Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Maryland at IU Game Thread 01/26 1 PM CBS

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

No, it's about basketball.  Turning into a 'general leadership' statement, IMO, is the real generic internet tough guy talk.

All coaches at this level know basketball. It’s about leadership and team building.  

Side note to brass cannon:  IMO, I would say we have one game left that IMO is equivalent to playing at Nebraska, and that would be at home against Minnesota.....maybe even at home against Michigan, depending how they are playing at that point.  The Nebraska game we were 6 point favorites on the road and I would have bet against us.  I can see Minnesota in Bloomington being a similar line.

15 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

I’ll respond one last time. Some of you think you know more about basketball than you do. You really think you would have all the answers if you were in the hot seat. I’m guessing most of you would simply piss yourself and look confused. 78 out ...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I know what all of us would do: Miss the tournament the last 3 years. If some things aren't figured out micro and macro in the next 6 weeks, Archie's joining that long list.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Side note to brass cannon:  IMO, I would say we have one game left that IMO is equivalent to playing at Nebraska, and that would be at home against Minnesota.....maybe even at home against Michigan, depending how they are playing at that point.  The Nebraska game we were 6 point favorites on the road and I would have bet against us.  I can see Minnesota in Bloomington being a similar line.

We don’t play Michigan at home.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

All coaches at this level know basketball. It’s about leadership and team building.  

Read comments on any of our game threads and see if you come away with the opinion that there aren't a significant number of posters on here that think Miller knows very little about basketball.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Read comments on any of our game threads and see if you come away with the opinion that there aren't a significant number of posters on here that think Miller knows very little about basketball.

And they would be wrong. And I’ll admit in anger I have said it. But his failures to prevent playground Devonte from hurting this team year after year speak to leadership issue. 

Ok. I’ve never been accused of internet tough talk. Wow. What a **** day. My point is people come on here like they have all the answers. Most people don’t.... I could sit and point out every mistake and criticize the coach and the players and it kinda gets old. I’m not saying some of the criticisms aren’t valid. I should really just take a break...

Again its not that people are complaining about how we lost. I get that. What I don't understand and will never understand is many of those same posters who seem to only post after a loss do not or rarely post after a win.
How many of those people would have posted had the collapse not happened or made multiple posts had the collapse not happened.
Why can't they be happy when they win and acknowledge the win and praise players when they play well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe they don't need a medium for venting because they are satisfied?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

With smith stumbling at the end was there any TJD could of got close enough to dunk that last shot. Thoughts. I haven’t rewatched the game yet

Haven't rewatched either but feel like he was too far away and his momentum was carrying him away from the rim a bit

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And they would be wrong. And I’ll admit in anger I have said it. But his failures to prevent playground Devonte from hurting this team year after year speak to leadership issue. 

Help me understand why any coach can prevent any action on the floor.   Except not playing a kid.   DeVonte got benched the other day because he wasn't playing well.  He was better today, poor only in decision making on occasion, but he didn't earn "the DeVonte Green Experience" for no reason.   

He is a complete enigma and this team will definitely benefit from his departure, but without another true primary ballhandler outside of Phinisee, he has to play.  I've been coaching 22 years, and if you can tell me how to "prevent" kids from doing what they're wired to do, let me know.  That is very easily said.....and it's a cop out.  Archie's job (and that of all coaches) is something very different from building robots.  You can limit it....and you can teach it.  But you can't prevent it because players are human.  The ones who aren't are in the hall of fame.  Green ain't going to any hall of fame.

Were you equally critical of Mike Holmgren for not preventing Brett Favre from throwing interceptions?  Green is maddening.  I think he's a dumb player.  But Archie didn't recruit him...he just has to play the hand he was dealt.   His failure....   What a joke.   And you wonder why your motives are called into question???

42 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Help me understand why any coach can prevent any action on the floor.   Except not playing a kid.   DeVonte got benched the other day because he wasn't playing well.  He was better today, poor only in decision making on occasion, but he didn't earn "the DeVonte Green Experience" for no reason.   

