Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs MSU Game Thread 1/23 8:30 FS1

If we lose, I'm not starting any more game threads lol....

NOTES: IU Set to Host No. 9/11 Michigan State on Thursday Night

Story Links

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will begin a two-game homestand Thursday against #9/11 Michigan State.  IU will host #17 Maryland on Sunday.  The Hoosiers are coming off an 82-74 win at Nebraska, while the Spartans won at home against Wisconsin, 67-55.  According to ESPN's BPI, the Hoosiers are projected to have the toughest strength of schedule in the country for the remainder of the season.  

GAME INFORMATION
Thursday, Jan. 23 •  8:30 p.m. ET
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222) • Bloomington, Ind.
TV: FS1 (Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network  (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr,  Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: Indiana leads, 70-55
Last Meeting: at IU 63, MSU 62 - 3/2/19

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson.  He is 188-98 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton.  His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.  He is 49-35 at IU.  Hall of Famer Tom Izzo is 620-236 in 25 seasons in East Lansing.

SUITS AND SNEAKERS
Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers Week is a nationwide event when basketball coaches across the country unite for a common cause – saving lives from cancer.  Coaches and their staff across the nation wear sneakers with their suits during games to raise awareness about the disease.

NEWS & NOTES
Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is averaging a team-best 14.2 points and 8.2 rebounds.  Among freshmen nationally, he is 2nd in field goal percentage (63.4%), 4th in free throws made (76), blocked shots (36), and in free throws attempted (107) and 9th in  rebounds (147).  He is 7th in the Big Ten in rebounding, 2nd in field goal percentage and 8th in blocked shots. He had 18 points and 13 boards at Nebraska.

Junior Justin Smith led the Hoosiers with 15 points against Rutgers and added 7 boards and had the same line at Nebraska.  He is averaging 12.2 points and is 5th in the B1G in steals (1.3).  He was named IU's Male Scholar Athlete of the Month in January.  He is in the Kelley School of Business studying Entrepreneurship & Corporate Innovation.  Redshirt junior forward Joey Brunk  followed up his first double-double at IU against Rutgers (10/10) with 16 points at Nebraska. He is averaging 9.7 rebounds in his last 7 games. 

After scoring just 2 points off the bench against Rutgers, non-starters contributed 21 against the Huskers.  Freshman Armaan Franklin had 8 points, 6 boards and 4 assists, redshirt freshman Jerome Hunter had 6 points, and senior De'Ron Davis had 2 key baskets.

ODDS AND TRENDS
IU leads the nation in free throws attempted at 26.1 per game and is 4th in free throws made per game at (17.1).  The 21 assists at Nebraska is the most by an Archie Miller coached team at IU in the Big Ten.  IU is 10th in the country in rebound margin at +9.1.  IU's 50.8% effort from the field at Nebraska was its best shooting outing since making 55.6% against Florida State.

Loves me some Gus Johnson. Hoosiers always play tough when he’s on the mic. I guess that’s all I’d ask here. Win, lose, whatever. Be a tough out. Make sure they remember your name either way. The B1G has minnows and sharks. If you are looking through the league and you don’t know which one you are, then you’re not a f-ing shark. BE A F-ING SHARK!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Izzo was basically crying in the post game press conference last year after Justin Smith lit them up in assembly hall. Oh what I would give to see that again. 
GO HOOSIERS. 

And he wouldn’t even refer to Justin by name. Keep calling him “#3”. Very disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And after both games last season, Izzo fussed about injuries. Hell, we had more than our share of injuries last season, too. Rob never was quite right after his concussion, Race was limited all season because of a concussion and obviously, we didn't have Jerome all year. And Romeo pretty much played all season with an effed up thumb/wrist. ... The second game, he said they ran out of bodies and ran out of gas and got killed by a guy who made four 3-pointers all year. ... That's basketball, Tom. When you're the No. 6 team in the country, aren't you supposed to figure out ways to win games like that? ... Man, I would love to beat these guys by 10-15 points. Don't think it'll happen, but would love to see it. 

8 minutes ago, fwgreenway said:

The '6th man' will make up the difference in this game. Relax mamasa. Feel the heat. Comin off the street. The Hall likes to party, whoo. She likes to get down. All the Hall is gonna do is dance!

I appreciate the laugh!  It was a tense moment in the office and I took a moment.  This made my day!

12 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

One of my biggest regrets was not going to a game when I was there as a student...but in fairness, it was the last days of Mike Davis.

I went to one in Davis's last season, against Nobody U.

I remember hearing people on my dorm floor cheer when he resigned.  I may or may not have been among them.

Assembly Hall is gonna be worth at least 10 points tonight. Izzo starting to get his squad rolling. Need Phinisee to to have a similar performance, defensively, as last years home game against Cassius Winston. Assembly Hall will be worth at least 10 points tonight. 

fanduel has a promo for this game. Easiest $45 you’ll ever win. Last I checked Indiana was +55. That’s beer money ladies and gents!