Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JerryYeagley23

Big Ten Teams in the Polls???

Lot of talk about how strong the Big Ten is and how deep it goes. You can make cases for at least 8-10 teams getting nationally ranked. Who deserves a digit beside their name after this weekend? Illinois and Wisconsin probably have a case based on quality wins in conference, but 5 and 6 losses, respectively, doesn’t look good on paper. Have to think Ohio State and PSU drop out of the Top 25. Purdue stomping #8 MSU currently at home, and has a blowout W over UVA, but only two games over .500. IU is 13-3 overall with wins over #10 (and likely moving up) FSU and #11 OSU, do they replace PSU and get in at #24 or #25??

Tough to gauge how the Big Ten teams rank nationally with so much parity in conference, but interested to hear what Hoosier Nation thinks. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Indiana has shot themselves in the foot with untimely losses. Mainly the @$$ kickings they received on the road by Wisconsin and Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Totally agree on the Wiscy and Maryland losses. I’m still in “wait and see” mode personally with us. But the Big Ten is getting a ton of publicity, most recently on ESPN, for how many teams they’ll put in the tourney. So you’d think the conference HAS to get at least 4-5 teams in the polls. If Penn St and OSU fall out as most expect, that leaves only two ranked teams in the B1G. Wiscy, IU, ILL, Rutgers and PU all have warts, but one of that group HAS to sneak in based on the conference strength right?? 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

Totally agree on the Wiscy and Maryland losses. I’m still in “wait and see” mode personally with us. But the Big Ten is getting a ton of publicity, most recently on ESPN, for how many teams they’ll put in the tourney. So you’d think the conference HAS to get at least 4-5 teams in the polls. If Penn St and OSU fall out as most expect, that leaves only two ranked teams in the B1G. Wiscy, IU, ILL, Rutgers and PU all have worts, but one of that group HAS to sneak in based on the conference reputation right?? 

Ohio St won’t fall out of the polls. The number of tournament teams a conference gets has 0 to do with polls. Polls are for fans. For me it’s hard to put stock in polls when people who get an AP vote clearly don’t pay attention. Look at some of Gary Parrish polls attack columns. Some are just ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ohio St won’t fall out of the polls. The number of tournament teams a conference gets has 0 to do with polls. Polls are for fans. For me it’s hard to put stock in polls when people who get an AP vote clearly don’t pay attention. Look at some of Gary Parrish polls attack columns. Some are just ridiculous

You don’t think OSU drops out of the top 25?? They’ve lost four in a row, and are tied with Northwestern for 14th in the B1G. Can you really have a team ranked, with 12 teams above them in the conference rankings? The optics seem tough on that. 

You don’t think OSU drops out of the top 25?? They’ve lost four in a row, and are tied with Northwestern for 14th in the B1G. Can you really have a team ranked, with 12 teams above them in the conference rankings? The optics seem tough on that. 

Buckeyes were 11th entering this week and lost 2 games on the road to tournament quality teams. I would drop them down maybe to 18th but not all the way out of the polls. But again it’s the AP polls and some voter who doesn’t pay attention may move them up in the top 10 for next week

That’s utter crap.
If we’d lost the home games to Nebraska or NW, those would’ve been bad losses. But we didn’t lose those games.
If a team is gonna lose 8-12 games, losses like Wisky and Maryland on the road are the exact definition of “not a bad loss”.

That doesn’t really matter. Had we beaten Wisconsin, we would have been ranked. Even a super close game could have gotten us in. Instead we got destroyed. That pushed us back. Then played like poop before losing to Arkansas at home. Then got destroyed by Maryland. It’s a week to week poll. It combines what you’ve done all year and that most recent week.

That’s utter crap.
If we’d lost the home games to Nebraska or NW, those would’ve been bad losses. But we didn’t lose those games.
If a team is gonna lose 8-12 games, losses like Wisky and Maryland on the road are the exact definition of “not a bad loss”.

Here is a gem from earlier in the year. Want to know why people like me do not take polls seriously. Because of AP voters like this guy

What if I told you an AP voter moved Purdue up -- YES, UP -- to No. 11 after the Boilermakers dropped to 6-4 via a 14-point loss to a Nebraska team that entered ranked 150th at KenPom thanks to losses to UC Riverside and Southern Utah?

