Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

IUWBB vs Northwestern 1/16 7 pm BTN+

No. 15 Hoosiers Set For Thursday Night Matchup With Northwestern

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – No. 15 Indiana will look to bounce back against a tough Northwestern squad on Thursday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.

NO. 15/16 INDIANA (14-3, 4-1 B1G) VS. RV/RV NORTHWESTERN (14-2, 4-1 B1G)
Thursday, January 16, 2020 • 7 p.m. ET
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall • Bloomington, Ind.
Broadcast: BTN+
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Statbrodcast
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Promotions: First 150 students with valid ID will get an Indiana Women's Basketball crew neck sweatshirt (south lobby) | IU Knothole Kids Club Day: All IU Knothole Kids Club Members receive free admission to the game by showing your membership credential at the Ticket Windows

ABOUT THE COACHES

Indiana Northwestern
Teri Moren Joe McKeown
Career Record: 316-199 (17th Season) Career Record: 704-348 (35th Season)
Indiana Record: 117-69 (6th Season) Northwestern Record:  71-120 (12th Season)

ABOUT THE WILDCATS
Northwestern also sits at the top of the Big Ten standings at 4-1 after a pair of wins over Minnesota and Purdue last week. Junior guard Lindsey Pulliam averages a team-high 18.5 points per game while senior centers Abbie Wolf and Abi Scheid are both in double figures with 11.4 points per game. The Wildcats are holding opponents to just 53.3 points per game - which ranks second in the Big Ten.

SERIES HISTORY
Indiana leads 40-38

This whole BTN+ thing still honks me off. Yes, I know I can pay $9 or $10 a month to watch IU sports, but I'm already paying a truckload of money to a cable company that gets BTN and am tired of ponying up. When I first got BTN, one channel next to it was clear, so you actually could get more than one B1G game at a time, but that's not the case anymore. ... So on a Saturday afternoon, if Penn State is playing Maryland and IU is playing Northwestern in football at the same time, because I'm out East -- I'm most likely stuck with Maryland-PSU. But I can at least stream the IU game on my tablet or laptop or phone -- whatever the case may be. Why can't they do that with all their offerings? Because I'm already a subscriber to a cable company that gets BTN, I should be able to stream tonight's game without paying any extra. It's a damn farce! 

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This whole BTN+ thing still honks me off. Yes, I know I can pay $9 or $10 a month to watch IU sports, but I'm already paying a truckload of money to a cable company that gets BTN and am tired of ponying up. When I first got BTN, one channel next to it was clear, so you actually could get more than one B1G game at a time, but that's not the case anymore. ... So on a Saturday afternoon, if Penn State is playing Maryland and IU is playing Northwestern in football at the same time, because I'm out East -- I'm most likely stuck with Maryland-PSU. But I can at least stream the IU game on my tablet or laptop or phone -- whatever the case may be. Why can't they do that with all their offerings? Because I'm already a subscriber to a cable company that gets BTN, I should be able to stream tonight's game without paying any extra. It's a damn farce! 

Its something that the Big East gives for free with your cable subscription or free period for all games all sports. Can't be great for recruiting. With that said it is what it is.

As for tonight NW has been really good outside of a 25 point blowout loss at home to Iowa. They are not that deep however and rely on one superstar in Lindsay Pulliam unlike IU who has several people who can score.

If IU wants to win Big Ten as they are capable this is a game they win at home against a good (but not great) NW team but to do that must bring best effort which will get it done.    

IU blows a huge lead late in fourth quarter and a five point lead with a minute left and we head to OT. Are we a true title contender? Next five minutes will tell us.

Holmes makes an absolute circus play in the post to give IU a four point lead with 2 min. left in OT. She is absolutely willing the Hoosiers tonight and if they win she is the sole reason why.

IU with an absolutely horrible loss. NW is not a bad team at all and is a sure tournament team but the fact that you have a 12 pt lead in fourth quarter and lose it and a 5 pt lead in last minute of fourth quarter and a 4 point lead in last minute of OT. This is after a blown lead at Iowa. The Iowa lead thing I get being on road but at home is not OK and now its VERY unlikely you win a Big Ten Title. Another tough one at Maryland that is likely to be three straight losses (although a win makes up this loss). Then schedule lightens up considerably but by then you are a couple games back in Big Ten race. 

Still will be a nice season barring a collapse but a special season with a Big Ten title is off the table. 

IU's one chance to win title still is to go to Maryland and steal the next game much like men had to do in 2012-2013 after two bad home losses they made up with shocking wins at Michigan St. and Michigan. 

Women need same now or title hopes over. Maryland went from bonus game to must win now which I don't see happening.

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

Its something that the Big East gives for free with your cable subscription or free period for all games all sports. Can't be great for recruiting. With that said it is what it is.

As for tonight NW has been really good outside of a 25 point blowout loss at home to Iowa. They are not that deep however and rely on one superstar in Lindsay Pulliam unlike IU who has several people who can score.

If IU wants to win Big Ten as they are capable this is a game they win at home against a good (but not great) NW team but to do that must bring best effort which will get it done.    

Literally every conference let's you stream games free through their own app or through espn app with your cable subscription...it really irks me that I can watch every acc, sec, mvc, big east, mac, ovc, horizon, asun,  ect and I need to pay extra to watch iu?!?!

Here's the problem the women face whether fair or not: with football or men's basketball if you lose people will criticize you. In Olympic sports people will just forget about you really fast.

I have seen it throughout the years with Olympic sports and it takes elite teams to get people excited (and its like this at every school to be clear) . The Women are getting attention like never before and have all of Hoosier Nation excited and paying attention for first time. With the main two sports if you start losing after showing promise people will criticize you but still pay attention. If the women start to struggle people will just forget the team is playing much like it has been for a while.

I saw it with baseball a couple years ago where we were a legit top 10 team and everyone got really excited. We ended up falling off to just a mid-pack Big Ten tourney team but after losing top status the team got a lot less discussion within the Hoosier community second half of season. Same with soccer. Despite being really good for a long time until they returned to top status in 2017 after a decade of 'pretty good' people really didn't give them the same attention they do now or in Jerry Yeagley era. Softball experienced something similar last year as well with a huge undefeated start to season before falling off in Big Ten play and people just stopped paying attention by second half of season. 

This in my opinion is so important why when you start strong as the Women have this year you need to work twice as hard to make sure you finish the season as strong as you start it and not have episodes like last night. Even if we fall to a good team people will forget about them until tourney time.

It has been great hearing them discussed this year like never before within Hoosier Nation but if they want that to continue and program to grow last night better never be repeated and they better play hard at Maryland since this is a BTN game (IU is lucky last night was BTN+ and not BTN or they would have gotten ten times the criticism) and then run off a bunch in a row against teams towards the bottom of the conference.

Worst case scenario IU is a mid-pack tournament team again but that finish will not grow the program and continue the momentum they have built this year. Last nights crowd was another 'lower' one of just under 4,000 but that was a high crowd before this year. if you want 3,000 to be the starting point rather then a big crowd and continue to be discussed within the main stream of Hoosier Nation you need an elite season to really take off and you cannot blow this.  

Apathy is worse then criticism and it takes very little for women's program (or any Olympic sport) to go back to receiving apathy from large parts of Hoosier Nation. Its unfortunate but that is the word we live in.