Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

If IU loses to Rutgers...

What do you feel your response will be?

I want a win, obviously, but this is a team that is going to go up and down through the Big Ten.  This isn't a typical Rutgers team -- easily the best they've been since joining the Big Ten.  Vegas has Rugers as a three point favorite.  Sagarin has Indiana ranked 35th and Rutgers ranked 37th and puts Rutgers as a 2 point favorite at home.  Pom would have it about the same, maybe more around Rutgers by 4 -- they have Rutgers ranked 32nd and IU 35th.

The numbers seem to say that IU has about a 40% chance to win, so taking emotion out, it's a game I want to win but am not expecting.  Sure would go a long way, though, and gives us a little wiggle room.

FWIW, I am expecting a game that is going to be ugly at points.  I see two very similar teams....neither team shoots well at all from deep -- Rutgers hits 29%, IU hits 31%, Rutgers has hit three more total threes in the same number of games. 

Rutgers:  defense 13th in Pom, offense 96th

Indiana:  defense 42nd in Pom, offense 39th

Geo Baker has been out for Rutgers and is out with a broken thumb.  NJ.com interviewed coach Steve Pikiell on Monday and he indicated that it would be 'examined this week' and indicated that once he does get back that he'll need to get back into shape and 'get some whacks' on his playing hand, so I'm sure he's out for the IU game.  We know Phinnissee came off a little gimpy and hopefully he's a go tomorrow.

It's a strange match up size wise because Rutgers plays pretty big without Baker in the lineup -- they typically have starters of 6'4", 6'6", 6'7", 6'7", and 6'10".  With this lineup, they really have shut down opponent guards pretty well, particularly short guards.  It's really a tough set to play RP and DeVonte at the same time against....if we are successful doing so, that spells trouble for them because they don't go small well.

We are IU and they are Rutgers. We should win this game. However, this isn’t a terrible Rutgers team but I believe we owe them a little payback for the BTT.

Hopefully, the IU alum up in the area show up for the game to make it a bit more neutral. This is a winnable game and we need to get all the winnable games we can. It won’t be easy traveling to NJ then back to Indiana and on to Nebraska. Let’s get the front end of this road trip!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We are IU and they are Rutgers. We should win this game. However, this isn’t a terrible Rutgers team but I believe we owe them a little payback for the BTT.

Hopefully, the IU alum up in the area show up for the game to make it a bit more neutral. This is a winnable game and we need to get all the winnable games we can. It won’t be easy traveling to NJ then back to Indiana and on to Nebraska. Let’s get the front end of this road trip!

How about owing them for the @$$ kicking they gave us last season?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think as long as IU wins one this week there’s not to much to fear but honestly with Baker out would really like to see us win both. If we play like we did on Saturday we should win tbh 

Their defense and rebounding should be a concern. This certainly isn't a Rutgers-of-old team. The RAC hasn't been kind to IU in years past either. Plenty to be concerned about IMO. 

.... I will be mad because I am always mad if/when IU loses...

But I do expect to lose on the road more often than not the rest of the year so I wouldn't be surprised.

Agree with most above, if we can split this week it will be a WIN... if we do go 2-0 that is outstanding.... if we go 0-2 that sucks but again wouldn't be totally unexpected

31 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Winning on the road is proving to be near impossible in the BIG this year. I think it's more how we play than if we win or lose. If we show up with no energy and get blown out, it's a major issue. If Rutgers just plays better, makes more shots, gets a few more beneficial calls, etc. then I don't know if losing means much overall. I just don't want to watch this team play sloppy offense and uninspired defense.

This basically sums it up for me. Play with some dam heart is all I really care about.

Well, I would like to see us make our FT and not turn the ball over ...

Screw it. Go out and win the dam game ...

I’m looking for a good all around effort from this team to continue from the OSU game.

In all honesty, with the way the entire B1G season has went and our recent road play, I don’t expect a victory. However, I want to see our Hoosiers play very hard and be very competitive.

If we have a lackluster showing then I don’t feel like Archie’s message truly got through. It’s just hard to gauge because of how the season has went for the entire conference.

I want a victory, but I do feel we need to split 1-1 these next two games to feel better about this team.

I understand wanting to be good, but at some point when teams like Rutgers and Penn State get good it creates a bad state where the Big Ten cannibalizes each other. Its sort of like a communist economy which doesn't work and why we need a capitalist economy with haves and have nots.

Not sure what can be done about this though as you cannot tell teams like Rutgers they cannot try to be competitive anymore then you can tell IU Football that now that they had a better year.

To answer the question though as long as we play hard this is a (somehow) decent Rutgers teams and a loss is not that shameful. Should really beat Nebraska though.

I want to see all out effort in both games this week. Let’s make that a trend. 

1-1 this week is acceptable now. However if we win the game tonight, then 2-0 needs to be the expectation. I know Nebraska played us tough and beat Purdue. But if we play with the effort needed, then Nebraska should be a W.