Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs MSU Game Thread 1/23 8:30 FS1

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

****; I’d call it all good if we went 5-7 and stayed healthy.

Agreed. They said the other day that IU had the toughest remaining schedule of any team in the country. I think 7-5 would mean they are finding a speed none of us expected and exceeding all expectations. I think 4-8 or 5-7 is still enough to get us safely in the tourney and would probably be a good result given the strength of the schedule remaining.  

Man, looking at the remaining schedules for the top half of the conference, and I literally have no confidence in predicting how things will play out. The unbalanced schedule really rears it’s ugly head for the top of the conference. MSU plays 5 of their last 8 games on the road, and 4 of their last 5 games are against teams currently ranked in the Top 25. Illinois starts Feb off with four straight games against ranked teams (@Iowa, Mary, MSU, @Rut) and then goes to PSU. Brutal stretch. Maryland is starting their tough stretch at Assembly Sun followed by 4 of their next five against ranked teams (Iowa, Rut, @Ill, Neb, @MSU), then they still have MSU at home and @Rut to end the season. Honestly, I think Iowa might have the most favorable schedule remaining. But I wouldn’t be totally shocked if the team(s) that wins the B1G has 6-7 losses. And more than that, I’m thinking there’s probably gonna be a two or three way tie for the top. 

Edit: I mentioned earlier that I read IU has the toughest remaining schedule in the country, but if you’re basing it on games against ranked teams, I don’t really see it. After Sunday, we only have two games remaining against currently ranked teams. Home against Iowa, and @Illinois. For comparison:

Games remaining against currently ranked teams:

MSU - 4

ILL - 5

Iowa - 4

Maryland - 6

Rutgers - 3

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So far MSU hasn’t been able to win on the road. League is pretty wide open. Anybody with less than 4 losses is in decent position. 

Yep, I honestly don't know who the best team is either. Usually you can tell, or at least have clear tiers. This season that's not the case. I can easily point out reasons for who it is NOT the best, since everyone is flawed. Really pleasantly surprised at O$U's skid though!  

1. To me it looked like he cramped up at the very end, which is not at all an issue.
  2. Not me. Winston is very, very good at 'causing' contact. The best, craftiest guards know how to do that effectively. Thought the refs were absolutely excellent last night.
  3. I didn't hear it, but es no bueno.
  4. He was terrible, but he's playing hard and engaged. He's also in a big-time shooting funk, so that magnifies bad plays. He'll be a major plus down the road as long as his attitude remains positive when things aren't ducky. In other words, we've seen this before.
I agree with you about the officiating. Overall it was very good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Green was bad. He never really looked to do anything offensively when he was out there. Barely played in the second half. 

I thought Justin was pretty inefficient as well. 
Justin may have been inefficient offensively, but I thought his defense and rebounding were good.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

12 games left. Be nice to go 7-5.

I'm going with 7-5 as well. I'd be happy with that or anything above it. That would put us at 22-9 (12-8). Puts us around 6th or 7th in the conference. Win a game in the B1G tournament and get an 8/9 seed. Just my expectations . 

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

The same people who want him fired can't watch them play, see the team getting healthier, see one kid getting benched, watch the execution and obvious steady improvement and reach a logical conclusion?   That tells me a whole lot about anyone who's still on that elementary bandwagon.   Couple of games here and there?   Team's 15-4, has the best record in the Big Ten against ranked opponents (two ranked #6 and #7 in Sagarin yesterday) and it's spun merely as "a few games here and there."  Yep.  Got it.

Few people actually wanted him fired. The majority were in the "we need to make the tournament this season, if we don't Archie deserves to be on the hot seat next year" crowd. 

And the same people that have blind faith in him can't watch some of the absolute garbage performances they have and do the same? Sure but are they likely to? Nope. And we've seen trends for 2 1/2 years that suggest the "bad" have been more prevalent than the "good". There is a lot of season left and I'd like to see how it goes. If you want to declare it a success already then go ahead but that tells me a lot about you in that case. On a side note: are you incapable of communicating with people without doing so in a condescending and arrogant way?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My biggest problem isnt that they are negative. It is that they are negative all the time. They will make sure they post numerous times in a game thread when we lose that game. They rarely, if ever, post in threads like this one. At least the sunshine pumpers will post in most, if not all, game threads.

