Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Ball State Transfer C Payton Sparks to INDIANA

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

At the risk of derailing this thread...I'm curious why Archie is interested in this kid, but has avoided Luke Brown like the plague. Sparks seems like a fine young player, but Winchester is a 2A school that plays a weaker schedule than Blackford. 

Must project him to keep developing. More than Brown. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

At the risk of derailing this thread...I'm curious why Archie is interested in this kid, but has avoided Luke Brown like the plague. Sparks seems like a fine young player, but Winchester is a 2A school that plays a weaker schedule than Blackford. 

Size can be the only reason

24 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Would think that he looks at Sparks’ body and his feet and thinks he has a chance to play on the block and defend in the Big Ten. I am quite sure when he looks at Brown’s athleticism and his feet he thinks the kid has no chance create space for himself or defend on the perimeter in the Big Ten. 

At what point do we decide Archie ain’t got an eye for what it takes to win at the highest level?

His recruits haven’t been very impressive, except TJD. Romeo wasn’t even but that seems to be multilayered.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

At what point do we decide Archie ain’t got an eye for what it takes to win at the highest level?

His recruits haven’t been very impressive, except TJD. Romeo wasn’t even but that seems to be multilayered.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I differ about Romeo but wanted to additionally point out that IU got in too late with Aaron Henry, as we know, and didn’t offer Eric Hunter. Who knows how those play out if IU behaves differently — or how they develop — but it sure feels like both could help at areas of need.

I differ about Romeo but wanted to additionally point out that IU got in too late with Aaron Henry, as we know, and didn’t offer Eric Hunter. Who knows how those play out if IU behaves differently — or how they develop — but it sure feels like both could help at areas of need.

This is just false, Henry would have been a Hoosier if damezi didn’t commit first.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierRobbie said:

This is just false, Henry would have been a Hoosier if damezi didn’t commit first.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This...doesn’t contradict anything I wrote. I was being humble; I don’t know that but you or others might. And my point is a strong eval might’ve led to an offer earlier.

Look at Paytons stats. Each year his numbers are vastly improved along with his body and skill set. To me this indicates he is still improving. Sometimes you find players top off early and dont perform to their expectations but with Payton he is still improving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, scoot said:

Look at Paytons stats. Each year his numbers are vastly improved along with his body and skill set. To me this indicates he is still improving. Sometimes you find players top off early and dont perform to their expectations but with Payton he is still improving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

definitely still improving

On 1/28/2020 at 2:10 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

For those familiar with this kid and the Winchester program can you give us an evaluation of his high school coach and his ability to move this kid's development?

What I got back from folks in Randolph county I know was a mixed bag ...all said He’s a fairly good guy ( paraphrasing ) and is a good rah-rah type but the common knock was a question of the “ X’s and O’s” ability ....this was specifically brought up in regards to sparks feeling that he is under utilized or that not enough has been done to tailor the offense to the obvious strength or push him to be more aggressive ....For perspective I would say the individuals I spoke to are avid basketball fans but I don’t beliebe any of them had any coaching experience above the junior high level 

On 1/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, Crimson and Cream said:

Glad we’re getting our foot in the door, he definitely seems like he has the potential to grow into something special. But right now he’s definitely a project and it’s best to keep in touch but see how he does playing against better competition in the summer and improving his game before offering.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I absolutely love the approach of looking for under-recruited talent and I love even more the idea of putting a “foot in the door “ ....it’s a low cost high reward scenario in the event the kid gets in better shape and grows anymore ...why WOULDNT you want to have a line to him in case he develops more ?!  I am in the camp that doesn’t think he can be a big 10 post player but that doesn’t mean he won’t grow or get better so why write him off ? Same way I feel with brown ...

On 2/1/2020 at 3:32 PM, TheWatShot said:

Love this post because I’m in the same school of thought for both players ...there is zero cost to putting a foot in the door and keeping tabs ...if they don’t develop then you don’t offer ...if they do grow or develop more you’ll be glad you had a line in the water.  I think the difference is sparks has what you can’t teach or make up with hard work and that’s size.  I have seen both more than 5 times ( brown almost every game ) and I personally feel brown is closer to being a power 6 player BUT browns deficiencies can’t be made up for at least through his own control ...if sparks got a persona trainer and a more aggressive mindset he could make a MAJOR jump where as brown is already maximizing his potential and he’s at the mercy of nature 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Demo said:

Would think that he looks at Sparks’ body and his feet and thinks he has a chance to play on the block and defend in the Big Ten. I am quite sure when he looks at Brown’s athleticism and his feet he thinks the kid has no chance create space for himself or defend on the perimeter in the Big Ten. 

Create ...no ...he would have no issue ....defend yes that would be a problem in Archie’s system that would require special planning to offset (brown )......sparks I’ve watched at least once each season and sometimes more ...he has made strides but right now he couldn’t get up and down The floor for more than 5 minutes at a time with an Indiana Wesleyan ....if they kid gets more aggressive and really works on his conditioning he has potential ...very soft touch for his size and he showed me some improved quickness with his footwork this year I was impressed with 

Winchester 14-6) defeated Northeastern (16-5) 69-62 winning its first Tri-Eastern Conference title since 2011.  The 6'9" Sparks struggled early on. The conference's leading scorer entering Friday night (22.9 points per game) was held to just one field goal in the first half as the Knights led by two points at halftime.  But he figured things out at halftime and finished with a team high 19 pts.  In addition to being the conference leader in ppg, he's also the leader in rebounds and blocked shots.

Sparks named to the first team RadioTroy.com All-Area Basketball Team.  I'm never too impressed with these types of very  localized all-star/all-area etc. teams, but his season stats were included.

Peyton Sparks, Winchester, 22.4ppg, 58%fg, 12.2rpg, 2.0bpg, 1.6spg