Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Nebraska Game Thread 1/18 7 PM BTN

Committee will care about the road win at Nebraska. Last year committee gave Belmont an at large bid because they had solid wins in their conference on the road with teams that would compare to Nebraska. For instance if the resumes for Iowa, Purdue and IU are very close the committee is going to care that IU was the only team of the 3 to win their game at Nebraska while the other 2 lost

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because relative to Belmont, that’s good for them. For us, it’s almost meaningless and was a must win because it would have been a horrible loss, in more ways than 1.

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Committee will care about the road win at Nebraska. Last year committee gave Belmont an at large bid because they had solid wins in their conference on the road with teams that would compare to Nebraska. For instance if the resumes for Iowa, Purdue and IU are very close the committee is going to care that IU was the only team of the 3 to win their game at Nebraska while the other 2 lost

I agree that they will care. Doesn’t matter who it was against I think just getting the win was the most important part. Without it we could have won 6 more home games and had a resume good enough to be in with zero road wins. Now we just have to worry about the committee debating whether a team with one single road win is worthy. But that’s a lot better than debating whether a team with zero road wins is worthy. 

Because relative to Belmont, that’s good for them. For us, it’s almost meaningless and was a must win because it would have been a horrible loss, in more ways than 1.

Committee could care less what is relative to Belmont. Each team is viewed as the same during selection. So if committee thinks a road win is good for Belmont then a road win for IU, Miss valley St, Santa Clara, Purdue, Duke, North Texas and so on is going to be viewed as a good win. Must win? Interesting take since tournament teams especially seeds 6-12 almost always have Quad 3 losses. For a team that has only lost to NET top 31 teams this wouldn’t of been viewed as a horrible loss

Where are we going with this debate?

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No, the committee is not looking at it like that. They aren’t looking at bubble teams and saying well this team has lower quality wins but that’s fine because relative to them they’re actually pretty good wins. That’s literally why they have a ranking system in place. To rank quality of wins and overall resumes. It’s why they look at blind resumes as well.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Committee could care less what is relative to Belmont. Each team is viewed as the same during selection. So if committee thinks a road win is good for Belmont then a road win for IU, Miss valley St, Santa Clara, Purdue, Duke, North Texas and so on is going to be viewed as a good win. Must win? Interesting take since tournament teams especially seeds 6-12 almost always have Quad 3 losses. For a team that has only lost to NET top 31 teams this wouldn’t of been viewed as a horrible loss

You ever see that episode of Bugs Bunny where he got stuck on the highway?

I agree that they will care. Doesn’t matter who it was against I think just getting the win was the most important part. Without it we could have won 6 more home games and had a resume good enough to be in with zero road wins. Now we just have to worry about the committee debating whether a team with one single road win is worthy. But that’s a lot better than debating whether a team with zero road wins is worthy. 

IU is 3-3 away from Assembly Hall. Those neutral court wins are more valuable then some on here wanted to believe. any wins away from home are big during selection. IU is in better shape then most believe

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The committee isn’t going to care about our road win at Nebraska. We actually moved back from 47 to 49 in the NET rankings. And Nebraska is still a Quad 3 win, even on the road as they are ranked 168. Indiana has actually fallen back about 8 spots in the last week.

But they would care about a road loss to Neb. Making the tourney is about not under performing as well as over performing.

How is a Quad 3 loss all of sudden not a bad loss? Of course that’s a bad loss. And this place would have went up in flames. Nebraska #168. The worst in the Big Ten. We couldn’t have a Quad 3 loss with the possibility of ending up on the bubble and the possibility of ending up on the backside of the bubble.

But they would care about a road loss to Neb. Making the tourney is about not under performing as well as over performing.

At-Large Teams with seeds 6-12 are going to have quad 3 losses and like Baylor’s team last year had 2 Quad 4 losses and another quad 3 loss in their non conference schedule and made it comfortably in the tournament

How is a Quad 3 loss all of sudden not a bad loss? Of course that’s a bad loss. And this place would have went up in flames. Nebraska #168. The worst in the Big Ten. We couldn’t have a Quad 3 loss with the possibility of ending up on the bubble and the possibility of ending up on the backside of the bubble.

I had such high hopes for you today. So the Nebraska road would only be significant if it is a loss and mean nothing at all, or possibly be detrimental according to your logic, if it is a win? I’m really trying to understand the logic but I’m coming up zeroes on it.

