that they are serviceable, and hopeful with improvement. Then same with Devonte and Davis. Devonte oozing talent but now we know he can't be reigned in.

Given this, I'm willing to give Archie next year before I really pack it in. TJD is going to explode. Rob looks to be gaining a shot back. Hunter is blossoming now. Al buys in, and plays hard, not a leader. Brunk another year. Franklin adjusted to speed of college game. Then let's see how the new freshman shake out. Devonte isn't out there disrupting offense AND defense anymore. I'm not saying we will be great. Buts it's a tourney team.