Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

chicagoHOOSIER

Player Development Thread

13 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

We finally saw some decent contributions from Race and now he is injured again

Yeah that hurt.  That was a nice effort, and he was getting results.  I hope to see him come out and pick up where he left off when he can get back on the court again.  Hopefully that happens soon.  I guess he is out for the Penn State on the road game?

TJD has benefited from IU’s player development this year. The jump he has made from high school to now has been impressive. The work he put in the over summer at IU has payed dividends

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah I remember your comments from last year about how hard he played in HS being a concern. He seems to really be improving here. I am hoping he stays and can add an outside shot this summer.

Franklin is another one that could get lost in the mix or really put in the time and make a big jump.

We do seem to have more success with kids improving more in their first year under this staff than subsequent years. Smith might be the exception.

Awesome thread.  In my opinion the three discussed only one (Race) we really can talk about development.  The other two haven't really played enough for me to get a gauge on development.  I typically like to look at the following year to gauge development.    

I've already expressed my concerns with a lot of the players that have been here from the start of CAM's reign.  I thought I would have already seen some solid contributions and development.  But then again, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm just some dude on the internet trying to be an armchair QB to a situation I really don't know that much about.   

I will say the potential for Jerome Hunter is through the roof!  I really hope he continues to grow and avoid injuries during the way.  That dude could be something special for us beloved Hoosiers fans.

Race Thompson's performance last night against Iowa was a delight to watch.  He had that grit and did the small things that translated into complete contribution to the team.  He needs to stay healthy.  

Obviously me not watching is the key to Race having a good game. I don’t miss many but have missed all of his or like last night most of the game in which he plays great.

14 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Race Thompson's performance last night against Iowa was a delight to watch.  He had that grit and did the small things that translated into complete contribution to the team.  He needs to stay healthy.  

Yeah he played with a lot of desire, fight, and toughness, and gave the team a nice spark when he was on the floor, and he made his shots go in, so he got to keep playing.  2 of his last 3 games now he has made significant contributions.  I like his motor.  We need him to continue getting better, and making a mark when his number is called again.  It is such a great feeling to see a guy like Race come into a game, and you want to see him improve and make a meaningful contribution, and then he does.  We need him to continue, and give this team some fight and some energy when he comes in.

There's also Sophomore Slump. Maybe that's what Rob Phinisee is experiencing--at least with turnovers. Also, expectations for him were unrealistic. He was only ranked in the 120 range coming out of high school yet some fans seemed to think he was destined to be another Yogi Farrell. He may be just an average point guard for this level.

55 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There's also Sophomore Slump. Maybe that's what Rob Phinisee is experiencing--at least with turnovers. Also, expectations for him were unrealistic. He was only ranked in the 120 range coming out of high school yet some fans seemed to think he was destined to be another Yogi Farrell. He may be just an average point guard for this level.

Looks like we are actively recruiting to get better at this position. Rob is average at this level.

Looks like we are actively recruiting to get better at this position. Rob is average at this level.

Average with a strong work ethic could still lead to a dominant player as an upperclassman. Now does he have the drive to work hard on his own? Can he stay healthy enough to put in that time. Not sure

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Average with a strong work ethic could still lead to a dominant player as an upperclassman. Now does he have the drive to work hard on his own? Can he stay healthy enough to put in that time. Not sure

He doesnt  have the skill set to be a dominate PG in this league. He is average. Certainly cant go manufacture baskets late in the shot clock like youd expect with a dominate PG. We all(myself included) blew him up to be something he just isnt.

He doesnt  have the skill set to be a dominate PG in this league. He is average. Certainly cant go manufacture baskets late in the shot clock like youd expect with a dominate PG. We all(myself included) blew him up to be something he just isnt.

Gotta have a killer instinct. Winston, Yogi, Burke etc. they all had it.