At-Large Teams with seeds 6-12 are going to have quad 3 losses and like Baylor’s team last year had 2 Quad 4 losses and another quad 3 loss in their non conference schedule and made it comfortably in the tournament

Doesn’t mean it isn’t a bad loss. Quad 3 and 4 are very bad losses. We had to win that game. And now we don’t have to worry about having anything less than a Quad 2 loss.
Remaining schedule:
8. Michigan State- Q1
15. Maryland- Q1
36. @Penn State- Q1
19. @Ohio State- Q1
35. Purdue- Q2
26. Iowa- Q1
29. @Michigan- Q1
41. @Minnesota- Q1
36. Penn State- Q2
35. @ Purdue- Q1
40. @Illinois- Q1
41. Minnesota- Q2
22. Wisconsin- Q1

Doesn’t mean it isn’t a bad loss. Quad 3 and 4 are very bad losses. We had to win that game. And now we don’t have to worry about having anything less than a Quad 2 loss.

Remaining schedule:

8. Michigan State- Q1

15. Maryland- Q1

36. @Penn State- Q1

19. @Ohio State- Q1

35. Purdue- Q2

26. Iowa- Q1

29. @Michigan- Q1

41. @Minnesota- Q1

36. Penn State- Q2

35. @ Purdue- Q1

40. @Illinois- Q1

41. Minnesota- Q2

22. Wisconsin- Q1

I think here is the difference between us. You viewed it as iu had to win that game because you don’t see 6 more wins on the schedule so winning that game was a must win to give them a chance to win 5 more of the remaining games. For me based on how the committee has selected teams in the past I didn’t view this as a win they had to have. Before last night all IU had to do was win 6 games to make the tournament. Doesn’t matter what 6 wins they have they just need 6. 1 “bad loss” wouldn’t of changed that.

Care to guess how many at-large teams had at least 1 quad 3 or 4 loss last year?

28 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU is 3-3 away from Assembly Hall. Those neutral court wins are more valuable then some on here wanted to believe. any wins away from home are big during selection. IU is in better shape then most believe

This is a great point. I’ve been somewhat ignoring the neutral court wins. I see ND has made a jump in the NET as well...it’s not inconceivable they could end up a quad 1 win. But 3-3 right now could easily end up 3-9 away from home with only one true road win. I still think that’s a talking point in selection Sunday, provided we find 5 more home wins.

29 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

This is a great point. I’ve been somewhat ignoring the neutral court wins. I see ND has made a jump in the NET as well...it’s not inconceivable they could end up a quad 1 win. But 3-3 right now could easily end up 3-9 away from home with only one true road win. I still think that’s a talking point in selection Sunday, provided we find 5 more home wins.

I agree we will pile up some more road losses. However, I do think we win at Michigan. It’s a matchup issue. They sell out to stop the 3 and refuse to double team down low. Which plays into IU’s strengths. Just hold serve at home and get another road win and we are looking really really good come selection Sunday. 

I think here is the difference between us. You viewed it as iu had to win that game because you don’t see 6 more wins on the schedule so winning that game was a must win to give them a chance to win 5 more of the remaining games. For me based on how the committee has selected teams in the past I didn’t view this as a win they had to have. Before last night all IU had to do was win 6 games to make the tournament. Doesn’t matter what 6 wins they have they just need 6. 1 “bad loss” wouldn’t of changed that.
Care to guess how many at-large teams had at least 1 quad 3 or 4 loss last year?

I don’t care what other teams do. I don’t want Indiana to have bad losses. Just because other teams do it, doesn’t mean we should accept it and move on. We’ve avoided having a bad loss on the schedule and that’s a good thing. Because losing to Nebraska would have been awful. And if we ended up on the wrong side of the bubble we’d all look at that loss as a big factor.

I believe there will be quite a few bubble teams with a little-a lot records away from home this season. I believe MSU is the only team in the Big Ten team with an above .500 record on the road.

I don’t care what other teams do. I don’t want Indiana to have bad losses. Just because other teams do it, doesn’t mean we should accept it and move on. We’ve avoided having a bad loss on the schedule and that’s a good thing. Because losing to Nebraska would have been awful. And if we ended up on the wrong side of the bubble we’d all look at that loss as a big factor.

Interesting stat IU last year didn’t have a single Quad 3 or 4 loss before selection Sunday and still got left out.

I agree we will pile up some more road losses. However, I do think we win at Michigan. It’s a matchup issue. They sell out to stop the 3 and refuse to double team down low. Which plays into IU’s strengths. Just hold serve at home and get another road win and we are looking really really good come selection Sunday. 

And the opposite of that...? Michigan is a good shooting team while we’re terrible at defending the 3. 3>2

That should actually be an interesting matchup. I fear Simpson will have a bigger impact on the game and we end up with an L.