Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Rutgers Game Thread 1/15 7 pm BTN

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Don't think anyone is saying that everything Crean did was 'gold'.  But he won, the talent was usually pretty damn good.  Miller hasn't recruited well.  I see one pro on this team and he's a freshman.

Its a different animal when you play decent teams every night in the conference and you don't have a Fordham or Duquesne to play half-assed against and still win. That's what makes last year so frustrating when you have a definite NBA player and a 4-A player and squander a chance at making a good NCAA run away.

Can’t win a game in 2020 when shooting 2-19 from 3. Not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No doubt. While this was abnormally bad, I look at the roster and just don’t see which recruit was supposed to help us here.

Damezi was supposed to have been the shooter but not only is his % low his shot does not look like things will change

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Just curious, if we don’t make the tournament and the rest of the season is like it has been so far, what do you think your reaction will be?

Yes this is a hypothetical but it’s a message board and that is allowed and encouraged

Probably a lot more discouraged. I still want to see how next year works out with the new recruits. I believe Phinisee is still not 100%. He was one of our lockdown defenders and very confident on the floor and I’m hoping to see that happen before this season is over.

But after everyone figured out he couldn't win with elite talent recruiting dryed up

You kinda have to be able to recruit at a high level if you want to compete at the highest level. Our recruiting has sucked under Archie. It’s average at best.

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

His letter probably did nothing but crean supporters were plenty. In fairness he did alot not enough but alot. Archie is not showing signs he can get to creans level at this point. Pains me to say that but it is true imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

To be fair....IU did win the Big Ten championship in 2015-6.  Has to probably be Crean's best coaching season given that he did it while losing his leading scorer to start conference play.  27-8 and 15-3 in conference 

Crean's last 6 season at IU his average record was 23 and 11.5.  Now we are hoping to get back to that level again.

5 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Its a different animal when you play decent teams every night in the conference and you don't have a Fordham or Duquesne to play half-assed against and still win. That's what makes last year so frustrating when you have a definite NBA player and a 4-A player and squander a chance at making a good NCAA run away.

True, but Crean did have a team with Vonleh, Ferrell, and Troy Williams that went 17-15.  

In terms of Dayton, I don't think anyone would say they were playing half-assed against anyone when Miller was still there.  That's what has made the effort level of some players at IU so hard to swallow.

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You kinda have to be able to recruit at a high level if you want to compete at the highest level. Our recruiting has sucked under Archie. It’s average at best.

The biggest issue is that the whole is less than the individuals.  There seems to be too much of the same type of players and not enough that meets need.

True, but Crean did have a team with Vonleh, Ferrell, and Troy Williams that went 17-15.  
In terms of Dayton, I don't think anyone would say they were playing half-assed against anyone when Miller was still there.  That's what has made the effort level of some players at IU so hard to swallow.

He would not be the first guy to have been able to get kids who would go to Dayton to play harder than kids who would go to a school like IU.

I wish I could for the rest of the season. When is the first round of the Big Ten tourney? I imagine it’ll be over after that.

Why wish? Your choosing to watch each game. At anytime you can find other things to do besides watching a team that has a coach you dislike. Maybe the best thing to do might be the hardest thing for you to do and that is just cut bait until a change is made.

March 11th

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pathetic, embarrassing, expected.

Glad I DVRd this thrash and watched the expected unfold in about 15 minutes of Fast Forward garbage.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

You missed Archie being interviewed pre-game by someone 9 feet taller than him again. That and Joey yelling 'I'M THE F*****G BASKET' when IU had its only lead of the game.

I've had a bad day, so I'll ask for clarification. My attitude or?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app

The attitude of “this is fine.” I expected a loss as well, but I figured the team would actually try for more than a few minutes during the game. That they’d build a little on the effort shown in the Ohio State game. Instead they took a step back. That’s what frustrates me. That’s why there are no positives to take or even a “it’s a Big Ten road game, we were going to lose,” type of attitude. It’s more than just the L next to this game.

You missed Archie being interviewed pre-game by someone 9 feet taller than him again. That and Joey yelling 'I'M THE F*****G BASKET' when IU had its only lead of the game.

Missed Archie interview. Saw Brunks celebration. Lol. Bunch of non scoring duds.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm probably over-simplifying, but if we make baskets, we win. 
Sure, the offense could be run more smoothly -- a lot more smoothly. But from what I see, we're getting decent shots. They're just not going in. 
And that's been the theme all season, so it's not bad luck -- we just have a bunch of guys who can't shoot. And for a Power 5 program, that's very perplexing. 
A couple games back, Archie said our woes weren't because of awful shooting. They were because guys weren't getting the ball in the right spots to shoot. Now, Archie obviously forgot more about basketball than I'll never know, but I disagree with him there. We're getting good looks -- even wide-open 3-pointers -- but we just aren't making them. We're clanking them. Again. And again. And again.  
And (oversimplifying again), you HAVE to hit those at this level. You just can't miss wide-open 3s. They're not easy to get, so when you do get 'em,  you gotta make 'em. 
We're even missing bunnies and easy put-backs. 
Shot 32 percent tonight. Made 2 of 19 3s. That ain't good. 

I don’t think you’re oversimplifying at all. I think you are 100% spot on. I think all of our issues boil down to not being able to hit shots. Wide open shots. It affects everything negatively. Defense, transition, effort, coaching, etc.

The attitude of “this is fine.” I expected a loss as well, but I figured the team would actually try for more than a few minutes during the game. That they’d build a little on the effort shown in the Ohio State game. Instead they took a step back. That’s what frustrates me. That’s why there are no positives to take or even a “it’s a Big Ten road game, we were going to lose,” type of attitude. It’s more than just the L next to this game.

Gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app