Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Penn St 1/29 8:30 pm BTN

NOTES: #iubb Visits No. 24/23 Penn State on Wednesday Night

Story Links

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will begin a two-game roadtrip Wednesday at #24/23 Penn State.   IU is coming off a 77-76 loss to #17 Maryland on Sunday, while PSU played last Wednesday where they won at Michigan, 72-63.   Last year, IU won in the Bryce Jordan Center, 64-62.  According to ESPN's BPI, the Hoosiers are projected to have the toughest strength of schedule in the country for the remainder of the season.  

GAME INFORMATION
Wednesday, Jan. 29 •  8:30 p.m. ET
Bryce Jordan Center (15,261) • University Park, Pa.
TV: BTN (Kevin Kugler and Seth Davis) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network  (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr,  Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: Indiana leads, 39-11
Last Meeting: IU 64, at PSU 62 - 12/4/18

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson.  He is 189-99 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton.  His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.  He is 50-36 at IU.  Pat Chambers is in his 9th season at PSU and is 141-145.  

NEWS & NOTES
Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is averaging a team-best 14.1 points and 8.0 rebounds.  Among freshmen nationally, he is 3rd in field goal percentage (61.6%), 4th in free throws made (79), blocked shots (36), and in free throws attempted (114) and 9th in rebounds (159).  He is 8th in the Big Ten in rebounding, 3rd in field goal percentage and 8th in blocked shots. He had 13 points and 8 boards against Maryland.

Among players in the Big Ten who have come off the bench 10 or more times this season, senior Devonte Green leads the conference averaging 11.7 points in those games.  He had 16 points and 5 boards against Maryland.  Junior Justin Smith is averaging 11.6 points leads the Hoosiers with 24 steals. He was named IU's Male Scholar Athlete of the Month in January.  He is in the Kelley School of Business studying Entrepreneurship & Corporate Innovation.  Redshirt junior forward Joey Brunk is averaging 10.6 points in his last 5 games.  In 9 league games, he is 6th in FG% making 55.6% of his shots. Junior Aljami Durham is averaging 10.2 points and hit the go-ahead 3FG with under 2 minutes to play against MSU.   Sophomore Rob Phinisee had 10 points and 7 assists against the Terrapins.  He is shooting 38.1% from long distance in the last 5 games.  The Hoosiers have been getting significant help off the bench from freshmen Armaan Franklin and Jerome Hunter as of late.  In the last 3 games, Franklin has averaged 6.3 points and made 4 3-pointers.  Hunter, who tied his career-high with 12 points against Maryland, is averaging 6.7 points and has hit 5 triples in that same time frame.

ODDS AND TRENDS
The Hoosiers are shooting 49.7% from the floor in the last 3 games.  IU is 4th in the nation in free throws attempted per game (26.0).  The 22 assists against Maryland were a season-high and the 6 turnovers in that game, were a season low.  IU matched its season-high in 3FGM with 9 against the Terrapins. In league play, IU is 2nd in the conference in rebound margin (+7.0). they are 12th in the nation in overall rebound margin (+8.5).  IU has the best defensive rebounding pct. in the league hauling in 77% of opponent misses.

Really need a split this week. Hope to see some fight on the road in both games and be in each of them until the end with a chance to win.

However, the BIG didn't do IU any favors with this schedule as IU is in the midst of a 4 game in 9 day stretch. Each of those 4 opponents has essentially had a week off to prepare for IU. Oh well, no excuses. Get it done boys. 

GO HOOSIERS. 

This match-up is so interesting in that we have owned PSU like no other Big Ten team since beginning of the Zeller Era (11 of 13 wins and only one loss in Bryce Jordan in that time). However, games have been close and this is a far better PSU team then any we have seen recently. 

Every once in a while PSU bubbles up for a year with a really good senior and they have done that now with Lamar Stevens, Mike Watkins and of course Curtis Jones. Don't think they can sustain this moving forward with only Myreon Jones and Myles Dread as the guards and no proven big men going forward, but for this year they are a handful and for once would represent a good win rather then avoiding a bad loss.    

53 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maryland game Sunday reminded me of that penn St game at home a couple years ago where we gave the game away in the last 3:36

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That PSU game was 10 times worse. We had a 10 second call, a 5 second call, and at least two other turnovers against their press. We ended the game with two timeouts. Crean basically acted like there was nothing he could have done afterward. 

Remember the OT (I believe) game where JBJ hit a game winning 3 then we fell off the face of the earth?

How about the 3OT game at home where I left Assembly Hall right before the end of regulation ticked off because I thought it was over and ended up having to listen to the rest on my way home and finished watching the final OT at home. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Remember the OT (I believe) game where JBJ hit a game winning 3 then we fell off the face of the earth?

I think we had kinda already fallen off the face of the Earth before that game. That was the year we got up to No. 3, then lost to Fort Wayne, then beat UNC, then sorta started to slide ... I think we were something like 13-5 when we got to Penn State. If memory serves, that's also the game we lost OG. I still remember watching and it was the weirdest thing. He dunked and when he came down, didn't appear to land awkwardly, but collapsed in pain. Ended up tearing his ACL, had surgery, and after the season,  went to the NBA ... And also after the season, CTC was fired. 

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

How about the 3OT game at home where I left Assembly Hall right before the end of regulation ticked off because I thought it was over and ended up having to listen to the rest on my way home and finished watching the final OT at home. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was there with my son... it was his first game.... and thank goodness we didn't leave early... he talks about that game all the time...

I am ok with a repeat tonight!

Yeah, I’d be perfectly happy with an OT, or 3, game if we win. I think we’ll see some early foul trouble in this one along with our inability to contain Stevens. I’d put Smith on him but they have completely different attitudes that might result in Smith being taken out of the game. PSU is a team that will get into “dumb” basketball mode and struggle to get out of it. If we can get them playing our game we have a chance.

I felt like the team turned a corner in the Maryland game. They hit big shot after big shot in the first half to stay somewhat attached and clawed their way back into it. The result wasn’t what we wanted but they seemed to have matured in that game. If they play like that I think we come out on top in this one.

Purdue had a game on BTN after our 3OT game with PSU and their fans ended up missing the entire first half because our game wouldn't end. Good times...

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen tonight between Northwestern and MSU. I don’t think BTN has an alternate channel to turn to if it goes OT. Could be wrong though....

GO HOOSIERS!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Game is probably going to be really close. Can’t remember a recent game between these 2 where a team has won by more then a couple of points it seems

Not since the Zeller era have we blown them out. Otherwise every game has indeed been close since but we have won six of those eight games including several on the road.