Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Nebraska Game Thread 1/18 7 PM BTN

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

And the opposite of that...? Michigan is a good shooting team while we’re terrible at defending the 3. 3>2

That should actually be an interesting matchup. I fear Simpson will have a bigger impact on the game and we end up with an L.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Are we terrible at defending the 3. Thought we were middle of pack for big ten. 

EDIT

Just checked we are 8th in the big ten so not great but still holding teams below a point per attempt 

I think the Nebraska win is certainly not meaningless. Prior to it, Indiana did not have a single true road win on its resume. Without one, throw the quad stuff out the window. If it comes down to a bubble choice, you’re not really on the bubble, you’re dead man walking. I also believe we need a second one.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Interesting stat IU last year didn’t have a single Quad 3 or 4 loss before selection Sunday and still got left out.

Well when you lose 12 of 13 so deep into the season, it’s like to happen. Didn’t help being 17-15 overall, 8-12 in conference and just looking terrible for the majority of the season. So it was no surprise.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I agree we will pile up some more road losses. However, I do think we win at Michigan. It’s a matchup issue. They sell out to stop the 3 and refuse to double team down low. Which plays into IU’s strengths. Just hold serve at home and get another road win and we are looking really really good come selection Sunday. 

Oh yeah if win at Michigan and hold serve at home....or if we win any other road game and hold serve at home we’ll be debating our seed not whether we are in. I’m so on board for this.

It’s okay man, it’s impossible to get a “yea, but” person to understand. The rest of us appreciate your input and understand the logic.

Exactly. Just chuckling over this lol.

This was a very good win for us because of our road performances prior and the Big10 home court advantage. IU can afford to lose one home game the rest of the way if we get no more road victories. I know I might be crazy but I think IU can pull off an upset at The Barn this year. Not saying we will, but I think it could happen because their best player is their center, and IU can counter that will 3-4 good bodies to try to wear him down.

Anyway, need to stop getting way ahead. IU has a good chance to make a huge statement in these next two games. Take down what are seen as the top two teams of the B1G at home, and this team will take a lot of momentum and confidence with it.

Exactly. Just chuckling over this lol.

This was a very good win for us because of our road performances prior and the Big10 home court advantage. IU can afford to lose one home game the rest of the way if we get no more road victories. I know I might be crazy but I think IU can pull off an upset at The Barn this year. Not saying we will, but I think it could happen because their best player is their center, and IU can counter that will 3-4 good bodies to try to wear him down.

Anyway, need to stop getting way ahead. IU has a good chance to make a huge statement in these next two games. Take down what are seen as the top two teams of the B1G at home, and this team will take a lot of momentum and confidence with it.

I was thinking either at the Barn or the Library. If we can somehow win the next two at home we’d have quite a bit of momentum going into the Library. (Minus the super fan Hacksaw Jim Duggan)

I was thinking either at the Barn or the Library. If we can somehow win the next two at home we’d have quite a bit of momentum going into the Library. (Minus the super fan Hacksaw Jim Duggan)

Lol. They actually made her stop doing that sometime last year

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

People here will be mad if we only win 5 more games. Especially since we have 7 left at home. But we will really put that B1G home record to the test this coming week. And could really screw over the Big Ten some if we somehow went 2-0.

Certain people on here will be mad if we win out, get a #1 seed and lose in the final four, b/c we didn't win it all. Even winning only 5 more home games and nothing else will be difficult. But a realistic goal going into this season was to make the tournament. I say 5 more wins b/c I believe that gets us to meeting that realistic goal. If it was a down year for the conference then 19-12, 9-11 probably doesn't get it done, I'd be saying maybe 7 more wins at this point. This season, 5 more wins almost surely does it. So whoever wants to be mad about only winning 5 more home games and still getting in the tournament....well that's fine. But I don't think they were operating with realistic goals in mind. 

2 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

I think the Nebraska win is certainly not meaningless. Prior to it, Indiana did not have a single true road win on its resume. Without one, throw the quad stuff out the window. If it comes down to a bubble choice, you’re not really on the bubble, you’re dead man walking. I also believe we need a second one.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The Big Ten is 7-41 on the road and Nebraska beat Iowa and Purdue at home.  Not a meaningless win at all.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Are we terrible at defending the 3. Thought we were middle of pack for big ten. 

EDIT

Just checked we are 8th in the big ten so not great but still holding teams below a point per attempt 

Here are some league numbers.....I know sometimes our eyes deceive us.  I know mine do.  Note this is total statistics for the year.

Defense Big Ten ranking:

Opponent shooting percentage:  7th

Opponent three point shooting percentage:  8th

Blocks/game:  7th

Turnovers caused:  5th

Points give up:  8th

Offensive Big Ten ranking:

Shooting percentage:  7th

Three point shooting percentage:  14th

FT%:  11th

FT taken:  1st

Points/possession: 7th

Turnover percentage:  12th

Offensive rebound %:  2nd

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

The Big Ten is 7-41 on the road and Nebraska beat Iowa and Purdue at home.  Not a meaningless win at all.

With the possible exception of Northwestern, we could see that there isn't a single team this year that has a losing record at home in conference this year.  I would venture to say that Nebraska will win 3 of its last 6 at home.

Here are some league numbers.....I know sometimes our eyes deceive us.  I know mine do.  Note this is total statistics for the year.
Defense Big Ten ranking:
Opponent shooting percentage:  7th
Opponent three point shooting percentage:  8th
Blocks/game:  7th
Turnovers caused:  5th
Points give up:  8th
Offensive Big Ten ranking:
Shooting percentage:  7th
Three point shooting percentage:  14th
FT%:  11th
Points/possession: 7th
Turnover percentage:  12th
Offensive rebound %:  2nd

Are these are statistics for BT games only?

57 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Still 1st in attempted free throws? That's shocking with the last few games.

Was anyone else annoyed at how Nebraska showed up the officials before that second review? Easley knocks the ball out, immediately motions for them to review it, then heads over to the bench where Hoiberg already has his whiteboard out and is motioning for everyone to huddle for a timeout. Then the refs were like, well, guess we have no choice but to review it. 

I have a feeling teams that are losing in the final minute of games are going to start trying crap like this, not only to get a free timeout, but to pressure the refs into reviewing a play so they can try and steal a possession. It's just going to needlessly drag the games out. 

24 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Also Surprising to me.

We have 180 attempts in conference games and OSU is second at 150 !!
FT percentage, however, we are 11th.

24 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

I am unable to find the Big Ten only numbers.  All of the websites I'm finding are for the whole season.  

FWIW, though, we have shot 180 free throws in 7 conference games....or 25.7 per game.  My guess is that leads the conference.  Our opponents have shot 130, or 18.6 per game.

I am unable to find the Big Ten only numbers.  All of the websites I'm finding are for the whole season.  
FWIW, though, we have shot 180 free throws in 7 conference games....or 25.7 per game.  My guess is that leads the conference.  Our opponents have shot 130, or 18.6 per game.

https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2019-20/mbb/confonly?path=mbball

51 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Are these are statistics for BT games only?

No.  I can't find those.  I can find IU's Big Ten only stats, but not their rankings.

Positives in conference:

Taking 25.7 free throws per game

+8.2 rebounds per game

+7.1 free throws per game.

Neutral:

Opponents shooting 43% and 32% from three.

Negatives in conference:

Turning it over 14.1 times per game

Shooting 41% overall and 26% from three

67% free throws