Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

IUWBB vs Penn St 1/23 6:00 pm BTN

No. 17 IU Travels To Penn State On Thursday Night

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Looking to get back on track, No. 17 Indiana travels to Penn State on Thursday night. Tipoff in Bryce Jordan Center is set for 6 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.

NO. 17/24 INDIANA (14-5, 4-3 B1G) AT PENN STATE (7-11, 1-6 B1G)
Thursday, January 23, 2020 • 6 p.m. ET
Bryce Jordan Center • University Park, Pa.
Broadcast: BTN (Jason Knapp, Vera Jones)
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Sidearm
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

ABOUT THE COACHES
Indiana Penn State
Teri Moren Carolyn Kieger
Career Record: 316-201 (17th Season) Career Record: 528-158 (21st Season)
Indiana Record: 117-71 (6th Season) Penn State Record: 471-128 (18th Season)

ABOUT THE LADY LIONS
Penn State comes in to Thursday's game also looking to end a three-game slide after losses to Ohio State, Rutgers and Northwestern. Their lone conference win came on Jan. 9 against Michigan State. Junior guard Kamaria McDaniel leads the way with 19.1 points and 3.1 assists per game and senior guard Siyeh Frazier is the only other player in double figures with 12.1 points per contest. They average 69.2 points per game while shooting 40 percent from the floor.

SERIES HISTORY
Penn State leads 33-14

LAST MEETING
12/31/18 - W, 83-75 (Bloomington)

NOTES
  • Freshman forward Mackenzie Holmes was named the Big Ten co-Freshman of the Week on Monday. She earns the honor for the third time this season – the most by any IU freshman in school history. It comes on the heels of a 22-point, nine rebound performance against Northwestern last week.
  • Indiana will look to end a three-game skid as it fell 76-62 at No. 20 Maryland on Monday night. Sophomore guard Grace Berger set a new Big Ten-high 21 points while redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg had 15 points.
  • The Hoosiers are led by Berger's 13.5 points per game and 13.1 points per contest from Patberg. Two others are in double figure averages including Holmes (11.8 ppg., 5.8 rpg.) and junior guard Jaelynn Penn (10.0 ppg.).
  • While the Hoosiers trail in the all-time series with the Lady Lioins, they have won five of the last six meetings between the two schools dating back to 2015.

Kind of cliche to say a game isn’t necessarily a “must win game” but really is a game they need to win. But that’s basically what this is. It’s not a must, in that, it won’t cost the team the season or anything. But dropping this one puts the team squarely in the middle of the pack and probably does some damage to their confidence about this season being something special. Gotta take care of business against an inferior team and get the ship righted. 

21 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Looking over the roster of the Lady Hoosiers, and I really like the talent across the classes with a lot of returning talent next year. Anyone know where I can find info about our commits for next season?

This forum keeps great track of commits..we dont have any for next year, but danielle patterson will be eligible, which is potentially exciting

Just now, Hoosierfan31 said:

This forum keeps great track of commits..we dont have any for next year, but danielle patterson will be eligible, which is potentially exciting

Thanks. Is there a site that would have info about those that we are recruiting or have interest in coming to IU? 

26 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Thanks. Is there a site that would have info about those that we are recruiting or have interest in coming to IU? 

This is the best source I know of. Usually compiled of what different users  on here find on twitter and in news articles ect. Been quiet lately on recruiting front

15 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Ladies are up 10 with 8 minutes left, PSU played them tight in the 1st half then IU realized they're a top 20 team. The power of the mausoleum.

Does the 7-8 person student section that yells "OHHHHHHHH!!!!!" right behind the TV microphones every time the opponent has the ball go to women's games too? 

Somebody will do a better recap of the game after it’s over I’m sure, but I am going to be turning my attention to the men’s game so here are my premature thoughts. The defense in the third quarter changed this game from being close with an inferior opponent, to IU looking like a top 20 team playing against a team they are better than. It almost felt like the first half they were still having confidence issues maybe still stemming from the tough losses over the last three. Couple observations:

-Mackenzie Holmes is a beast. She has a chance to be remembered as one of the best women’s players to put on an IU Jersey.
-Grace Berger has one of the best mid range games of any shooter I’ve seen in recent years, women or men. Great stroke from just inside the free throw line. Smooth and confident. Need her to make those shots in order to make a run in March

-As Ali Patberg goes, so go the Lady Hoosiers. She does a great job of initiating the offense and pushing the ball up the court. But she sometimes gets sped up and starts playing downhill and it results in turnovers. 
-Based on what I’ve seen from the top 5 teams, IU is one 6’6” or 6’7” just opposing center threat away from being an elite program. They have the shooters and solid post play. But it seems like in the women’s game if you can get that one height advantage post player that just grabs boards and gets a bucket every time they get position, that’s the difference between being good and being really dangerous. 
-they showed the conference standings several times and it surprised me they never mentioned that IU was the only team who had played the top four teams in conference already. Lot of opportunity to get back to the top of the conference as the rest of the teams have to start playing each other. 
-lastly, a lot of good young talent, but for me, Aleksa Gulbe has the potential to be special. She could be an all-American as a senior with her skill-set. Handles. Three-point shot. Post moves. Great player. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

2 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Looking over the roster of the Lady Hoosiers, and I really like the talent across the classes with a lot of returning talent next year. Anyone know where I can find info about our commits for next season?

As Hoosierfan31 said, we don't have any commitments for next year, but with the make-up of our roster not necessarily a huge concern.  BUT, Coach Moren and staff will have to do some serious recruiting for '21.

Women's recruiting simply doesn't get the attention the men do.  I follow the Twitter account of Raoul   @Raoul_000 who has 5,201 followers and follows women's recruiting about as closely as anyone.  It's this account that has often been the first place I've learned of offers being extended or simply of IU's interest in a particular player.  Raoul also maintains  https://wbbblog.com/