Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan31

Bendu yeaney transferring - Again

Odd timing -- there's still much of the season to be played. Has she left the team? She played 14 minutes at Maryland, but hasn't played since. For the season, she'd been playing 12.5 minutes a game. Did Moren & Co. decide to shut her down the rest of the way? Again, the timing seems strange. Wonder why she didn't wait till the end of the season to announce this? 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Odd timing -- there's still much of the season to be played. Has she left the team? She played 14 minutes at Maryland, but hasn't played since. For the season, she'd been playing 12.5 minutes a game. Did Moren & Co. decide to shut her down the rest of the way? Again, the timing seems strange. Wonder why she didn't wait till the end of the season to announce this? 

I saw on another forum where teri morens SO (traci gorman) was on there saying bendu wasnt ever going to be the "old bendu" which makes me think the staff lost a little faith in her abilities after this injury. She needs a fresh start imo..she wasnt going to get her starting spot back anytime soon and I think she may have felt like wasting another year of her eligibility not playing consistently this season was not what she wanted. 

PAC12 teams already following her, lol

She's played in six games this season. For some reason, I thought it was more. ... Does that mean she can get this season back? Or half of it? Maybe if she transfers now, she'll have a 1 1/2 years of eligibility remaining? ... Not sure of the exact rules, but if she won't have more than a year remaining, what's the point in announcing this now? 

I don’t really understand this one at all. She’s part of a top 25 team, one that gave her a full year of support getting her rehabbed, and plugged her into a very good lineup and started giving her minutes even though she’s still finding her basketball legs again and was clearly not the same player yet. With no significant recruits coming in next year, it’s not like she’d be falling well down the bench. She would have as good a chance as anywhere else to earn starting minutes and contend for a conference title and a run in the tourney. Just doesn’t make a lot of sense. It also isn’t like when a player transfers so they can go to a team where they will get their name in lights to bolster their draft status, because she doesn’t seem like a WNBA candidate. Head scratcher.  

I’ll say this though, Moren had better be hitting the grad transfer market HARD this offseason. We have the potential to be a top 10 team next year with everyone returning and Danielle being eligible; but we are gonna need some depth. And for the sake of the positive momentum of the program, we need a big year in 2020 and some big recruits for 2021 when we’ll lose some serious talent. Mackenzie Holmes and Jorie Allen are a good foundation, but will need to replace Patberg, Berger and Gulbe with some good young talent for them to play with as upper class(wo)men. Coaching staff will need to earn their money to keep from missing out on this historic time for the program and falling back to the bottom of the pack. 

27 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Game misconduct penalty on Yeagley for expressing confusion over his own post.  :92:

I meant it to express my confusion about the transfer. I’m just getting started around here as a poster, so still learning the ropes. :) 

I read a bit more about this in an article and now realize that Bendu has a family member in deteriorating health, so I’m more understanding to that situation. But hearing about our heir apparent to Ali Patberg, Shaila Beeler, transferring has me still perplexed. I wish we had someone with inside knowledge of the women’s program like we have for the guys; because I’m wondering if the recent losing streak and struggles against lessor teams are a part of something that has been festering internally similar to how the men’s team let things spiral out of control last year. Because it doesn’t all add up. Best team in program history. Star PG gets granted a 6th year of eligibility. Big time transfer will be eligible next year. Attendance is up and interest (I’m an example) is at an all-time high. Yet, zero recruits signed for next year, while several in-state recruits went elsewhere. Team starts playing with less effort to start games and a hits 3-game losing streak followed by underwhelming play at home against the bottom of the conference. The best recruit in this year’s class (was #18 nationally) leaves mid-conference play. Seems like there may be more than meets the eye somewhere in the team or coaching staff right??

Maybe I jinxed them. As soon as I become a loyal follower, things go to hell. I mean, my first semester at IU Bobby Knight WAS fired and 20 years of mediocrity ensued. Maybe I should stay away. 