POLL ATTACKS:

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Here is a gem from earlier in the year. Want to know why people like me do not take polls seriously. Because of AP voters like this guy

What if I told you an AP voter moved Purdue up -- YES, UP -- to No. 11 after the Boilermakers dropped to 6-4 via a 14-point loss to a Nebraska team that entered ranked 150th at KenPom thanks to losses to UC Riverside and Southern Utah?

POLL ATTACKS:

Maybe human error since it was a single AP voter?? Purdue hasn’t been ranked in the polls since they lost to Texas in their second game of the season. It’s obvious you don’t like the AP polls, but just for the sake of discussion, let’s use the Coach’s poll or the ESPN Power Rankings. How do you justify which of the B1G teams at 2-10 in the conference standings deserve a national ranking?

22 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That doesn’t really matter. Had we beaten Wisconsin, we would have been ranked. Even a super close game could have gotten us in. Instead we got destroyed. That pushed us back. Then played like poop before losing to Arkansas at home. Then got destroyed by Maryland. It’s a week to week poll. It combines what you’ve done all year and that most recent week.

Okay...then riddle me this:

A team like IU, playing in the toughest conference in the country, has an excellent year and goes to the tourney with “only” 9 losses.

Which games would you consider to be non-harmful, “good” losses?

Okay...then riddle me this:
A team like IU, playing in the toughest conference in the country, has an excellent year and goes to the tourney with “only” 9 losses.
Which games would you consider to be non-harmful, “good” losses?

I think anytime you lose by 15+ it’s a bad loss I don’t care who or where you play. Arky just hurt us fans and not exactly our resume though it would have helped a ton to be 14-2 right now. Losing to Rutger, Nebraska or Northwestern are no bueno. I don’t care where NET has them or anything. We can’t lose to those 3. Everyone else, depends how we lose. But to only have 9 losses, means only 7 less. I’d like to keep it under that but this team is pretty bipolar. It’d be nice to end the B1G season with just 7 losses.

I think anytime you lose by 15+ it’s a bad loss I don’t care who or where you play. Arky just hurt us fans and not exactly our resume though it would have helped a ton to be 14-2 right now. Losing to Rutger, Nebraska or Northwestern are no bueno. I don’t care where NET has them or anything. We can’t lose to those 3. Everyone else, depends how we lose. But to only have 9 losses, means only 7 less. I’d like to keep it under that but this team is pretty bipolar. It’d be nice to end the B1G season with just 7 losses.

In my opinion Rutgers shouldn’t be lumped into the same group as Nebraska or northwestern this year. If you would of said Rutgers at home is a bad loss then I would maybe agree but losing to them on the road wouldn’t be considered a bad loss for me at least. I watched Seton Hall get drilled earlier in the year and Seton Hall is a really good team. At least for this year Rutgers is playing at a level that is more in line with the middle of the B1G instead of the bottom. Just my opinion

1 hour ago, killerbeezer said:

I think they get ranked this week. Unfortunately I think that’s the worst thing for them. 

Been a bad weekend in the B1G to be ranked. Ranked B1G teams went 0-4 this weekend. Maybe you’re right, I’m okay if IU sits in the “others receiving votes” category for another week. 

4 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

In my opinion Rutgers shouldn’t be lumped into the same group as Nebraska or northwestern this year. If you would of said Rutgers at home is a bad loss then I would maybe agree but losing to them on the road wouldn’t be considered a bad loss for me at least. I watched Seton Hall get drilled earlier in the year and Seton Hall is a really good team. At least for this year Rutgers is playing at a level that is more in line with the middle of the B1G instead of the bottom. Just my opinion

Fur sure Rutgers shouldn't be lumped in with the other 2.

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s utter crap.

I agree that at tourney time the Wiscy and MD road losses will not be bad losses.

Right now, however, a pollster paying attention (which is definitely not all of them) heard everyone pile on about our early conference schedule, saw narrow home wins against Northwestern/Nebraska and we were smoked (behind by 30...not competitive) at MD and Wiscy.

The OSU win will help.  If we spilt the upcoming road games (not easy in the BT this year) and then beat MSU at home I could see us in the 18-22 range.