21 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm going with 7-5 as well. I'd be happy with that or anything above it. That would put us at 22-9 (12-8). Puts us around 6th or 7th in the conference. Win a game in the B1G tournament and get an 8/9 seed. Just my expectations . 

Based on the known strength of the conference, and the number of Quad 1 wins that record would have us with, I think 22-9 (12-8) is more likely a tie for 3rd/4th in conference and a 4/5 seed in the Dance. Have to think the committee will look favorably on B1G teams given the gauntlet they face in conference this year as opposed to a team like Virginia Tech or NC State sitting in 4th place in a down ACC that comes out with a similar overall record.

Oh look, another Winston foul that got a pass. That guy gets away with stuff every possession. They showed the replay of the Brunk foul (called on Joey early) and it was clear Cassius grabbed his arm to make it appear to be a foul. He had one feed where he stiff-armed our guy, just a blatant push to create space, then made the entry pass. Another replay where I think rob was showing the ref the hooking motion Winston was getting away with, and the replay showed it. The B1G trying to make him into a superstar has gone too far. 

Love the Izzo hate around here. Biggest crybaby in college basketball. I watched his entire postgame presser with as much glee as I did the game. And MSU fans don’t get enough credit for how insufferable they are. 

Loving these reports from those of you at “the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball” as Gus Johnson repeated at least 3 times last night. Guys saying best environment since 2012? Evidently reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated. Also, it’s a little thing, but just hearing Gus and Bill refer to us as IU was refreshing. For a loooong time when someone said “IU” it immediately meant the blue blood basketball program. You don’t hear it as much anymore. 

Not many comments on the game that haven’t been said. Al played a man’s game. He came out fired up. Our bigs dominated for us. Armaan looked like a guy that will be a plus player for us in the years to come. Justin was awesome, IMO. Great attitude, huge effort. Someone made the point that even without the two seniors, we might be returning all those guys next year. After a night like that, everyone will want to keep on being a part of this program, and hopefully recruits too. 

Everybody: we have people saying that going 5-7 over the next 12 would be a great overall result. We will be losing multiple games in the next month, and won’t necessarily look good doing it. Keep your cool. This team is delivering us a very satisfying season so far. Keep supporting them. Five more wins over 12 games won’t be fun, but that is 20 wins and a great resume. 

100% chance I track down some grape Icebreakers before Maryland. 
851D5C04-5CED-4782-904E-06C673E78718.thumb.png.7d8f4c0b92c7cbb0d43fc950719ac8b9.png

Dakich said a couple days ago, and I’m paraphrasing, that Purdue has the best home court environment in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Oh look, another Winston foul that got a pass. That guy gets away with stuff every possession. They showed the replay of the Brunk foul (called on Joey early) and it was clear Cassius grabbed his arm to make it appear to be a foul. He had one feed where he stiff-armed our guy, just a blatant push to create space, then made the entry pass. Another replay where I think rob was showing the ref the hooking motion Winston was getting away with, and the replay showed it. The B1G trying to make him into a superstar has gone too far. 

Love the Izzo hate around here. Biggest crybaby in college basketball. I watched his entire postgame presser with as much glee as I did the game. And MSU fans don’t get enough credit for how insufferable they are. 

Loving these reports from those of you at “the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball” as Gus Johnson repeated at least 3 times last night. Guys saying best environment since 2012? Evidently reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated. Also, it’s a little thing, but just hearing Gus and Bill refer to us as IU was refreshing. For a loooong time when someone said “IU” it immediately meant the blue blood basketball program. You don’t hear it as much anymore. 

Not many comments on the game that haven’t been said. Al played a man’s game. He came out fired up. Our bigs dominated for us. Armaan looked like a guy that will be a plus player for us in the years to come. Justin was awesome, IMO. Great attitude, huge effort. Someone made the point that even without the two seniors, we might be returning all those guys next year. After a night like that, everyone will want to keep on being a part of this program, and hopefully recruits too. 

Everybody: we have people saying that going 5-7 over the next 12 would be a great overall result. We will be losing multiple games in the next month, and won’t necessarily look good doing it. Keep your cool. This team is delivering us a very satisfying season so far. Keep supporting them. Five more wins over 12 games won’t be fun, but that is 20 wins and a great resume. 

100% chance I track down some grape Icebreakers before Maryland. 

851D5C04-5CED-4782-904E-06C673E78718.png

Anyone know our record with Gus on the call? Seems like we get a W when he is doing our games! Plus, I just love his game calls.