22 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I meant it to express my confusion about the transfer. I’m just getting started around here as a poster, so still learning the ropes. :) 

Maybe I jinxed them. As soon as I become a loyal follower, things go to hell. I mean, my first semester at IU Bobby Knight WAS fired and 20 years of mediocrity ensued. Maybe I should stay away. 

Even though you seem to be a hex, jinx, curse, black cat, broken mirror, etc., we'll let you hang out with us as long as you keep up the good posts.  :107:

I heard that she wasn’t supported as much through her rehab process as it seems. And I think that Teri does have a good program but there’s something going on with this coaching staff because they have had a lot of players leave (excluding  the ones who have graduated) since they have been here. For example The whole class of 2016  is gone. I think there’s something behind the scenes that is making players not want to stay in a program that is on the rise. 

Edited by Basketballhead24

13 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I don’t really understand this one at all. She’s part of a top 25 team, one that gave her a full year of support getting her rehabbed, and plugged her into a very good lineup and started giving her minutes even though she’s still finding her basketball legs again and was clearly not the same player yet. With no significant recruits coming in next year, it’s not like she’d be falling well down the bench. She would have as good a chance as anywhere else to earn starting minutes and contend for a conference title and a run in the tourney. Just doesn’t make a lot of sense. It also isn’t like when a player transfers so they can go to a team where they will get their name in lights to bolster their draft status, because she doesn’t seem like a WNBA candidate. Head scratcher.  

I’ll say this though, Moren had better be hitting the grad transfer market HARD this offseason. We have the potential to be a top 10 team next year with everyone returning and Danielle being eligible; but we are gonna need some depth. And for the sake of the positive momentum of the program, we need a big year in 2020 and some big recruits for 2021 when we’ll lose some serious talent. Mackenzie Holmes and Jorie Allen are a good foundation, but will need to replace Patberg, Berger and Gulbe with some good young talent for them to play with as upper class(wo)men. Coaching staff will need to earn their money to keep from missing out on this historic time for the program and falling back to the bottom of the pack. 

I’m very sad about this because I’ve been watching since high school but I hate to say it, but this will be the best decision for her. We have to remember who she is. IU wasn’t her best offer coming out of high school. She was a top recruit with higher level programs wanting her. She’s a high level scorer. She never got the opportunities to show who she is because they give players roles and except them to do just that.  But when Ali was out for those 3 games, we saw a different Bendu. she took responsibility of the team and lead them and multiple categories including scoring for those games. So she capable. I just think IU might of not been the fit for her all together because she a type of player doesn’t produce well in a half court plays driven team. She’s a player that excels with fast tempo up and down. That also needs to have the ball in her hands more. If you look at some of the close games that we’ve played in her first two years she has been one of the stars that shines in late game scenarios. She takes and hits clutch shots. She has WNBA potential because of the fact she is a double threat with playmaking and defensive abilities. WNBA scouts don’t just look at who scores the most they need versatile players. Sad to say it but that’s why Tyra Buss wasn’t a good fit for the WNBA. But Bendu’s performance in the NCAA tournament against Texas dominating on defense and scoring 17 points while shooting good from the field and in the first half against Oregon. Put her name on noticed throughout the NCAA. So don’t be surprised if she has top programs who are ranked in the top 10, trying to get her because she’s a player when in the right system will be hard to stop. 

I’m very sad about this because I’ve been watching since high school but I hate to say it, but this will be the best decision for her. We have to remember who she is. IU wasn’t her best offer coming out of high school. She was a top recruit with higher level programs wanting her. She’s a high level scorer. She never got the opportunities to show who she is because they give players roles and except them to do just that.  But when Ali was out for those 3 games, we saw a different Bendu. she took responsibility of the team and lead them and multiple categories including scoring for those games. So she capable. I just think IU might of not been the fit for her all together because she a type of player doesn’t produce well in a half court plays driven team. She’s a player that excels with fast tempo up and down. That also needs to have the ball in her hands more. If you look at some of the close games that we’ve played in her first two years she has been one of the stars that shines in late game scenarios. She takes and hits clutch shots. She has WNBA potential because of the fact she is a double threat with playmaking and defensive abilities. WNBA scouts don’t just look at who scores the most they need versatile players. Sad to say it but that’s why Tyra Buss wasn’t a good fit for the WNBA. But Bendu’s performance in the NCAA tournament against Texas dominating on defense and scoring 17 points while shooting good from the field and in the first half against Oregon. Put her name on noticed throughout the NCAA. So don’t be surprised if she has top programs who are ranked in the top 10, trying to get her because she’s a player when in the right system will be hard to stop. 

