Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Nebraska Game Thread 1/18 7 PM BTN

30% while attempting the fewest in the league..... that’s the key. My opinion that the team has no business attempting 26-30 in a game. That’s 18 misses tonight. Most very badly. Nearly all leading to points on the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The front court played well including the reserves. Jerome Hunter played just 8 minutes but was 2 for 3 both 3-point shots. D'Ron Davis didn't play much (6 minutes) but he played well--2 for 2 from the field. The guard play was not particularly good. Green didn't shoot well--just one 3-point shot, 1 for 6 from the field--but he generally played better than he has lately. Rob Phinisee started out well but ended up with four turnovers and just 2 for 7 from the field (1 for 5 from 3-point range). Al Durham--IU's best free-throw shooter--missed two clutch free throws and was just 1 for 6 from the field (1 for 5 from 3-point range). So the guards still need to step up if IU is to have any chance against Michigan State on Thursday.

Solid day for the resume. Not that we will move any projected seed lines or anything like that, but we got a road win (I honestly thought there was a good chance that on selection sunday the biggest talking point about us would be if the committee ever let a team in that didn't win a single road game). We avoided what appears to be the last chance to have a bad loss. Our win against FSU continues to trend well. And now we're set up with some momentum going into a big resume opportunity week. Though I am a bit concerned whether the OSU win will end up being a quad 1 win at the end of the day. 
Trolling side note: great job by Archie coaching eight 3's to go into the basketball ring tonight. We needed those. 
Irrelevant side note: Vandy went 0-25 from three tonight. Ooof. 

I just don’t see us going to the tourney

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I feel like the tournament is definitely within our grasp. 14-4 including a road win in the B1G, which is rarer than hens teeth. We have eight winnable regular season games left, IMO. If we can split those or even win 5/8, we’ll be looking pretty good going into the B1G tournament.
I’ll leave the punditry to UPSP, however. He knows this stuff in and out and I’d love to hear him weigh in on how we look after the win last night.

I feel like the tournament is definitely within our grasp. 14-4 including a road win in the B1G, which is rarer than hens teeth. We have eight winnable regular season games left, IMO. If we can split those or even win 5/8, we’ll be looking pretty good going into the B1G tournament.
I’ll leave the punditry to UPSP, however. He knows this stuff in and out and I’d love to hear him weigh in on how we look after the win last night.

The committee isn’t going to care about our road win at Nebraska. We actually moved back from 47 to 49 in the NET rankings. And Nebraska is still a Quad 3 win, even on the road as they are ranked 168. Indiana has actually fallen back about 8 spots in the last week.

We're 14-4 right now. We probably need 20 wins to be safely in the tournament, right? We've got 13 games left + the Big 10 tournament. A spot in the tournament is there for the taking. 

Considering how mediocre college basketball is this season, we should make it, even with good mediocre we are.

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

We may not. I’m not yet convinced we will. We need to find 5 more wins at least in my opinion to be comfortable. That would have to include some quad 1 wins. We are safely in the field now. Huge opportunity to pick up 2 quad 1 wins this week. Any one loss, even a couple in a row won’t be bad enough to move us out, maybe just a seed line. My point was that We’re sitting okay right now and yesterday’s results only helped.

We may not. I’m not yet convinced we will. We need to find 5 more wins at least in my opinion to be comfortable. That would have to include some quad 1 wins. We are safely in the field now. Huge opportunity to pick up 2 quad 1 wins this week. Any one loss, even a couple in a row won’t be bad enough to move us out, maybe just a seed line. My point was that We’re sitting okay right now and yesterday’s results only helped.

People here will be mad if we only win 5 more games. Especially since we have 7 left at home. But we will really put that B1G home record to the test this coming week. And could really screw over the Big Ten some if we somehow went 2-0.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:
We're 14-4 right now. We probably need 20 wins to be safely in the tournament, right? We've got 13 games left + the Big 10 tournament. A spot in the tournament is there for the taking. 

these are regular season wins but

6 more wins and IU is playing for seeding

5 more wins and IU is safely in the tournament.

4 more wins and IU will be on the bubble with a really good chance to make it given the conference they are playing in

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The front court played well including the reserves. Jerome Hunter played just 8 minutes but was 2 for 3 both 3-point shots. D'Ron Davis didn't play much (6 minutes) but he played well--2 for 2 from the field. The guard play was not particularly good. Green didn't shoot well--just one 3-point shot, 1 for 6 from the field--but he generally played better than he has lately. Rob Phinisee started out well but ended up with four turnovers and just 2 for 7 from the field (1 for 5 from 3-point range). Al Durham--IU's best free-throw shooter--missed two clutch free throws and was just 1 for 6 from the field (1 for 5 from 3-point range). So the guards still need to step up if IU is to have any chance against Michigan State on Thursday.

Armaan should also be included on the good side of the ledger too.  He looked like he belonged there last night.  And his box score looks like an Oladipo box score.  He was a nice player for us last night on the road.  I am thinking now with steady improvement he might possibly even be able to become one of our guys by the end of the year.

The committee isn’t going to care about our road win at Nebraska. We actually moved back from 47 to 49 in the NET rankings. And Nebraska is still a Quad 3 win, even on the road as they are ranked 168. Indiana has actually fallen back about 8 spots in the last week.

Committee will care about the road win at Nebraska. Last year committee gave Belmont an at large bid because they had solid wins in their conference on the road with teams that would compare to Nebraska. For instance if the resumes for Iowa, Purdue and IU are very close the committee is going to care that IU was the only team of the 3 to win their game at Nebraska while the other 2 lost

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Committee will care about the road win at Nebraska. Last year committee gave Belmont an at large bid because they had solid wins in their conference on the road with teams that would compare to Nebraska. For instance if the resumes for Iowa, Purdue and IU are very close the committee is going to care that IU was the only team of the 3 to win their game at Nebraska while the other 2 lost

True. Plus for all we know Nebraska could figure some stuff out and play themselves up a bit. No reason that quad 3 road win can’t turn into a quad 2 road win.