He is a complete enigma and this team will definitely benefit from his departure, but without another true primary ballhandler outside of Phinisee, he has to play.  I've been coaching 22 years, and if you can tell me how to "prevent" kids from doing what they're wired to do, let me know.  That is very easily said.....and it's a cop out.  Archie's job (and that of all coaches) is something very different from building robots.  You can limit it....and you can teach it.  But you can't prevent it because players are human.  The ones who aren't are in the hall of fame.  Green ain't going to any hall of fame.

Were you equally critical of Mike Holmgren for not preventing Brett Favre from throwing interceptions?  Green is maddening.  I think he's a dumb player.  But Archie didn't recruit him...he just has to play the hand he was dealt.   His failure....   What a joke.   And you wonder why your motives are called into question???

Bingo.  And what I’ll never understand is the opinion I’ve seen expressed here that despite our lack of outside shooting that Franklin should play huge minutes and Green should “never be on the court”.  Usually these posters who say to play young players who aren’t as ready to “build for the future” would also firs Milled at the end of the season if they don’t make the tourney.

The reason Green plays has a lot to do with the options.  If you can find a guy on our team that does the good things DeVonte does without the bad, then I’m all for playing him.  RP could be that guy but he’s shown to be someone who is oft injured and hasn’t shown the ability to play beyond 28 minutes or so per game at most

Just make the tournament. I don't care how it happens, we just need to do it. 

I understand this sentiment but I while i hope we make it I don’t want to limp into the tournament. If we only win 4 more games this year and as many believe that gets us in we will be doing so with a lot more losses down the stretch.

If we play well in every game and lose close maybe it is not a big deal to just get in as we might have learned some toughness. But if we barely get in and get bounced early that would be disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

With smith stumbling at the end was there any TJD could of got close enough to dunk that last shot. Thoughts. I haven’t rewatched the game yet

I watched the last play again and it seems improbable Trayce could have dunked it because of the distance from the rim along with the fact he was leaning to his left to get around Smith which lowered his body too much.  He was outside the restricted area, and in order to get around the defender he had to lower his body to get around Smith on the left...and by doing so, even with TJD's hops, it seems unlikely.

It was more that Smith had not yet stumbled before TJD made the decision to use his right pivot foot to get around Smith with his left foot, and by doing so it placed him at a point he had to go up with the shot from where he was...which was too far from the basket with an awkward launching point to reach the rim.

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I guess I would never compare Green to Favre. Favre won GB way more games than he lost them, so you were willing to put up with a few INT's. Green, on the other hand, is part of a class that has never made it to the Tournament.

What I saw yesterday was an offense that totally stalled down the stretch with Green directing it. They went from cutting to just standing around. Obviously, there are 4 other players out there, but if Green is just standing in one spot dribbling the ball, there isn't going to be a lot of movement. Maybe that was the plan, I don't know. I always feel like if you get 5 good minutes from Green, it's time to get him out because you're living on borrowed time. He plays hero ball, always wanting to make the Sports Center play, but he's rarely good enough to be the hero.

I agree that CAM didn't recruit him, but he is hardly powerless to merely play the hand he was dealt. He's had plenty of time to develop Green or shuffle the deck and get new cards.

Is it just me but if Hunter and Phinisee can keep improving on being more consistent shooters, we might be able to make noise.
But Hunter made a bad pass, so we just ignore the fact he helped build our lead and only talk about that poor decision.(sarcasm)

But Hunter made a bad pass, so we just ignore the fact he helped build our lead and only talk about that poor decision.(sarcasm)

It was his best game as a Hoosier he also had his most costly mistake as a Hoosier. He was not the reason for the loss. No one single shot, pass, TO or defensive lapse was the reason. It was the collection of plays which is always the case in both wins and losses. His mistake happened at a critical juncture which is why it'll be magnified and that's just the nature of the business.