Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Nebraska Game Thread 1/18 7 PM BTN

He is right.  In a way.  The Nebraska road win was meaningful as it was our only win on the road.  Meaningful unless that is our only one when the season ends.  I too believe we need at least 1 more.  Dont let Nebraska be the the only true road win of the season.  Looking at the remaining schedule. We could be really close to a bubble team.  Dont want to have a committee say "Indiana had just 1..Nebraska, same team everyone else beat too.

He is right.  In a way.  The Nebraska road win was meaningful as it was our only win on the road.  Meaningful unless that is our only one when the season ends.  I too believe we need at least 1 more.  Dont let Nebraska be the the only true road win of the season.  Looking at the remaining schedule. We could be really close to a bubble team.  Dont want to have a committee say "Indiana had just 1..Nebraska, same team everyone else beat too.

That’s where the 2 neutral court wins will factor in. 2 wins away from home. IU wins 5 more games(all top 50) they are in the tournament. IU only wins 4 more games they will be on the bubble with very good chance of making it depending on what others do around the bubble. IU not having any Quad 3 or 4 losses will be a plus if they do end up on the bubble

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That’s where the 2 neutral court wins will factor in. 2 wins away from home. IU wins 5 more games(all top 50) they are in the tournament. IU only wins 4 more games they will be on the bubble with very good chance of making it depending on what others do around the bubble. IU not having any Quad 3 or 4 losses will be a plus if they do end up on the bubble

Been saying the same thing...all road games left are Quad 1 games. Just find a way to get 5 more wins and they’re locked in no doubt as our NET will rise significantly over the next few weeks.

Pulled from the NCAA NET rankings.

Maryland (0-4), Michigan (0-5), and Minnesota (0-6) on the road.  Maryland and Michigan both have 3 neutral site wins to 0 neutral site losses but Minnesota only has 1 neutral site win to 1 neutral site loss. 

NET Rankings.png

Maryland (0-4), Michigan (0-5), and Minnesota (0-6) on the road.  Maryland and Michigan both have 3 neutral site wins to 0 neutral site losses but Minnesota only has 1 neutral site win to 1 neutral site loss. 
300385080_NETRankings.thumb.png.f1b0696d9f24e3e2e0c8186805447c1d.png

And Indiana stays the same.

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

NET Rankings.png

I think this chart is why we are going to see big ten refs insures we have about 10 teams between 8-12 wins in conference. There’s a delicate balance but balance it right and the big ten could be sending 12 teams to the tourney. 

I hope you are right but to just have to win 5 more could mean we go 4 and 9 to close out the BT regular season and get 1 win in the BTT. Going 4-9 down the stretch sounds like a team going to wrong way.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think this chart is why we are going to see big ten refs insures we have about 10 teams between 8-12 wins in conference. There’s a delicate balance but balance it right and the big ten could be sending 12 teams to the tourney. 

I'm not a betting man but I'd venture to say the Big Ten doesn't get 12 teams in.  I'm only seeing 9, at most 10, when the dust settles on this crazy conference season.  Minnesota will need to get hot and/or win a few games in the BTT.  pu isn't far behind them unless they go on a run.  They're at (10-8) with 7 remaining home games.  Will they be able to hold serve at home and win a game on the road?  Can O$U stop turning it over and get out of their funk of losing 5 of their last 6?  They have a really good win against Villanova in the noncon but will need to get to 18 wins too.  Michigan will also have to figure somethings out to get the ship righted.  Indiana will need to find 4, possibly 5, more wins to feel comfortable.

I hope you are right but to just have to win 5 more could mean we go 4 and 9 to close out the BT regular season and get 1 win in the BTT. Going 4-9 down the stretch sounds like a team going to wrong way.

Committee doesn’t take into consideration how a team finishes. Long time ago how you did in the last 10 games was a set criteria but they got rid of that. Example. Ohio St last year finished 8-12 in conference and lost 6 of their last 8 games before they won a BTT game and still made it in without having to play in the first 4 games.

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm not a betting man but I'd venture to say the Big Ten doesn't get 12 teams in.  I'm only seeing 9, at most 10, when the dust settles on this crazy conference season.  Minnesota will need to get hot and/or win a few games in the BTT.  pu isn't far behind them unless they go on a run.  They're at (10-8) with 7 remaining home games.  Will they be able to hold serve at home and win a game on the road?  Can O$U stop turning it over and get out of their funk of losing 5 of their last 6?  They have a really good win against Villanova in the noncon but will need to get to 18 wins too.  Michigan will also have to figure somethings out to get the ship righted.  Indiana will need to find 4, possibly 5, more wins to feel comfortable.