Great post! Keep ‘em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Basketballhead24 said:

I heard that she wasn’t supported as much through her rehab process as it seems. And I think that Teri does have a good program but there’s something going on with this coaching staff because they have had a lot of players leave (excluding  the ones who have graduated) since they have been here. For example The whole class of 2016  is gone. I think there’s something behind the scenes that is making players not want to stay in a program that is on the rise. 

Thanks for posting this. Many users seem to think this forum is only for pumping sunshine and you can be ridiculed for saying anything otherwise

21 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Berger is only a sophomore and graduates in 2022. Otherwise agree with your sentiment.

Thanks for posting this. Many users seem to think this forum is only for pumping sunshine and you can be ridiculed for saying anything otherwise

Some get tired of vendettas and unsubstantiated claims

11 hours ago, mamasa said:

Some get tired of vendettas and unsubstantiated claims

What's really funny to me is how much accurate information I've posted on here over the years..but there are things that a lot of you dont want to believe..and when I say those things some of you get a little more upset than you should. Acting like it's totally normal to lose an entire recruiting class to transfer..or to have 2 players quit the team.......... in january.

I'm all about positivity and I like how they are playing this year

but

I'm not going to ignore one of my favorite players getting rushed back from a serious injury that leads to a possible wasted year of her eligibility and ends with her quitting the team at a strange point in the season. But keep making jabs at me without tagging me @mamasa

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

What's really funny to me is how much accurate information I've posted on here over the years..but there are things that a lot of you dont want to believe..and when I say those things some of you get a little more upset than you should. Acting like it's totally normal to lose an entire recruiting class to transfer..or to have 2 players quit the team.......... in january.

but

I'm not going to ignore one of my favorite players getting rushed back from a serious injury that leads to a possible wasted year of her eligibility and ends with her quitting the team at a strange point in the season. But keep making jabs at me without tagging me @mamasa

He.......quoted your post....?

edit: @Hoosierfan31

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

but

100% agree it’s very strange and I think there’s a bigger reason than just wanting to get closer to the west coast. She is my favorite and my daughters as while. We have been watching her since highschool and from what I’ve seen out of her she’s not one to quit on anyone. She took her high school from one of the worst teams in Oregon to one of the top. So I just don’t see her giving up on the team. I really do wish her well wherever she goes. I’ve heard her high school coach say that she’s been in communication with Baylor which is ranked #2 right now and Oregon state who is ranked #10 and a bunch of other ranked teams. So it shows she is a high level players that IU just lost. 

1 minute ago, Basketballhead24 said:

100% agree it’s very strange and I think there’s a bigger reason than just wanting to get closer to the west coast. She is my favorite and my daughters as while. We have been watching her since highschool and from what I’ve seen out of her she’s not one to quit on anyone. She took her high school from one of the worst teams in Oregon to one of the top. So I just don’t see her giving up on the team. I really do wish her well wherever she goes. I’ve heard her high school coach say that she’s been in communication with Baylor which is ranked #2 right now and Oregon state who is ranked #10 and a bunch of other ranked teams. So it shows she is a high level players that IU just lost. 

Not sure who wrote the article, but there was an expanded quote from Bendu that said she actually has a family member who had a health condition that had deteriorated. Not saying there isn’t anything else going on, but to make that public, I think that was the driving force behind this transfer, not necessarily an issue with the staff.