Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Rutgers Game Thread 1/15 7 pm BTN

1 minute ago, Ryno6284 said:

No way in Hell this $hit show will be allowed to continue for 5 more years!  It is done after next year if it doesn't turn around!

If we miss the tournament he needs to be fired.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yep, it's all on the fans.

This might have a bigger impact than you think. Most AD's are naturally going to be reluctant to admit they made a mistake, and they rely on those supportive fans to watch their backs. 

Several years ago, we had an ardent Crean supporter on this board. This guy thought Crean was awesome, and it would be a huge mistake to fire him. It didn't matter how much evidence was presented or how many ugly collapses we had, the guy wanted Crean here forever. In March of 2015, he claimed he wrote a lengthy letter to Glass telling him to ignore everyone calling for a change, to stay the course and give Crean another chance. A short time later, Glass announced Crean would be back. Coincidence? Maybe, but fans like that are a godsend to athletic directors who are feeling the heat. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He also had Zeller, Vonleh, Watford, Bryant, Yogi, JBJ.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

and Hanner, Stan the Man, Max Power, Jeremiah April and shipped off some 4-year guys like Abell. The Ryan era hasn't been good, but let's not act like everything Crean did even ignoring years 1-3 were gold.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Heres what is crazy. I think this team still makes the tournament not playing much better than we did tonight. The B1G is considered the best basketball conference this season. Let that sink in. And folks wonder why Ive gravitated back to the NBA  game?

We played horribly and didn't deserve to win tonight.  But it wasn't just that which made the game unwatchable.  Post players -- both on offense and defense -- are too often allowed to get away with whatever they can.  It's how a player like Myles Johnson shoots 72%.  He has zero actual offensive skill....he's just stronger and bumps his way in and it's allowed.  Hands defense is allowed.  But move a little on a screen?  Offensive foul.  Touch a guy fifteen feet away?  Foul.

As bad as we played in the first half down seven, we came out and make a direct intent to feed the ball to TJD after the break.  Three straight times we went to him....he got hammered on the first two and they made a nice defensive play on the third.....end result:  0 points, no fouls called.  Bottom line, TJD couldn't play in the game tonight because as a freshman he isn't strong enough to get through the contact of the Rutger bigs.  Alford Bailey is correct in terms of why people have gravitated back to the NBA game....at the NBA level, there might be calls based on rep, but in college basketball there is such inconsistency from game to game that you have no idea what is and what is not a foul.

Just now, 8bucks said:

Probably the higher scoring one but to be honest I want recruits who want to win and at this point I question why any recruit would feel confident that will happen here.

I’m right there with you, as I want to win as well. But with the offensive system the way it’s been are there any shooters out there eager to hop on board to help fix our shooting woes. After games like this I’d accept a Luke Brown with open arms. I’m just not confident he’d see the floor over the upper classmen as they seem to have a far longer leash even when they make awful mistakes. Just was so hard to watch tonight and it’s not like this has been an isolated performance. We played well against OSU but this was nearly as pathetic as the NW game.

Rutgers only scored 59 so it’s not like they played exceptionally well we just stunk out the place

33 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Yeah, most of those 3s came with separation. They just can’t shoot.

Number 1 problem and the number 1 reason we don't win games. Our outside shooting is atrocious. You could see Rutgers packing in the defense from the tip. There is only so much you can cleanly feed the post area without there being 4 or 5 defenders camping out down there. 

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

and Hanner, Stan the Man, Max Power, Jeremiah April and shipped off some 4-year guys like Abell. The Ryan era hasn't been good, but let's not act like everything Crean did even ignoring years 1-3 were gold.

Ain't nobody saying Crean was gold.  He was an inconsistent coach who deserved to be fired.

We're just saying that Archie is even worse.

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I figured out what the problem is. My son bought me a new pair of candy stripes for Christmas. I've only been able to wat h 2 games live(the only time I wear them). Both games they played like ****

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Who wore them in Archie's other two years?

I still feel we will make the tourney. Waiting until the end of the season to see what happens.

Just curious, if we don’t make the tournament and the rest of the season is like it has been so far, what do you think your reaction will be?

Yes this is a hypothetical but it’s a message board and that is allowed and encouraged

This might have a bigger impact than you think. Most AD's are naturally going to be reluctant to admit they made a mistake, and they rely on those supportive fans to watch their backs. 

Several years ago, we had an ardent Crean supporter on this board. This guy thought Crean was awesome, and it would be a huge mistake to fire him. It didn't matter how much evidence was presented or how many ugly collapses we had, the guy wanted Crean here forever. In March of 2015, he claimed he wrote a lengthy letter to Glass telling him to ignore everyone calling for a change, to stay the course and give Crean another chance. A short time later, Glass announced Crean would be back. Coincidence? Maybe, but fans like that are a godsend to athletic directors who are feeling the heat. 
His letter probably did nothing but crean supporters were plenty. In fairness he did alot not enough but alot. Archie is not showing signs he can get to creans level at this point. Pains me to say that but it is true imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

Don't think anyone is saying that everything Crean did was 'gold'.  But he won, the talent was usually pretty damn good.  Miller hasn't recruited well.  I see one pro on this team and he's a freshman.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Just curious, if we don’t make the tournament and the rest of the season is like it has been so far, what do you think your reaction will be?

Yes this is a hypothetical but it’s a message board and that is allowed and encouraged

If the rest of the season is like it has been so far, we'll keep seeing peaks and valleys and be somewhere from 8-12 to 11-9 in conference.

So it's all going to boil down to whether we make the tournament or not.