Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Maryland at IU Game Thread 01/26 1 PM CBS

From TheDailyHoosier - A. J. Braun '21 forward from Bishop Fenwick high school in Franklin, OH, was also at today's game.  Braun and Shaun Phillips are AAU teammates.

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/fenwick-braun-shoulders-the-load-for-falcons-meant-everything-the-team/s1T2Jdigde0Gm8q7jC64eM/

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Screw this post so much. Most posters post frequently regardless of the outcome. 

This post is further proof that the concerns by the realistic fans haven’t been addressed and people are at a loss as to why. 

Da PePlE wHo AgReE wItH Me ArE Da ReAlIsTiC oNeS

What I read everytime someone refers to themselves as being the realistic one in this type of argument

11 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

Da PePlE wHo AgReE wItH Me ArE Da ReAlIsTiC oNeS

What I read everytime someone refers to themselves as being the realistic one in this type of argument

A mature and well stated opinion. Oh wait no the other thing. 

I say realistic because everybody says negative. I was told I was being negative when I raised concerns last year. But those concerns turned to reality thus they became realistic. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I say realistic because everybody says negative. I was told I was being negative when I raised concerns last year. But those concerns turned to reality thus they became realistic. 

wtf

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So this year your concerns that we would be 15-5 became reality?

;)

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So this year your concerns that we would be 15-5 became reality?

;)

We were 12-2 last year and look what happened. 

You can’t throw away winnable games by not giving a damn about offense or defense for 10 minutes. 

You can’t give away games by playing a junk line up to finish the game. 

You especially can’t keep making those same mistakes. This league is brutal. We only have to go 4-7 the rest of the way but that’s not a given. We have to show up with purpose and not make boneheaded errors 

From TheDailyHoosier - A. J. Braun '21 forward from Bishop Fenwick high school in Franklin, OH, was also at today's game.  Braun and Shaun Phillips are AAU teammates.
https://www.journal-news.com/sports/fenwick-braun-shoulders-the-load-for-falcons-meant-everything-the-team/s1T2Jdigde0Gm8q7jC64eM/

Good to know. Hopefully when we get another large contingent of recruits at the game, IU will win!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We were 12-2 last year and look what happened. 

You can’t throw away winnable games by not giving a damn about offense or defense for 10 minutes. 

You can’t give away games by playing a junk line up to finish the game. 

You especially can’t keep making those same mistakes. This league is brutal. We only have to go 4-7 the rest of the way but that’s not a given. We have to show up with purpose and not make boneheaded errors 

Well said. 

FWIW, we have a very different set of players and team mindset than during that awful streak last year. Also, we are past that meltdown point from last year.

No bad losses?  I guess maybe analytically?  Because both losses to Maryland, Wisconsin, and Arkansas were bad losses to me.

Josh,

You and I normally share similar opinions, but I feel some of your posts after the game I do respectfully disagree with. This team is better than last year, and I feel they are getting better on a consistent basis this year. Losing to Arkansas and Maryland is not fun at all, but’s it’s also not the end of the world.

I predicted this team to win 20-21 games before the NCAA Tournament, and I feel that’s exactly where this team is heading. I guess I don’t understand why we are accepting loses or whatever you were saying? That’s not what any of us on here are doing, especially me. However, I understand this is a flawed team that lost its two best scorers from a season ago. Don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated as heck with some of the things from this staff and team, but we are a top 40 team compared to a bubble team last year.

I’ve been very vocal with my disproval with some games and coaching decisions, but it’s steadily getting better. While some is on the coach, he has two very limited seniors and two limited juniors. Also, we’ve had a very injured Rob and De’Ron, injuries to Devonte and Race. Jerome is slowly but surely starting to find his game and get comfortable. I’m not excusing some of things, but it’s been a less than perfect one from an injury/sick bug.

While we want championships, it’s unrealistic this season to expect that. There’s a different from wants than realistic expectations for a flawed team that’s getting better. I don’t think anyone predicted more than 23 wins for this team, so I guess I don’t understand the doomsday talk after a loss to a top Big10 team at home where nothing has made any sense this year for the league.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well said. 

FWIW, we have a very different set of players and team mindset than during that awful streak last year. Also, we are past that meltdown point from last year.

People keep saying we have different players with a different mindset. Yet we keep saying the same mistakes. We played great team offense most of the game. Then the last 4 minutes it completely disappeared. Just like last year with Romeo 

We had a line up that was curb stomping Maryland and rather than going for a double digit lead. We mass subbed and let Maryland stop the bleeding. Then the refs kept then in the game until our offense went stagnant. What happened to shortening the rotation?  Just like last year failing to step on their throat. 

We failed to show up on defense for 12 minutes. Giving up wide open 3s after wide open 3. Failing to show up on D is certainly new but failing to show up has been a constant with these team.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I'll never understand acceptance of a 6 - 10 seed and losing

So now that you haven't accepted it, did it turn the loss into the win?

I guess I'll never understand the idea that telling everyone how much you hate a loss and they couldn't possibly hate it more than you somehow makes your opinion the right one.

Screw this post so much. Most posters post frequently regardless of the outcome. 

This post is further proof that the concerns by the realistic fans haven’t been addressed and people are at a loss as to why. 
Again its not that people are complaining about how we lost. I get that. What I don't understand and will never understand is many of those same posters who seem to only post after a loss do not or rarely post after a win.
How many of those people would have posted had the collapse not happened or made multiple posts had the collapse not happened.
Why can't they be happy when they win and acknowledge the win and praise players when they play well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So if we had went 5-5 in that stretch instead of 0-10, you would have been negative and not realistic?

Being negative and correct when things go wrong doesn't make any more realistic than someone who is optimistic and things go right.  

And I'm sorry, you haven't been the type of guy who 'raises concerns'.  You have been a poster who 'predicts failure'.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

So if we had went 5-5 in that stretch instead of 0-10, you would have been negative and not realistic?

Pretty much.  I don’t say what I say lightly though 

We looked like crap. So I had concerns. And yeah we are slightly better this year. But guess what the Big Ten is better.

Were past our three gimme games.  We are 2-4 in our non gimme games. We have to play more consistent against the non dregs of the conference. Our current level of play translates to 3 or 4 more wins. Pretty thin margin there. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I'll never understand acceptance of a 6 - 10 seed and losing

I'll never understand if you feel we are a 6 -10 seed the inability to understand that while unwanted, losses are going to occur.  If they didn't, the team wouldn't be a 6-10 seed.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Pretty much.  I don’t say what I say lightly though 

We looked like crap. So I had concerns. And yeah we are slightly better this year. But guess what the Big Ten is better.

Were past our three gimme games.  We are 2-4 in our non gimme games. We have to play more consistent against the non dregs of the conference. Our current level of play translates to 3 or 4 more wins. Pretty thin margin there. 

Could you go and tell Purdue and Iowa that games at Nebraska are gimmes?

I'm also willing to guess that if you were going to bet money and the number of wins remaining for IU was put at 4, you wouldn't put money on the under.

Could you go and tell Purdue and Iowa that games at Nebraska are gimmes?
I'm also willing to guess that if you were going to bet money and the number of wins remaining for IU was put at 4, you wouldn't put money on the under.

So we should be okay we things because others do it? Bad mindset.