Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Maryland at IU Game Thread 01/26 1 PM CBS

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Could you go and tell Purdue and Iowa that games at Nebraska are gimmes?

I'm also willing to guess that if you were going to bet money and the number of wins remaining for IU was put at 4, you wouldn't put money on the under.

I don’t really gamble. But honestly I look at our schedule and don’t feel comfortable about predicting a single road win?   Even if we get one I think we are just as likely to cough up another home game. 

im honestly going to peg us at 3-5 more wins. This prediction will change if at any point Archie stops playing junk lineups and we start playing focused basketball for 40 minutes. 

3 of our 5 wins have come against Nebraska and Northwestern. You took offense to the term gimmes but we don’t have any games that easy the rest of the way. The rest of our schedule looks much more like our 4 losses than our 5 wins. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So we should be okay we things because others do it? Bad mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I am convinced at this point that you are worth responding to....so this may the last time.

Mindset has nothing.to.do.with.anything.  Saying that something is a 'gimmee game' indicates that it's a level of game that would be a shock to lose.  Quite amazing that in five games, there have been two 'shocking losses'.....one by 14 points.

The whole 'bad mindset' or 'acceptance of losses' that you (and Josh) have posted about is just meaningless drivel.....and is any thing that anyone has ever said.  Know what I accept?  Reality.  

So are you going to only accept a result which sees us lose zero games?  I mean, sounds like a bad mindset to me and one that accepts losing.

Pretty much.  I don’t say what I say lightly though 
We looked like crap. So I had concerns. And yeah we are slightly better this year. But guess what the Big Ten is better.

Were past our three gimme games.  We are 2-4 in our non gimme games. We have to play more consistent against the non dregs of the conference. Our current level of play translates to 3 or 4 more wins. Pretty thin margin there. 

I see a minimum of 5 or 6

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we need a baseline. I propose we start with this question: who believes they could do a better job coaching the IU men’s basketball team this year? Let’s start here:

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just now, Ranger78 said:

I think we need a baseline. I propose we start with this question: who believes they could do a better job coaching the IU men’s basketball team this year? Let’s start here:

Logical fallacy

2 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

You can do better than that ... logical fallacy. Lol. Were you a cannon guy in the US military?

Lol you post a bs false argument and you think you can make it good by egging me on. 

None of us could have done better than Crean. Guess he was good enough after all by that logic. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t really gamble. But honestly I look at our schedule and don’t feel comfortable about predicting a single road win?   Even if we get one I think we are just as likely to cough up another home game. 

im honestly going to peg us at 3-5 more wins. This prediction will change if at any point Archie stops playing junk lineups and we start playing focused basketball for 40 minutes. 

3 of our 5 wins have come against Nebraska and Northwestern. You took offense to the term gimmes but we don’t have any games that easy the rest of the way. The rest of our schedule looks much more like our 4 losses than our 5 wins. 

Predicting individual games is a sucker's bet, which is why you are probably wise to not gamble.  Vegas makes money for a reason.

It's why when you look at our games and say you 'don't feel comfortable about predicting a single road win', you aren't looking at it correctly.  The correction assessment isn't about looking at each individual game, but the aggregate.   You aren't going to win every game you are favored and you aren't going to lose every game you are an underdog.  

The odds are overwhelmingly that we WILL win at least more road game.....just like they are overwhelming that we will lose one at home.  Yet we are likely going to be favored in every single home game remaining and dogs at every road game.  

Do this for me:  go down our home games and tell me which you are comfortable saying that we will lose that game.  I don't see a single one.

Yet, I would be willing to wager we lose at least one more home game just like I would be willing to wager we win at least one on the road....because that's where the percentages lie.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Predicting individual games is a sucker's bet, which is why you are probably wise to not gamble.  Vegas makes money for a reason.

It's why when you look at our games and say you 'don't feel comfortable about predicting a single road win', you aren't looking at it correctly.  The correction assessment isn't about looking at each individual game, but the aggregate.   You aren't going to win every game you are favored and you aren't going to lose every game you are an underdog.  

The odds are overwhelmingly that we WILL win at least more road game.....just like they are overwhelming that we will lose one at home.  Yet we are likely going to be favored in every single home game remaining and dogs at every road game.  

Do this for me:  go down our home games and tell me which you are comfortable saying that we will lose that game.  I don't see a single one.

Yet, I would be willing to wager we lose at least one more home game just like I would be willing to wager we win at least one on the road....because that's where the percentages lie.

No I fully understand. That would put us at only 5 wins. And I would peg it as being more likely we drop 2 homes games and only snag 1 road win. Which would be 4 more wins 

I’ll respond one last time. Some of you think you know more about basketball than you do. You really think you would have all the answers if you were in the hot seat. I’m guessing most of you would simply piss yourself and look confused. 78 out ...

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Logical fallacy

Not really.  Guarantee that there are posters here that believe that they could do so despite never coaching....or coaching Pee Wee basketball to five year olds.

Certainly doesn't mean that coaches aren't beyond criticism,, because OF COURSE they are.  But it does always amaze me how simple some posters think it is, as if their advice like "it has to be touched by TJD every trip down the floor" is something based in reality and ignore the fact that the other team has players and a coach as well.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Not really.  Guarantee that there are posters here that believe that they could do so despite never coaching....or coaching Pee Wee basketball to five year olds.

Certainly doesn't mean that coaches aren't beyond criticism,, because OF COURSE they are.  But it does always amaze me how simple some posters think it is, as if their advice like "it has to be touched by TJD every trip down the floor" is something based in reality and ignore the fact that the other team has players and a coach as well.

But he’s saying that’s some sort of baseline for criticism allowed or some nonsense. Thus fallacy. 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol you post a bs false argument and you think you can make it good by egging me on. 

FWIW, whether Roger was or not, I was not envisioning the question directed at you.

The bottom line today is that TJD makes the last shot or just one other thing goes right down the stretch, we really aren't having a whole lot of discussion about how Archie has been coaching lately and instead are focusing on how we just won three important games in a row.  

3 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

I’ll respond one last time. Some of you think you know more about basketball than you do. You really think you would have all the answers if you were in the hot seat. I’m guessing most of you would simply piss yourself and look confused. 78 out ...

Oh man that’s some generic internet tough guy talk. That might be the most generic I’ve seen in fact.  

This isn’t even about basketball. It’s general leadership. If you let one person go out and do whatever they want to the detriment of the team. And you let them continue to hurt the team. You aren’t doing your job as a leader. Every leader has to deal with these personalities. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

But he’s saying that’s some sort of baseline for criticism allowed or some nonsense. Thus fallacy. 

I don't agree that there is a baseline for criticism on coaches, which I stated in the post.  But I do honestly believe there is a certain segment of posters who feel if they were hired at Indiana today, they would 'coach' this team to a run.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Oh man that’s some generic internet tough guy talk. That might be the most generic I’ve seen in fact.  

This isn’t even about basketball. It’s general leadership. If you let one person go out and do whatever they want to the detriment of the team. And you let them continue to hurt the team. You aren’t doing your job as a leader. Every leader has to deal with these personalities. 

No, it's about basketball.  Turning into a 'general leadership' statement, IMO, is the real generic internet tough guy talk.