Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUWBB at #20 Maryland 1/20 8 pm BTN

Road Swing Begins Monday For No. 15 Indiana At No. 20 Maryland

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – No. 15 Indiana begins a week-long road swing as it faces No. 20 Maryland on Monday night in College Park. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.

NO. 15/16 INDIANA (14-4, 4-2 B1G) VS. NO 20/20 MARYLAND (13-4, 4-2 B1G)
Monday, January 20, 2020 • 8 p.m. ET
Xfinity Center • College Park, Md.
Broadcast: BTN (Lisa Byington, Christy Winters Scott)
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Sidearm
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

ABOUT THE COACHES
Indiana Maryland
Teri Moren Brenda Frese
Career Record: 316-200 (17th Season) Career Record: 528-158 (21st Season)
Indiana Record: 117-70 (6th Season) Maryland Record: 471-128 (18th Season)

ABOUT THE TERRAPINS
Maryland has posted back-to-back double figure wins at Michigan and Nebraska to improve to 4-2 in Big Ten play. They are led by the league's preseason Player of the Year Kaila Charles who averages 14.4 points along four other players who put up double figure averages. The Terps are averaging a league-high 81.9 points per game while limiting their opponents to just 56.0 points per game. They are also one of the top teams in the nation in steals, posting 13.8 per game which is 3rd in the NCAA this season.

SERIES HISTORY
Maryland leads 7-0

LAST MEETING
1/27/19 – L, 56-76 (Bloomington, Ind.)

NOTES
  • The Hoosiers will look to regroup after a pair of overtime losses last week. They fell in a double overtime heartbreaker at Iowa on Sunday, 91-85, and fell at home to Northwestern on Thursday in overtime, 71-69.
  • Freshman forward Mackenzie Holmes is coming off a game against Northwestern where she tied a season-high 22 points and going 9-for-14 from the floor. The Gorham, Maine is shooting 67.6 percent from the floor this season, which ranks fourth in the nation. It was her 12th game in double figures this season.
  • Four players are averaging double figures for Indiana this season behind sophomore guard Grace Berger (13.0 ppg.) and redshirt junior Ali Patberg (12.9 ppg.). Holmes also adds 12.1 points per game while junior guard Jaelynn Penn is also in double figures with 10.2 points per game.
  • Sophomore forward Aleksa Gulbe has been a spark for the Hoosiers in Big Ten play. The Riga, Latvia native is averaging 11.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game and has scored in double figures in four of six conference games. She posted a new career-high 18 points at Iowa.
  • Senior forward Brenna Wise is one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award. The acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School ®, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.

UP NEXT
Indiana will continue on its road stretch when it visits Penn State on Thursday night. Tipoff at Bryce Jordan Center is set for 7 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.

I don't want to beat the Twerps as badly as I do the Toiletmakers, but I'd really, really like to see us go on the road and get a big win tonight. I can't explain it, but something about Brenda Frese really bugs me. And we've never beaten them. There's a first time for everything. Hoping our gals can make it happen tonight.  

First season really following and religiously watching the lady Hoosiers. Mostly been a men’s program fan previously. Gotta say, I know it’s the ball size, but seeing some of the shots go up that look like bricks off the back of the rim that just sit and go in is so bizarre. IU needs to make some adjustments at half to attack the press and cut down on the silly turnovers. On the defensive end, way too many easy layups for the Terps. Gotta help on the backside on those lobs into the post, and switch on the drives into the lane to help off and cut the lane to the bucket. They looked rattled. I think that press is speeding everything up for them with the ball. Cut it to 6-8 in the third quarter and you give yourself a shot. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

We've had -- I think -- two shot-clock violations, a 10-second violation and about a half-dozen (if not more) other turnovers in the backcourt when we couldn't beat the press. Get that cleaned up and we might have a chance. Can't have that many empty possessions. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

We've had -- I think -- two shot-clock violations, a 10-second violation and about a half-dozen (if not more) other turnovers in the backcourt when we couldn't beat the press. Get that cleaned up and we might have a chance. Can't have that many empty possessions. 

I thought 10 second violations didn't exist in women's college basketball? Or did that change recently? 

Man, having watched so much of our men’s team this year, it really is impressive how many times both these teams step up and bury two free throws like it’s nothing. Usually when we get fouled on the men’s side I’m happy if we get a point out of it. 

Gut check time. Three game losing streak. Really needed to pull one of those OT games out because confidence looks shaken. This doesn’t look like the IU team I’ve watched this season, that plays fundamental and smart. Usually crisp offensive sets and cuts to the hoop. Looks like a team that needs to figure out of it wants to compete for a conference title and make a run in the tourney, or if it is just happy to call it a successful season having beaten a couple top ten teams and finishing middle of the pack in the big ten and going out in the first or second round of the dance. I think Moren will get them back on track, but they look a little rattled and maybe even fatigued. Lot of youth on the team. Need to grow up quick, because this and next year are the best window of talent the women’s program has had to make the leap to being elite and they need to capitalize on it. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

Just took a peak, and actually the lady Hoosiers have a really favorable schedule remaining in conference. Don’t play NW, Iowa or Rutgers again, and have Maryland at home. Think they win their next four games and head into the rematch at home against Maryland 8-3 in conference. After that game they play against the back half of the conference down the home stretch. I think we’ve played the toughest conference schedule so far and even with a couple winnable OT losses are sitting at 4-3. I still like our chances at a conference title if we can take care of business the next four games against teams we should beat.