Purdue and Minny are the two hardest for sure. And not saying it’s going to happen but the refs are oddly controlling the flow of the season so far. If they each finish the season with 11 or wins then Purdue wins a game and Minny wins 2 games in the BTT they would both have 18 wins. Might be enough to get them in on the bubble. 

the way the refs are massaging the season I think they are dead set on 10 teams in. 

Purdue and Minny are the two hardest for sure. And not saying it’s going to happen but the refs are oddly controlling the flow of the season so far. If they each finish the season with 11 or wins then Purdue wins a game and Minny wins 2 games in the BTT they would both have 18 wins. Might be enough to get them in on the bubble. 

the way the refs are massaging the season I think they are dead set on 10 teams in. 

Illinois as well. Non conference SOS 236 will hold them back. Already a home quad 3 loss. They will need to keep winning.

Current Big Ten tiers:

Tourney bound - MSU, Maryland

Not tourney bound - Nebraska, Northwestern

TBD - everyone else

I don't have a good feel of the rest of the conference.  The majority of the teams you'd expect to play well at home and lose on the road.  A few of the teams playing decent to good in conference didn't have a great noncon (Wiscy, Ill, Rutgers).  A few teams had solid noncons but aren't setting the world on fire in conference (Iowa, IU, PSU, O$U, Mich). A few teams had poor noncons and aren't doing much in conference but still have good numbers (Minn, pu).

To have 12 teams in the top 50 of the NET rankings is bonkers though.

Conference (teams inside top 50)

AAC (3)

ACC (5)

ASUN (1)

A10 (2)

Big 12 (4)

Big East (5)

Big Ten (12)

Mountain West (1)

MVC (1)

PAC-12 (6)

SEC (6)

SoCon (1)

WCC (3)

Which is just dumb. I don’t doubt at all the Big Ten basically rigging games just to make some extra money. Rather than trying to gain talent and let it win.

51 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Could easily see 10 B1G teams this year depending on how things finish.

More likely to end at 9 though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think 9 for sure have it wrapped up by end of regular season with one of the other 3 doing enough in the BTT 

But won’t be surprised if the refs arrange something else 

It's not the officials deciding something.  The Big Ten office determines who officiates what games.  They get to pick what refs they'd like to have and how they want them calling the games.  Those refs don't call the same type of game conference to conference.  It's a Big Ten thing not a ref thing that's why... I LOVE THE FREAKING BIG TEN (this is not true)

No other conference in the country plays 20 conference games except the Big Ten.  The most anyone else plays is 18.

This ends up bumping teams SOS, but it's overkill.  And throw in the ACC/Big Ten challenge to boot and there are 21 games dictated by the conference + the Big Ten tournament that follows.

It's why non-conference strength of schedule should be taken with a grain of salt in the Big Ten, IMO.  The other power conferences have will play two more non-con games and two less conference than the Big Ten.  It's like the overall SOS doesn't include non-conference SOS.

Let's say team A has a non-con SOS of 200 and an overall SOS of 20 and goes 20-10.  Team B has a non-con of 10 and an overall SOS of 25 and has the same 20-10 record.  Which team is more deserving?  It's incredibly idiotic logic to say team B because 'they chose to play a tougher non-conference schedule'.  When non-conference SOS is included in overall SOS, the non-conference SOS is completely meaningless.

No other conference in the country plays 20 conference games except the Big Ten.  The most anyone else plays is 18.
This ends up bumping teams SOS, but it's overkill.  And throw in the ACC/Big Ten challenge to boot and there are 21 games dictated by the conference + the Big Ten tournament that follows.
It's why non-conference strength of schedule should be taken with a grain of salt in the Big Ten, IMO.  The other power conferences have will play two more non-con games and two less conference than the Big Ten.  It's like the overall SOS doesn't include non-conference SOS.
Let's say team A has a non-con SOS of 200 and an overall SOS of 20 and goes 20-10.  Team B has a non-con of 10 and an overall SOS of 25 and has the same 20-10 record.  Which team is more deserving?  It's incredibly idiotic logic to say team B because 'they chose to play a tougher non-conference schedule'.  When non-conference SOS is included in overall SOS, the non-conference SOS is completely meaningless.

ACC plays 20 as well. They started this year