Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUWBB at #20 Maryland 1/20 8 pm BTN

I hope the women didn't enjoy all this extra attention because they just lost it.

Fair or not, Olympic sports if you want extra attention must remain highly ranked and a contender and now they are not (even our soccer team needs to be a contender to be in IU mainstream). Once postseason hits people will start paying attention again and you will still hear about them here or there.

The problem is being mentioned on every Hoosier show and podcast in the mainstream is over for this year and they have entirely themselves to blame. Its not last night that's the problem as Maryland does this to everyone at home this year. The problem was the Northwestern loss they gave away will haunt them all season and may or may not be the catalyst that never achieves what they can be (yes it was that big possibly). When you are teetering for respectability and on the rise this is a game you cannot lose in that fashion and they did.

They better get it back together now as they play the absolute bottom feeders in the conference for a while now but a top 4 seed and Big Ten Championship are kind of out of it now unless you go nearly undefeated down stretch which seems unlikely. This had a chance to be such a special season and is quickly fading to be similar to last two tourney teams (maybe slightly better).

At some point though if you want to take a step to a constant tourney team and be among the top Big Ten teams and attract recruits after being awful for so long you have to have a really big season to say these losing ways are no more. IU baseball did this in 2012 and 2013 and that's why they have sustained it. So many IU sports have a couple nice seasons but most fall back unless they have that really big season to keep them going at a new level. The Women doing that is a must next year now or this could very well be a flash in the pan.

Note we have no recruits for any future classes and if you want to add to the six 5* recruits you have on the team now and show this is not a fluke you need a huge season in next couple years or this is not sustainable. Hopefully they get it back together and don't throw away such a promising season and future. I have faith they won't but they need to show it.    

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

I hope the women didn't enjoy all this extra attention because they just lost it.

Fair or not, Olympic sports if you want extra attention must remain highly ranked and a contender and now they are not (even our soccer team needs to be a contender to be in IU mainstream). Once postseason hits people will start paying attention again and you will still hear about them here or there.

The problem is being mentioned on every Hoosier show and podcast in the mainstream is over for this year and they have entirely themselves to blame. Its not last night that's the problem as Maryland does this to everyone at home this year. The problem was the Northwestern loss they gave away will haunt them all season and may or may not be the catalyst that never achieves what they can be (yes it was that big possibly). When you are teetering for respectability and on the rise this is a game you cannot lose in that fashion and they did.

They better get it back together now as they play the absolute bottom feeders in the conference for a while now but a top 4 seed and Big Ten Championship are kind of out of it now unless you go nearly undefeated down stretch which seems unlikely. This had a chance to be such a special season and is quickly fading to be similar to last two tourney teams (maybe slightly better).

At some point though if you want to take a step to a constant tourney team and be among the top Big Ten teams and attract recruits after being awful for so long you have to have a really big season to say these losing ways are no more. IU baseball did this in 2012 and 2013 and that's why they have sustained it. So many IU sports have a couple nice seasons but most fall back unless they have that really big season to keep them going at a new level. The Women doing that is a must next year now or this could very well be a flash in the pan.

Note we have no recruits for any future classes and if you want to add to the six 5* recruits you have on the team now and show this is not a fluke you need a huge season in next couple years or this is not sustainable. Hopefully they get it back together and don't throw away such a promising season and future. I have faith they won't but they need to show it.    

Agree with the sentiment and the importance of capitalizing on the momentum. It’s early to say they’ve “lost” the attention though in my opinion. They lost three games to ranked teams, two of which were on the road. It was far and away the most difficult stretch of games we could have faced in conference. Iowa hasn’t lost at home in two years and we let a lead slip away and lost steam in two overtimes. NW and Maryland are tough, and we got beat. Was it a missed opportunity to make a statement that our early season success was not a fluke. Absolutely. Was it the end of the program’s chance to turn a corner. I don’t believe so, no.

We aren’t the only team to beat South Carolina, the number one team in the country, by accident. With a favorable schedule remaining in conference I still think a conference title is in play, and a deep run in the conference tourney when games are on a neutral court, I think we still have a chance at a 4 seed or better in the big dance. And as it relates to the program, it’s important to note that we only play one senior in a significant role, and Ali Patberg was granted a sixth year of eligibility and will be back. This year is just part of the momentum the program is potentially building. Next year may ultimately be the pivotal year when we break through, but I agree this year is important to sustain the upward trajectory. The next two weeks are important because we should be favored in the next four games. A lot will be revealed about the mental toughness of the team in the coming weeks. If they start playing like they’re capable of and right the ship, this stretch will just be a couple tough luck losses against deservingly ranked teams on the road and in OT. The beat will go on.

Overall I think the program still has the opportunity to do what IU baseball did and break through and maintain success. Just the fact that I’m here talking about them and have watched the last five games or so having marked them on my mental calendar to tune in, means something. I am a lifelong men’s basketball fan, but seeing them ranked early in the season and being successful in the Virgin Islands against top ten teams got my attention. They play the game the right way. They compete. And they have a little bit of the underdog appeal that makes you want them to overcome the odds and be good. I personally think they’re in great shape as a program and are still on the upswing. Hopefully I’m right. Go get ‘em girls. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23